Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who Has the Original HD Hotchkis TVS Suspension Installed?

'03 Shamu/Build #04441
    Name: Sean

Liked 32 Times in 30 Posts

Who Has the Original HD Hotchkis TVS Suspension Installed?

All,

Just purchased one of the original HD version Hotchkiss TVS kits a few weeks ago and want your feedback before installing it. Pros/cons, etc. Read up on it before and after the purchase but need to make a decision within the next week or two since I have to press the CalTrac bushings into whichever way I decide to go.

Really like the stance of the current setup I have except it's a little loose in the rear and I have some body roll too which if remedied, could reduce tire rub as well. Been discussing my options with a few friends and I may be able to achieve the ride I'm looking for by installing a pan hard bar and a stock lighting sway bar and stick with my current setup. On the other hand and in order to install the Hotchkis kit, I'll need to go back to stock leaf spring hangers which I no longer have because I tossed them after installing the Belltech kit (being a newbie (still am) and having no idea those things cost approx. $100 each if I needed them again).

Keep in mind that I plan to keep the front end exactly the way it is because it feels stock. I've had other lifted / lowered vehicles and drop / lift spindles are definately the way to go to maintain a decent ride. I'm focussing on the rear end and looking for feedback whether it be good, bad or ugly, all feedback is welcome. Could be I'm full of chit and just dreaming;)

Current setup
    Part #: 2350 BELLTECH Drop Spindle Set
    Part #: 616-1040 Camber/Caster
    Part #: 61844166 (KYB Shock/Strut (Front)

Part #: 6418 BELLTECH Hanger Kit
    Part #: 6700 BELLTECH Shackle Kit
    Part #: MA829 (Monroe Max-Air Air Shock Absorber (Rear/Adjustable)

'03 Shamu/Build #04441

Bump. 34 views, no responses? Anyone?

aka not rite
    Name: Bob

Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
    Hi Sean. There you go 1 response. Lol. I would try the L rear sway bar first and if your not happy with it you can always sell it.

'03 Shamu/Build #04441

Thanks Bob;) Was hoping someone who has it installed would chime in though. Probably going to do just that but still looking for a sway bar. Just missed out on one today but I'll keep at it.

aka not rite

TJ has one on Belle just" borrow" it. Lol

Name: Allen

Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B.O.B. View Post
    TJ has one on Belle just" borrow" it. Lol
    Actually, both Belle and Heidi have Lightning rear sways .

aka not rite

Quote Originally Posted by throttle jockey View Post
    Actually, both Belle and Heidi have Lightning rear sways .
    See he has two spares. Lol

#8022 L&S oil separator, color matched tailgate handle and license plate bulb covers . Fog light mod ,Venom mod , JLP CAI and JLP rear shackles for a 3" drop out back. More to come.......SOLD ...........no more to come.

'03 Shamu/Build #04441

Quote Originally Posted by B.O.B. View Post
    See he has two spares. Lol
    Until I can get my hands on one, was thinking to just put the Hotchkis on to try out the feel. I mean I'm waiting anyway and this would give me a good idea of what to expect. They're both 1" right Allen?
    JBA Coffee & Cars 06/12/2016

Oki 916's Dad NHTOC #103
    Name: Slick

Liked 60 Times in 49 Posts
    I've got a Hotchkis TVS. Have had it some time, got it used. Don't know if "original."
    After install handles like a sports car in the turns (Highway ramps)

As far as tire rub, don't know what to add.
    Slick
    "Suffer No Fools"
    "USMC 1968-2004"
    NHTOC #103
    02 DSG, Born 6/18/02, Adopted 12/27/02
    BG Racing Builder- Ford racing short block,
    Trickflow heads, 6# Lower, Magnum Powers Idler Pulley
    Hotchkiss suspension, D-MR Hood Mod, D-MR Cannon Performance Exhaust,
    Stiffler long bars, JLP street intercooler tank, JLP forced air induction,
    KB waiting to be put on.

'03 Shamu/Build #04441

Quote Originally Posted by Sport90 View Post
    I've got a Hotchkis TVS. Have had it some time, got it used. Don't know if "original."
    After install handles like a sports car in the turns (Highway ramps)

As far as tire rub, don't know what to add.
    Thanks Slick! If you've had it for a while, it's probably the HD version versus the L version they sell now. I've read in several threads this to be the case and if I recall correctly, your son has the same setup. Remember someone saying on/off ramps at 80 MPH!

How does the ride feel (while not using it as a sport car)? Stiff, bouncy, etc or does it ride smooth like stock? I'm getting older and don't really go for that now a days;)

Oki 916's Dad NHTOC #103

I think the ride is a shade above smooth to the stiff side, but comfortable. I'm 67 and there are only a few instances when it "bounces." There's a bridge in Wilmington that when I go over it, at the right speed, it'll start to bounce as I cross the sections. But on a decent road rides like the other DD- 09 Volvo.

'03 Shamu/Build #04441

Quote Originally Posted by Sport90 View Post
    I think the ride is a shade above smooth to the stiff side, but comfortable. I'm 67 and there are only a few instances when it "bounces." There's a bridge in Wilmington that when I go over it, at the right speed, it'll start to bounce as I cross the sections. But on a decent road rides like the other DD- 09 Volvo.
    Thanks again Slick. Sounds like a real decent ride. Similar to what I have now. Feels like car unless the road is bumpy or there's big dips (depending on the dip, I bottom out in the rear and slightly rub in the front, especially in a turn). With the stock wheels and tires, it hardly rubbed at all.

Which tires are you running on your 22" reps? Staggered? Hopefully Oki chimes in soon too because I think he does. SLOWBRA is running the same set up too I believe.

Oki 916's Dad NHTOC #103

I'm in Tally at OKI's house. he has RUSlow 1000 lb coils, L-spec Bilstein shocks, Helwig front/rear sway bars, JLP drop shackles. he has a 2/4 drop, almost level

I'm staggered. will check sizes when I got home

'03 Shamu/Build #04441

Thanks. Thought he was set up differently. 2/4 drop is really all we have in common.

Name: Robert

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.4 F150 View Post
    All,

Just purchased one of the original HD version Hotchkiss TVS kits a few weeks ago and want your feedback before installing it. Pros/cons, etc. Read up on it before and after the purchase but need to make a decision within the next week or two since I have to press the CalTrac bushings into whichever way I decide to go.

Really like the stance of the current setup I have except it's a little loose in the rear and I have some body roll too which if remedied, could reduce tire rub as well. Been discussing my options with a few friends and I may be able to achieve the ride I'm looking for by installing a pan hard bar and a stock lighting sway bar and stick with my current setup. On the other hand and in order to install the Hotchkis kit, I'll need to go back to stock leaf spring hangers which I no longer have because I tossed them after installing the Belltech kit (being a newbie (still am) and having no idea those things cost approx. $100 each if I needed them again).

Keep in mind that I plan to keep the front end exactly the way it is because it feels stock. I've had other lifted / lowered vehicles and drop / lift spindles are definately the way to go to maintain a decent ride. I'm focussing on the rear end and looking for feedback whether it be good, bad or ugly, all feedback is welcome. Could be I'm full of chit and just dreaming;)

Current setup
    Part #: 2350 BELLTECH Drop Spindle Set
    Part #: 616-1040 Camber/Caster
    Part #: 61844166 (KYB Shock/Strut (Front)

Part #: 6418 BELLTECH Hanger Kit
    Part #: 6700 BELLTECH Shackle Kit
    Part #: MA829 (Monroe Max-Air Air Shock Absorber (Rear/Adjustable)
    How do you like your front shocks?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast