Thread: Brake Upgrade

Name: Shawn

Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts

Brake Upgrade

I'm officially in the market to upgrade the brakes on my 03 HD.

After months of debating I am definitely ordering the Hydratech hydroboost.

I am considering also purchasing stainless steel brake lines at the same time since I'll also want to replace the rotors/pads with something that isn't warped.

What I'm not sure is if I should go ahead and upgrade the front calipers to the Lightning/F250 calipers. I DD this truck and tow once a month. I like the idea of having the upgraded F250 setup due to the thicker rotors even if it's a marginal improvement over the F150 setup.

I understand if I go with the F250 calipers I'll need to get specific rotors, pads and also new lug nuts. Is there anything else I should be considering?

Name: Rich

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    The lug nuts are te same 14mmX2.0. The calipers you would also need the mounting brackets as they are different from the regular ones on our trucks. New bearings wouldn't be a bad idea either.

3. The Following User Liked tpr103 For This Useful Post:

BRIANV (08-01-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by tpr103 View Post
    The lug nuts are te same 14mmX2.0. The calipers you would also need the mounting brackets as they are different from the regular ones on our trucks. New bearings wouldn't be a bad idea either.
    I swore I read the studs on the Lightning rotors were 12mm. Will have to verify that just to triple check.

Didn't we exchange messages about the hydroboost and calipers earlier this year? I've put the brackets for the Lightning/F250 calipers on my list. Will the Hydratech unit come with all the lines needed for install?

1999-2000 L were 12mm. We did talk about the hydroboost. The hydratech system is expensive but your getting a show worthy part. You can get an f250/350 one new for around $300. Then you will need the plate the jc customs sells for $150. Which is a copy of the hydratech. You will need to borrow or buy a special socket to change the plate. Then you will need the lines and fittings. In the long run I think it would only be $100-200 more for the hydratech unit. But you will have everything you need at once.

Name: BRIAN

Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts
    I called hydratech yesterday its $850. everything included please verify the lug nut size. Imgetting ready to do the lightning swap

Brake Upgrade

I'm getting a Hydratech for sure. The only decision I have left to make is if I should get the stainless brake lines and also upgrade the calipers/rotors.

Brian - what made you decide to do the Lightning swap? Also, what calipers manufacturer are you going with?

Hydratech is ordered.

I have rotopro rotors with stifflers lines. Still have my factory brakes. Waiting for the pads to wear out then I'll order L rotors and pads

'03 Shamu/Build #04441
    Name: Sean

Liked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SLOWBRA View Post
    Hydratech is ordered.
    Cool! Nice chatting with you Shawn. Let us know how it goes bud.
    JBA Coffee & Cars 06/12/2016

Quote Originally Posted by SLOWBRA View Post
    I'm getting a Hydratech for sure. The only decision I have left to make is if I should get the stainless brake lines and also upgrade the calipers/rotors.

Brian - what made you decide to do the Lightning swap? Also, what calipers manufacturer are you going with?
    The lightning rotors are a little bigger and the bosses on the caliper brackets look beefier. What i was gonna do was go with motorcraft but i couldn't find that brand cheap. And my only reasoning behind that is the castings looked smooth and i figured less work for the powdercoater. So since i work at napa i pulled the best looking ones off the shelf tool em apart and having them powdercoated

Brake Upgrade

After some research I ordered the Power Stop KC1919-36 Truck and Tow kit. It's the Lightning setup.

Here is the kit for those interested. Ended up getting mine from Amazon instead of Rockauto. http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....id=461&jpid=16

Looks like a nice complete kit with a 3yr warranty. This coupled with the Hydratech Hydroboost is going to rock!
    Last edited by SLOWBRA; 08-07-2016 at 11:02 PM.

aka not rite
    Name: Bob

Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
    Looks like you will have some nice whoa with all that go.

Name: Benny

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I have that exact same Power Stop kit on mine. Had it for about three years now. I have no complaints works fine for me. im about to replace the rotor here soon for the first time.

15. The Following User Liked BENNY832 For This Useful Post:

BRIANV (08-08-2016)

WARNING !!!!!!!!! WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The lightning calipers will not work if you have belltech lowering spindles. I had to shave some metal off of the spindle where the caliper bracket mounts. the calipers rub the spindles

'03 Shamu/Build #04441
    Name: Sean

Liked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRIANV View Post
    WARNING !!!!!!!!! WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The lightning calipers will not work if you have belltech lowering spindles. I had to shave some metal off of the spindle where the caliper bracket mounts. the calipers rub the spindles
    Thanks Brian. I saved a set for later on Amazon and they state they didn't fit my truck (without knowing I have Belltech spindles too). I was wondering why since Shawn got them through them.

No no other issues with the Lightning style rotors though? Got pics?