Thread: Local performance shop prices??

Name: Brandon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Local performance shop prices??

I recently visited my local speed shop and was quoted a price of just under $2400 for a laundry list of parts installed on my basicly stock 02 HD. It seemed a bit high to me but I wanted other opinions. I can do the work myself, I have the tools and knowledge but sometimes its easier to just let someone else do it. So here is the list....

Walbro gss342 with install kit
    Swap out fuel pumps
    supercharger pulley includes hubs/pulley ring
    Crank pulley kit lightning 4 lb
    Sct handheld and custom tune
    Tr6 plugs and install
    Fuel filter and belt

Seems a bit excessive to me and the claims of over 100 hp after they are finished seemed a bit off to me. For that money I was thinking at least an intake and exhaust woulld be included there especially since Im currently stock but this is the exact list I was given on their quote invoice.

Name: Allen

Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
    No need for fuel pumps with those basic bolt ons.

There's no need to swap the SC pulley. When discussing pulley swaps it all boils down to pulley ratio which is the ratio of revolutions the SC makes for every one revolution of the crank pulley. You an achieve the same desired end result by only swapping the lower pulley. This will allow you to run the larger factory HD upper so you don't increase the likelihood of belt slip that comes with the use of a smaller SC pulley.

Swapping plugs is more of a PITA than difficult but it can be an intimidating task the first time you do it.

Swapping the fuel filter is simple also but sometimes the "quick disconnect" fitting(s) can be a PITA to remove. You will need to buy a quick-disconnect tool but they are available for about $8 from your local parts store.

Name: Brandon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I didnt think I would need the fuel pumps. From all my research and reading here no one has mentioned them with just a few bolt ins but I know not feeding it properly with all that air coming in will definately cause issues. I can do the plug swap and the work myself, it wouldnt be the first time Iv cussed a truck during some wrench turning. This truck makes me nervous because its my first that isnt naturaly aspirated and i dont wanna skip something out of ignorance in the process.

Name: Allen

Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
    Take your time and take pictures of the vacuum lines if you need to just to be sure you get everything back together correctly.

Regarding exhaust... the factory manifolds flow well so you don't have to jump straight to headers. I recommend starting with a cat-back system which will provide a nice little rumble and will free up a little restriction from the system.