Thread: motor won't turn

Name: Evan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

motor won't turn

just built the motor, reputable machine shop sleeved the block and fit the Pistons, diamond pistons .020 over 19cc dish, gt500 rods, mild ported stock heads, mild cams, 2.3 Whipple, 60lb injectors, 16lbs boost, tuned for this set up.

cycled the fuel pump once, Fired right up, sounded good, ran for 45 min at the shop, all different rpms, shut down, checked and topped up fluids, road tested, drove 2 to 3 miles, turned around, halfway back it started to run rough, by the time I looked down it stalled, checked fluids, checked for leaks, tried to restart, starter sounded like it was trying but wouldn't turn the motor over, towed home.

came back next day, tried it, it turned over for a second but not a full rotations, put charger on, tried an hour later, turned over several times slowly. tried an hour and a half later, wouldn't turn at all. tried to turn by hand, will not move.

no fluids down or contaminated, no check engine light, no unusual noises before it stalled

any ideas?

'03 Shamu/Build #04441
    Name: Sean

Liked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    Damn dude. If it fired right up and ran fine for 45 mins at all RPM's, I'm at a loss. Have any gauges installed? If so, we're they (or the stock gauges for that matter) reading normal while it ran for the 45 minutes? Checked the battery, charging system, getting spark, spark plugs and is it getting fuel, correct?

Strange it won't even turn by hand though. Sounds seized. Not what you wanted to hear and I hope I'm wrong. Hopefully some other folks chime in soon with some more opinions.
    JBA Coffee & Cars 06/12/2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    no gauges installed, i'm thinking piston to wall clearance was maybe too tight or ring gap was too tight, but machine shop checked all that, it's a reputable machine shop, only builds race motors

'03 Shamu/Build #04441
    Name: Sean

Liked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flip_86 View Post
    no gauges installed, i'm thinking piston to wall clearance was maybe too tight or ring gap was too tight, but machine shop checked all that, it's a reputable machine shop, only builds race motors
    Yeah, sounds like something's definitely too tight. Have you pulled the blower belt to see if you can turn each (crank & blower) by hand?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ya, the blower is off the motor now, tried turning the motor over using a pry bar on the bolts in the blank pulley, won't move in either direction