Thread: RATTLE SOUND from motor

Name: D'low

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unhappy RATTLE SOUND from motor

so lately my truck has been making this weird rattle sound when I first start it up in the mornings, or even after sitting for a few hours...the rattle only last maybe a second if not less...sounds like its coming from up top of the motor maybe ??..truck only has 62k miles its actually upsetting me..truck sometimes sits for months at a time in my garage..other then that the truck will run just fine and smooth...just trew a code the other day saying " insufficient exhaust flow recirculation" something like that...

any input would be great guys, thanks...

Name: BRIAN

Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts
    what year?

Name: Benny

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    First thing that comes to mind is a loose plug that is about to detonate. Had sort of the same issue only mine was make a low ticking noise and the engine light never came on until the plug blew so I never thought to get it checked for any codes.

Name: Allen

Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
    Its common for mod motors in several of Ford's vehicles to have a rattle on start up, even at low mileage. The timing chain tensioners rely upon oil pressure to apply pressure to the timing chains. There are two styles, of tensioners, one is made of metal and the other is plastic. The plastic tensioners incorporate an o-ring which eventually fails and causes oil pressure to bleed off after the truck sits for a while. The rattle you're hearing is slop in the timing chains slapping on timing chain guides until sufficient oil pressure builds up to apply tension.

The cold start rattle caused by the tensioner(s) loosing pressure isn't detri****** and doesn't have to addressed. In the event you ever replace the tensioners you will have the option to buy tensioners with either plastic or metal housings. The metal housings are the preferred tensioners to use. The metal tensioners have ratchet-devices integrated into them to ensure tension remains applied to the timing chains even if hydraulic pressure bleeds down.

I bought my HD with 75,000 miles on the odometer and noticed the start up rattle the next morning during my first cold start. Although it was a irritation I dealt with it for the next four years/60,000 miles. In August I thought my truck had developed a rod knock, fortunately it was just time for all of the timing components to be replaced. Over the course of the weekend SoCal Waite, 5.4 F150, and I knocked it out.

These trucks are known to "launch" plugs which is what Benny is referring to. Launching a plug happens when the spark plug(s) back out of the head and ultimately the cylinder pressure spits them out. It is easy to prevent however, just re-torque the spark plugs occasionally. When a plug has backed out you will start to hear a tick, similar to the sound of an exhaust leak. It good practice to check the plugs if you ever hear this sound, just to err on the side of caution.

The "insufficient exhaust flow" code is related to the EGR components. Most likely your DPFE (Differential Pressure Exhaust gas Recirculation sensor) is crapping out. Before buying a new DPFE sensor I recommend inspecting all of the vacuum lines for the EGR system to make sure they are connected and not damaged.

The DPFE sensor has two rubber lines that route to it from the little tubes that are on the EGR tube. The rubber lines are the high and low reference lines for the DPFE. Make sure those lines are connected not cracked or otherwise damaged. Pay close attention... one port coming off the EGR tube is larger than the other. One port on the DPFE is larger than the other. And one rubber line is larger than the other. Make sure you route the big to the big and the small to the small.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks a lot for the info , going to get things checked out tomm on it then. Re check the plugs even tho I put them in about 5k miles ago, hoses for EGR, sensors and all that

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    02 hd

Name: KamLoula

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

RATTLE SOUND from motor

It has been a couple of years since I have been on this forum. I sold my 14 and went the way of the Harley. But I missed my old Ninja, so I got rid of the Fat Boy, And bought a new 2017 ZX14R. Good to be back