Thread: New Owner, 2002 HD #4860

Name: Ken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New Owner, 2002 HD #4860

IMG_2065.jpgIMG_2046.jpgIMG_2044.jpgIMG_2056.jpg

Happy owner of a 2002 HD, number 4680. It has 155k miles, but it's pretty clean. I've never owned a Ford before, much less a rarity like the F150 HD. I've had turbo MR2s, Supras, a brief stint with an EVO IX, and a 5th gen Camaro. I've only had the truck a couple of days, but it's safe to say I'm enjoying it more than my other vehicles!

Right now my priorities with this truck are to get ahead on maintenance. Luckily somewhere along the lines, someone did an EGR delete, a boost bypass mod, and the turkey pan delete mod (I think that's what its called). The inner serpentine belt and supercharger belt were also replaced recently. However the EGR delete left the SES/CEL light in sooo...I needa tune it out with an SCT tuner :/

The truck also has beltech springs and shocks, an aftermarket roll pan, a hastily installed 3 gauge pod that's missing one gauge, and the factory billet grills have been replaced with aftermarket ones

because my work schedule is unorthodox, so far I've only switched out the air filter changed the oil with Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w20, used about 6.5qts with K&N oil filter. I've bought all the parts/fluids needed to bleed the brakes, change the brake pads, change the power steering fluid, change the supercharger oil, and also a couple of jugs of coolant with distilled water to hopefully change out what looks to be the factory motocraft red coolant. Gonna also try to attempt the spark plugs but...I really don't wanna remove the fuel lines to access the COP :/

So like I said, maintenance haha. Also, I have a question about the 5.4, how noisy are these engines? I may be paranoid but I can hear a small, maybe a rattling noise near the front of the engine. Kinda reminds me of a Diesel engine but way way subdued. I asked a couple of other mechanics to listen to the engine and they said the engine sounds healthy, and they don't hear what I'm hearing. I thought maybe it's the idler pulleys for the supercharger? Thoughts? I know what rod knock and crank bearing failures sound like, and this is nothing like that, it's very subtle. Any help would be great!

Anyway, long intro, I know, but I'm glad to be part of this community and I'm hoping to learn a lot. I've attached some pics, I'll get some better one when I can!

Edit* ahh engine pic is sideways, can't edit on phone...sorry!

Name: Byron

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Welcome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

aka not rite
    Name: Bob

Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
    Welcome .Nice ride. The noise could be the timing chain guides. Do a search on here for that. Throttle Jockey just replaced his ,I'm sure he will chime in soon and give you some advice.

'03 Shamu/Build #04441
    Name: Sean

Liked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    Welcome. Nice looking truck!

As Bob says. Probably a problem with the timing chains/guides/covers. Mine makes a little noise when I start it too until the tensioners build up pressure. My '00 F150 was the same. When the timing chains get excessively loose, they make noise all the time. I'm also somewhat new to the brotherhood so I'm not familiar with what sounds the pulleys may produce but the sound you're describing and with the mileage your truck has, definitely sounds like the chains rubbing against the covers. Sounds like something metallic hitting a tin can. Maybe post a quick video so we can hear it.
    JBA Coffee & Cars 06/12/2016

Name: Allen

Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
    Congrats on the purchase, welcome to the brotherhood. It looks to be a clean truck.

Is the engine noise constant or does it only occur for a second or two following start up?
    Is it a rattle or sound like marbles in a can?

Possible culprits of your noise:
    -idler bearing(s)
    -cavitation due to improperly routed vacuum lines as result of the boost bypass mod and/or EGR delete
    -timing component chatter common to these mod motors

Idler bearings typically squeak when they fail. An easy way to troubleshoot idler bearings is to remove the SC belt. If the noise goes away then you may have found the culprit(s). You may have to troubleshoot the idlers for the accessory belt as well.

IMHO the boost bypass mod a useless "mod" that serves no purpose. If installed incorrectly it may be the cause of your noise. The boost actuator (the black canister located on the driver side, rear of the SC) is what operates the boost bypass butterfly. During normal driving the bypass butterfly should be open allowing the intake air charge to bypass the rotors of the SC. During spirited driving the bypass butterfly closes which directs the air charge through the SC. When the acutator isn't functioning properly "cavitation" of the air charge occurs. Cavitation causes excessive heat and can cause premature SC bearing failure. An EGR delete and the boost bypass mod are two VERY common causes of improperly routed vacuum lines that causes cavitation.

Mod motors are notorious for timing chain chatter on cold start up due to failed timing chain tensioners. This isn't a concern, more of a nuisance. When the tensioners fail the oil pressure that applies tension to the timing chains via the chain guides bleeds off. As result the chain slop causes a noise for a second or two on cold start up until enough oil pressure builds within the tensioners.

However, in higher mileage trucks its very common for timing components to need replacement. I replaced timing components in my HD about six months ago at 135,000 miles which is higher mileage than many trucks make it.
    Last edited by throttle jockey; 01-29-2017 at 03:21 AM.

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts

WELCOME to NHTOC!

Let's see some more pics of the truck.

... ...

Name: Ken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks everyone!

Throttle Jockey, I took your suggestions, did some research and found out that it is the boost bypass valve that is making the noise...well kinda, I'll explain below. I checked and rechecked and made sure that the boost bypass valve had all the correct vacuum lines were plumed correctly, made sure that the T-fitting was utilizing all the correct vacuum/signal connections. Lastly, I made sure that the boost bypass valve was at the correct down position when the engine was off/under boost and that is was up when not in boost.

Then I removed the top vacuum line off the boost bypass valve (under idle) and that's when the noise became louder and more pronounced. I reconnected the line, and the sound all but went away to the background of the engine. So maybe I'm just paranoid, and this is the sound the supercharger is supposed to make? I chased down a ford Lightning owner, and his engine sounded very similar, if not more noisy. However, he had headers and an exhaust, plus some other modifications, so it was hard to isolate one sound over another...

I changed the supercharger oil using Eatons factory oil meant for their production car superchargers. And for added value I'm going to pull off the supercharger belt, inspect the pulleys, bearings and spin the supercharger by hand to make sure its nothing serious. I also have new calipers and rotors on order, and hopefully sometime I'll get to change out the rusty factory exhaust.

I also forgot to mention that the previous owner did a PCV delete, and has the engine running breathers on both valve covers. I've done PCV deletes before on my previous vehicles, and I read that on these you'll have to remove the supercharger to get to them.

Somewhere along the line, someone added what looks to be a 6lb crank pulley. I can't confirm, but according to the installed boost gauge, the motor hits 12psi if I want it too, when merging onto the freeway. Found this out leaving post this morning.

Anyway here are some quick pics, I'll make sure to get better ones as soon as I can. Throttle Jockey, and everyone else, thank you again for the help and welcomes!

FullSizeRender (1).jpgFullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender (2).jpg

Name: Andy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Good looking truck Welcome