Thread: Has anyone replaced a rear axle shaft yet?

Hybrid View

Name: Patrick

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Has anyone replaced a rear axle shaft yet?

At the first of the year, I had an axle bearing failure and due to time needed to fix my truck (2000 Model) and time required to order in quality parts, I decided to put in one of those Axle Saver Bearings that move the bearing slightly outward to ride on part of the axle shaft not torn up by previously failed bearings.

I got 15K out of it or so and now it's howling and leaking a bit. I ended up ordering all the parts required to fix it correctly and they've been sitting in my garage.

I ended up going with this Yukon axle and while I'm there figure I'll change the bearings/seals on both sides (gear oil alone is 70 dollars so there's no sense in wasting 70 bux and doing them at different times).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0078UBAP4/

Just wondering if anyone has had any type of good or bad feedback in regards to these Yukon axle's... I know off-roads use them so I'm hoping that they hold up, even though most offroad built trucks have full floating axles that there bearings don't ride on.

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    well fuuuuu....I got the rear end apart (after ordering all the parts).

and my rear end uses the 1.620 diameter axles ....so now I gotta order the right stuff while my truck sits in the driveway... Amazon delivery date on Friday

Anyone need a Yukon Right Rear axle 1.705 diameter with matching axle bearing and seal? (I'm outside of my return window with Amazon)

Name: Chuck

Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    I am very confused!!! Is that a 9.75 rear axle??? When i look up the rear axle bearing on either Advance Auto or Auto zone I see no choice on axle sizes for either the axle bearing or seal. The bearing they call for is R1561-tv which the specks show to be an ID of 1.704 no other bearing is shown with the 9.75 rear axle. the seal 100357 also shows an inside dimension of 1.705 I am really confused. I looked up F150s back to 98 and they all call for the 1561 bearing, although I see on the yucon site they list the smaller axle for 98 99 only???? I must be missing something. I bought a trutrack and intend to change it this winter in my 2003 I hope I have the right parts, although there will be no hurry while apart, don't drive it in the winter. Leave it to Ford to make stupid little changes that drive you nuts.

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    Yep...there are different ones.

Some 9.75's have housings that use the same outer axle bearing as the 8.8's (which is the case with mine)

Yukon's website lists the different ones:

https://www.yukongear.com/partslist....2c+%2700-%2707

Some axles use the 1.620 outer bearing journal and some use the 1.705

I ended up going with Yoko/Torrington axle bearings and seals.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0078U83CM/

That's crazy I'll defiantly keep that in my memory to some degree!!! Great Information!!

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    Here's a good article about the 9.75....it says that ford made the switch in 99, but being that my truck was built in September of 2000 I'm surprised it had the previous years version axles.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/tr...75-axle-build/

I recall looking over that article pertaining to the trutack I guess I overlooked the part about the axle size. I checked the Dorman sight and they list a **** load of differant axles but they go by the OE tag number and give no dimentions they also show more because they come with new studs, so right there you have the 12mm and the 14mm studs plus the two axle sizes. Live and learn. When I worked in Ford service you did not dare go to the parts counter for any rear axle part or transmission part without the tag in your hand. the parts man couldn't get beyond a hello grunt without it!!!! LOL I really like the information you can gain from these forums, you don't get that kind of info on book-of-faces!!!!

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    Just to update this thread for future help if anyone gets in a bind.

While putting the rear end back together, the spider gears came out ...

I took a 1' long bolt & nut, cut it down to barely fit between the axle shafts, then worked the nut on the bolt to "spread" them apart. this compressed the clutch packs enough so that I was able to turn one axle and reallign the spider gears.

The problem I'm having now, is that the nut on my little tool I made, kicked out like a spring and flung itself up into the the front of the housing where the pinion gear is ...I'm going to get my little kiddo to try and fish it out when he gets home...hopefully his hands are small enough to get in there with a magnet and get it out.

Sounds as though a new set of clutches and springs are in order. If the pinions moved that easily there can't be any clutch material left on the plates.