Thread: Jlt oil separator issue

Name: Brad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jlt oil separator issue

Installed JLT oil separators recently on both passenger and driver sides. Passenger side fills within 1000 miles and the drivers side is bone dry. Why would the passenger side fill so quickly with nothing in the drivers side? Seems like the drivers side valve cover is not venting at all. Any ideas?

Name: mark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
    Installed JLT oil separators recently on both passenger and driver sides. Passenger side fills within 1000 miles and the drivers side is bone dry. Why would the passenger side fill so quickly with nothing in the drivers side? Seems like the drivers side valve cover is not venting at all. Any ideas?
    I installed a breather on the driver side VC, and plumbed in a Moroso catch can into the passenger side back returned to the blower PCV line. Used a kit that uses the oil fill tube as the suction point

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    BigMo

Vader's Chauffer
    Name: Ryan

Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    The PCV system is a loop. Fresh filtered air is introduced to the crankcase through the driver side cam cover. There is a vacuum behind the throttle body caused by the engine running, so the connected port in passenger side cam cover is tied to said vacuum of the plenum.

Think of it like this: Your Driver side cam cover is the PCV system's intake, and the passenger side is the exhaust. You should never see oil in the driver side PCV tube. If you do, you have other issues. The passenger side is the one that will collect all the oil.

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Yes a separator on the driver side is unnecessary. Sell that thing and get some of your money back haha.

5. The Following User Liked SonicHD For This Useful Post:

SoCal Waite (11-15-2017)

Name: edward

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    I too am having this concern, I have installed a McNally catch can and Melling 176hv oil pump which both units are working great.
    I’m not getting any oil in the TB and engine is running better than optimal.
    I’m thinking I need a better elbow or replace the grommet at the valve cover (VC)

I’m wondering if a check valve type install would work , I think I read that somewhere..

D1352AD7-6CE4-4AEE-8AA0-36F4AD2FD556.jpeg

3083A3E4-4106-4B52-B982-174BDC1990AE.jpeg

If what you guys say about the driver side being an inlet of clean air than I need to change Or plug off one of the outlets at the catch can and disconnect the Tee.

Looking forward to you guys chiming in

Name: Jerry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Waite View Post
    The PCV system is a loop. Fresh filtered air is introduced to the crankcase through the driver side cam cover. There is a vacuum behind the throttle body caused by the engine running, so the connected port in passenger side cam cover is tied to said vacuum of the plenum.

Think of it like this: Your Driver side cam cover is the PCV system's intake, and the passenger side is the exhaust. You should never see oil in the driver side PCV tube. If you do, you have other issues. The passenger side is the one that will collect all the oil.
    That explains it. We'll be working on the incoming truck project after we finished installing the parts from 4Wheelonline onto the Wrangler and clear the garage. The truck got JLT oil separator installed and might need a breather.