Thread: Vacuum leak causing whistle from Charcoal Canister (2000 Model)

Name: Patrick

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Vacuum leak causing whistle from Charcoal Canister (2000 Model)

I've had a vacuum leak (along with a corresponding CEL for Small Leak & one for Large Leak)

I've gone over every hose under the hood, but with the radio off going down the highway and the rear sliding window open, I can here a whistle that changes pitch when I use the brakes, it's constant but get's louder when using the brakes.

Today I took the whole charcoal canister down and ordered a new Canister Vent Purge Solenoid from Amazon (free next day delivery for 36 dollars and parts stores didn't have them in stock and wanted 74, so that was a no brainer)..

I'm replacing the deteriorated lines back there with Fuel/Evap line, is there anything else back there that I need to look for?

The leak isn't enough to cause a rough idle, but it does affect the brake performance due to the booster having vacuum robbed from it.

Name: Chuck

Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Are you sure the booster is not leaking?????

Name: Patrick

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    positive it's nothing under the hood....the whistling was coming from the rear of the vehicle. I traced it back to the canister vent purge solenoid. It was leaking where the body of it's molded together.

I don't have a smoke tool, after I put it together I'm going to drive it over to my pro mechanic buddy's house and pay him an hour rate to hook it up to his smoke machine.
    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    Thomas Jefferson

Name: Chuck

Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    The canister vent solenoid (the one in the rear of the truck) is normaly open with the truck not operating, it vents so that you can fill the tank etc. when you start the truck it is supplied with battery voltage and closes so that the systen is closed and vents back to the engine through the carbon canister. It can be checked by applying battery voltage to see if it seals shut. . the one on the firewall is the canister purge solenoid and it is controled by the computer it opens to evacuate the tank to check for leaks. it usualy makes a pulse from the vacuum supply to apply to the tank and lines. there is also a pressure transducer at the tank that reads the tank pressure and sends that reading to the computer.