Thread: Rattle on Startup

Name: Phil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rattle on Startup

Hello All,

I am looking for some clarity on the rattle on first startup ( morning). I have been doing some research and a lot of the information pertains to the 5.4 3V Triton engines. When searching on here, people are referring to it as piston slap. However, when you listening to the symptoms it seems like it is right inline with the V3 timing chain issue.
    So, do our engines suffer from the same issue: Chain, tensioner, guides

If so, how different, if any, is our setup with the 2V 5.4 Supercharger compared to the Triton 3V.

Are there any tutorials explaining the change out process or do we just follow the same proceedure that is allover youtube.

Seems as if on startup there is a rattle that last about 3 sec or less. I am suspecting that it is the tensioner that is loosing prime and will need to be changed. Also, while in there what is woul dbe good to change, looks like water pump, and thermostat is easly accessable, so why not change it?

Thanks for any information in advance that can be provided.

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    it's the timing chain tensioner and guides.

I changed mine at 104k, and the rattle started to come back around 125k.

The process on replacement is the same for any 2v 4.6l or 2v 5.4l, except there's more junk in the way for the supercharger/bridge/pulleys/tensioners hanging off the front.
    2002 DSG HD #09617 NHTOC Truck of the month November 2012
    Ported eaton/plenum/tb, 6lb lower, SCT BA-2600 MAF, OBX longtubes, JLP intake, FTVB, L-spec bilsteins, Hotchkis TVS, 22" replicas. Tuned by Ray McClelland of FTK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the reply.

You indicated it came back after 21K miles. Did you use OEM parts? What did you find was the problem, tensioner?

Also, videos on the web only talk about 3V, is the process the same for our trucks?

Thanks

Word

I used OE parts, not OEM. There’s a big difference. Modular motorsports racing (mmr) sells some upgraded billet guides now that might last longer but I’ve not used them.

OE parts are original equipment. That company made that exact part the factory installed for the car originally.

OEM are original equipment manufacturers and that means that the company that made the OE seatbelt could then sell you an OEM timing chain.

The process is the same, look for videos of doing crown Victoria’s or other 2v engines if you want a video to watch. All the 4.6 and 5.4 2v engine layouts are basically the same. The 3v engine is a revised platform but basically the same.

On my truck the tensioner guides looked to be the original problem but I installed new everything even chains. My truck has 160k now and it will rattle for a split second at a cold start. It’s not worth it to me to do the work again if it came back so fast until it gets far worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name: Keith

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Make sure you replace the chain tensioners with the metal ones, not the plastic.Also, use OEM, timing components, don't ask me how I know. LOL.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I know this thread is pretty old but have not seen any information on steps or how hard it is to perform this service, or even how long it typically takes.

Is there a write up or a YouTube that describes what to do? I was looking to purchase the metal tensioner and other components

Name: edward

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3653 Owner View Post
    Make sure you replace the chain tensioners with the metal ones, not the plastic.Also, use OEM, timing components, don't ask me how I know. LOL.
    What about the timing kit from Melling, you think they might last longer ?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good information here
    Can anyone provide some feedback as to what components to use. I thought he issue was the tensioner blowing out and loosing pressure which turn does not put pressure on the chain. Resulting in cold start rattle

Is there a fix for this that last?

Word

2 years later mine still rattles for about 1 second if it's sat for several days on a cold start.

I still don't care and won't replace the parts again until it gets far worse. I have about 55k miles on the replacement done with all new OE timing parts, chains/guides/tensioners/etc. If it rattled for more than 5 seconds or did it like at idle while driving and not just on start up, I'd replace the parts again.

decipha
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    its the tensioners and the #1 reason for it to rattle is due to using the wrong oil filter. Be sure you use ONLY MOTORCRAFT FILTERS.

for good measure, In all of my tunes I always clip spark to 4 degrees at crank and for the first few seconds to reduce it to inaudible levels most of the time as well.

Word

Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    its the tensioners and the #1 reason for it to rattle is due to using the wrong oil filter. Be sure you use ONLY MOTORCRAFT FILTERS.

for good measure, In all of my tunes I always clip spark to 4 degrees at crank and for the first few seconds to reduce it to inaudible levels most of the time as well.
    I don't think that can be a definitive statement. I have ONLY used the motorcraft oil filter on this truck.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Priobe ,
    have you ordered your parts yet? Might be a good thing to do before everything shuts down. I’m seeing a delay in shipping times ..my parts are coming in slow

Fast with Class
    Name: Tony

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Check your bearings in your belt tensioner. Then check the rest of you pulley bearing. Do this while engine running!

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Priobe, here is a pic of the manual I use ..
    Let me know

A09EB5A9-7812-44F4-8B37-D4B00948935B.jpeg