Thread: 2003 radio messed up...

Name: mark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2003 radio messed up...

My radio/cd player keeps cutting off, and im getting a cd error code. I think there are cds in it still, but it wont eject anything.
    I pulled it out and the connections are all good. Did the 3-6 test but nothing comes out of the speakers.
    If i have to replace, anyone have any recommendations for a new one that fits our trucks
    Thanks in advance
    BigMo

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    BigMo

Name: Chuck

Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    I have seen a lot about stereos, Mine still works fine but would like to update to some modern technology with a built in large screen back-up camera system. I hate the thoughts of cutting up the dash and loosing the rear seat controls, although they never get used. My truck is mostly unmolested and I really hate to hack it up. I was hoping there would be some comment on this but looks like no one is interested.

The OE six disk units did have their issues, they are repairable. You can contact United Radio, They are an authorized repair center, they have quick turnaround and will quote a repair price for approval before doing anything. http://www.unitedradio.com/

If you do replace your unit please post some pictures and what you installed, I wish there was a reliable local shop for some advice in our area, but there is not!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I dont want to cut the dash hole either....but the 15 year old receiver/changer may have to go

I have seen some here and there that really look nice, and if you take your time the ones I have seen look like they are factory. But the sites like Crutchfield say once you cut there is no going back, then they say why would you??? Although I say never say never, I'm sure that there is a way to reconstruct what you deconstruct. I am not up on this modern technology so I really don't have a clue what I would ant. I have seen some posts on Lightning Rodder that people use the blue tooth portion and a dongle to put the PIDS on the screen from the PCM much like a scan tool??? check it out over there it was not long ago. https://www.lightningrodder.com/foru...h-android.html

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    I don't think it's worth fixing the factory radio. I also think that 2003's with the in-dash cd changer have less material to cut out for a true double din radio than the 2002 with the center console cd changer do.

I installed a pioneer double din many, many years ago. It was OK. Nice to have a backup camera and it had built in nav. It was slow to boot and didn't have bluetooth audio streaming (only worked for phone calls) so I replaced it a couple years ago.

I have a "Pyle PLDNANDVR695" which is basically a full android tablet in a double din format. It came with a windshield mounted dash cam (low quality), lets me stream bluetooth audio from my iphone, works with my older backup camera (but also came with one that can mount to license plate). I'll probably replace it again sometime but for now it's cool. Has wifi and a couple SD card slots, built-in "offline" nav maps that area easy to update and use, can also run google maps or waze or any android app you could want if you join it to your phones wifi hotspot to get data while on the road.

If I were to replace it today, I'd probably get the alpine ilx-107, which does *wireless* apple carplay which after using carplay in my `17 vw gti that I commute with, I want it in all of my cars and that alpine doing that wirelessly would be awesome.
    2002 DSG HD #09617 NHTOC Truck of the month November 2012
    Ported eaton/plenum/tb, 6lb lower, SCT BA-2600 MAF, OBX longtubes, JLP intake, FTVB, L-spec bilsteins, Hotchkis TVS, 22" replicas. Tuned by Ray McClelland of FTK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Cool

Thanks that is a lot of good information there, maybe too much!!! LOL!! I really want a better back up camera I have a small screen setting in the face of my console it is OK but I would rather have it in a double din unit. I back my truck into my garage and kind of move it to the center so that i can get to the rear where my shop is. I have an eye problem that leaves me with double vision most of the time. after many years of ignoring what I don't want to see my depth perception is non existent, so getting close to something in the rear either takes a few in and out trips, backing into it or a backup camera. For the truck I prefer the latter in the garage!!DSCN0622.jpg