Thread: Windshield leak caused BCM/GEM to short and pop fuses

Name: Patrick

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Windshield leak caused BCM/GEM to short and pop fuses

I work in the oilfield doing 14days on/14 days off. On my last hitch, it rained 12 of 14 days and my truck just sat there. When I got in to go home, I opened the door, started it, closed the door and finished loading my clothes, boots, etc. in the back of the truck. When I got in it, I noticed the airbag light was on and the blower was no longer blowing and I could smell fresh electrical insulation melted smell.

I figured it was as simple as changing the blower motor resistor but nope. Water got into the GEM/BCM and fuse block and wreaked havoc.

Luckily I was able to drive a couple hundred miles home with no problem.

I got the windshield replaced today in corpus Christi by Binswanger glass (they did a great job using an OE Harley F150 windshield (I have no idea what it costed, but my deductible was only $100). Tomorrow I'm going to install a new GEM/BCM I purchased off Amazon (Cardone 73-3035).

Hopefully the fuse block will be fine. When I put compressed air it it water blew out

I had no idea this was a major thing with this body style ford trucks (expeditions included) until a google search revealed otherwise. Anyone else had this issue?

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    got it tore apart today. I ended up NOT replacing the GEM/BCM as when I looked into my fuse block it was showing some pretty severe electrical corrosion. Ran to the Pull-A-Part and got another one for 15 dollars out of a 99 F150, swapped it in and it appears that I'm good to go again.

I used plenty of dielectric grease on the connections and around the case this time to prevent it from happening again (hopefully).

00HarleyF150FuseBlockCorrosion.jpg

Oki 916's Dad NHTOC #103
    Name: Slick

Liked 60 Times in 49 Posts
    Good deal. Glad it worked out for you

Name: Phil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just wondering why does the windshield have to be replaced? Can you just remove the seal around the windshield and seal the windshield without removing the windshield itself?

I think I am having the same problem but my truck stay in the garage most of the time. When I noticed the leak it was not that bad.

Any help regarding will be of help. My windshield is perfect with Harley logo and would hate to have glass company remove and possible break. I have heard they do not make these windshields anymore.

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    my windshield was cracked, so I replaced it. The glass shop ordered the Harley Logo from the local Ford Dealership, it took 1 week to get it delivered.

You should be able to have a competent glass shop remove, clean, and re-seal your windshield.

When you plug in a scanner do you have any strange 12V supply trouble codes? My truck did and I never was able to figure out what it was until all this came to light.
    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    Thomas Jefferson

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Cool to hear you can still get an OEM windshield. I would think they would be impossible to find now.