Hello all,
It’s been a while since being on here and it is now time to start the timing chain rattle fix.
MODs I have done are the Stiegemire porting service and rebuild with Venom cooling and 2.70 upper S/C pulley (don’t remember the actual size), the Punisher Valve Body, L&S oil separator and
intercooler clean, clunk washer mod, flow master mufflers with custom piping straight out the back with chrome tips.

So, to start I removed all the components around the radiator, front cover, hoses, fan etc. to include the intercooler reservoir and degas bottle with cleaning both with rinse and compressed air to remove the dirty look and they came clean like new type. On the driver side I removed everything that was in the way and leaving the injector rails before removing the valve covers, left them installed until I get closer to doing the actual work, wasn’t too bad I worked keeping everything majorly together in big pieces to be able to re-install later.

The harmonic and front lower pulley for the super charger I decided to wait until the tools arrive, crank alignment tool, two cam lock hold down tools for both banks and a flywheel lock for locking the engine from turning. I’m doing this myself so I don’t have anyone to help hold the engine from turning and was the best option for me while I remove both lower pulleys. Since I don’t trust anyone to help and I’m on my own beside the dudes on this site I had to invest in some tooling to help me.
I didn’t want to try and jimmy or home rig a pry bar to try and hold the engine while I remove the two front lower pulleys. I took on the investment since it won’t be the last time I go in this deep into the engine and I’ll probably be working on another down the road.

Engine front cover, due to waiting for the tools I ordered off Freedom Racing arrive, also since I’m working outside, I decided to do the intercooler first; before breaking the seal on the front cover I thought to ask a few questions first. I have the factory service manual and seen the videos from Ford Tech Makuloco and didn’t want to split the work on the engine front cover and timing components over the span of two days. I prefer to peel off the cover and install the parts and replace the cover in one shot so as not leave it open to the elements.
So, the questions I have are:

- Replacing the gasket for the front cover, do we let the Permatex sealer cure or dry before installing the cover with gasket in place?
I think I read somewhere in the manual I have like 4 minutes to install the cover; I’ll have to go back in and look where I read that.

- Re-installing the front cover, the front engine crankshaft seal, is it best to install the seal while on the engine or when the cover is off?
At first, I was thinking to not replace the seal since its not leaking and just replace the cover with old seal. Then I went and bought a new seal and decided to ask you guys.

- Alternator, the alternator that I have works and there are no issues but I’m thinking when it possibly gets wet from washing engine bay it makes the engine sputter driving off, when it drys it goes back to normal driving. At first, I like the idea of a chrome model but I don’t want to replace an alternator should the new one fail for some dumb reason. Potentially get an alternator from the dealer and not AutoZone. Your thoughts?

- Engine paint, thinking of the ford blue but seen another light ford blue on one of the forums. I figured to ask here first about painting the intake and leave the S/C originally grey. I’m also thinking of painting the front cover the same color as the valve covers. Your thoughts?

- Gates Pulley serpentine belts, I have not changed the crankshaft inner accessory belt since I got the truck and now that I will have access to both belts I’m looking to get Gates of course but I’m leaning towards the green fleet color model for both pulley systems and would like to know what your thoughts are.

- Melling oil pump, not sure which to get since I don’t want to overdo it on the pressure being 20% more over stock the M360 HV seems to be too be, last thing I need is that 20% more to be inside my turkey pan, your thoughts?

For the intercooler clean (still haven’t removed anything) I’m thinking of taking the intercooler to the local radiator shop to have them clean oil varnish build up from the cooling fins cost for that would be 85.00. I understand that break clean/carb cleaner will do the trick but the use of 10 spray cans sounds a bit retardish when I have a compressor to blow off any parts after dipping and I kind of wanted to post my thoughts about getting a 5 gallon can of Berryman Chem-Dip Cleaner and want to see what others are also doing.

I’m posting pictures of where project currently sits while I wait for parts tools and weather, I’m definitely not in a hurry and would like to do the job right as humanly possible, I think I could hit 500k miles if quality timing components are used. I’m also looking to get a harmonic balancer puller but just not sold on the ones they have for sale at the box stores..

It will be much appreciated if all who have something for the good of the group to chime in, all is welcomed..