Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: SS owners think we can be beat with a few mods

Trowling
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by MRBLUEOVAL
    Any SS owners in Fla want some I'm in. I won't say anything bad about your trucks but if your running the stock block come see my L Tails. There really nice I've been told. I will say this one thing aboutthe SS. I really like the front grille set up. When I look in the Rear view mirror it has a certain......Charm about it!
    There a track there in Tampa? I go there on occasion to visit friends. Wouldn't mind hitting a 1/4 mile track somewhere, since there is not one around here. I'd meet you there. Although, it may be a few months before we go back. Been there twice in five weeks. Seven hour drive sucks.
    '03 Silverado SS
    408ci Stroker
    STS GT-70 Turbo

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Clearwater has Sunshine and it is only 1/8 mile. I'll run ya! What do ya got in that ride? Where are you located in fla. Maybe a bunch of us can meet up and play. Its all good. This is not a job its a hobby/ labor of love. We can run the trucks shoot the shizit and have a little fun. This is the USA at its best.......bring it on!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think it sucks you have to register now just to be able to browse the SS forum. I really like the SS trucks and I like to be able see what's going on for performance. Oh well!
    David Tuschhoff
    02' DSG HD F150 5.4L SC
    91' Camaro Z28 5.8L NA

Haulin' Harley A$$
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The SS's are very nice trucks, if the rims were chrome and it was dropped an inch or two it would be very smooth looking.

I don't get the whole "I don't have a supercharger" excuse though...

When I race a TT Supra and lose I don't say, "But I don't have twin turbos". When I race a Vette or Trans Am I don't say, "But I have 4 doors and weigh more"...

The SS pretty much has the same exact HP rating as the HD and is roughly the same size and weight, yet it is a lot slower.

When it comes to racing it doesn't matter if an engine is normally aspirated, turbocharged, supercharged or whatever. If you have to make excuses then don't race.

The SS is a slow expensive turd just like the Hemi when it comes to running the HD in the 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, and top speed.

I'll take the 340HP and performance of the HD over the 345HP of the SS anyday.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    well said and the SS is way over priced!

Silverado SS owner
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    harleyhuze - bring it, dont sing it. I have no exscuses, whats yours?

I'm going to be in Austin Friday morning, and Texas Motorplex in Ennis Friday night. Anyone wan't some?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Between your 40G's and the extra work you have your still not pimpin' like the HD guys. Sorry but ourtrucks got the bling and the power. Dollar for dollar the HD is a better truck. You've got the bigger motor and supposed better design so why is your345 not out performing our pitily 340. Make all the noise you want about us having an SC but Hp is Hp. Explain to issue. Unless you've got another 5-10 G's in it you can't win it. Listthe "few mods" That make you think otherwise.

Silverado SS owner
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    40 is the sticker, nothing more. Unfortunately GM overpriced the SS, but at least they aren't selling for that. I've got $31 in mine after rebates and incentives.

Thank goodness our motor does have a better design. I don't have to worry about breaking rods to run 12s. When I run 11s, it will be on the stock bottom end and with only one power adder.

Trowling
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by MRBLUEOVAL
    well said and the SS is way over priced!
    You guys always talk about price. Expensive is a relative term. If the price of the truck is only a small % of my income, is it still expensive? Maybe or maybe not. Right?

If I know what I want and I have to pay a little more to get it, that's the choice I made. If I have to spend $5k extra just to get my truck up where yours is stock, again, a choice I made. SO WHAT! If I had wanted a HD or a L', that's what I would have gotten. Plus, I didn't mod my truck just to make it faster against any Ford - I just wanted the speed. I'm sure you understand that. Get off the money thing. I see a lot of guys on here that have spent more than double of what I have already. Most, probably from blowing up what they had, racing it.

Pimpin' or bling, is not my thing either. Looks are very subjective and taste oriented. I think subtlety is better. I admit though, I would take a HD over a L' (interior size related) and a Ford over a Dodge anyday. For me, as is the same for most of you with Ford, Chevy is the ONLY way to go. I'm sure "most" can relate.

Haulin' Harley A$$
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm bone stock and will run anybody. And if you want to go mod for mod I will still beat you.

My point was like BlueOval said, the HP ratings are almost the same for both trucks yet the performance is vastly different between the two. Someone please explain that one...

It's just like the Impala SS and Mecury Marauder, pumped up HP and Torq numbers but SLOW performance for the numbers.

If the HP, size, and weight are the same between both trucks then I would "assume" the performance should be the same.

A Vette and SS Camaro are about the same size, weight, and roughly price and have roughly the same HP and are very close in performace.

Same goes for a Z28 and Mustang GT. Not the same for an HD and SS though.

It's all pissing in the wind. Had Chevy made the SS a Harley Davidson Edition with a Supercharger I would have bought it in a second.

BigTex,

You bring up a VERY VALID point though about the strength of the motor, you guys definately have the advantage over us. Chevy didn't skimp on the SS motor's strength and shaft it's loyal customers in the process.

Member # 125
    Name: -

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ben, if you are in Fl a few of us are getting together @ gainseville raceway on november 7th for some test and tune. You and friends are more than elcome to get some runs in and have a few coldies.

Trowling
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by musturbo
    Ben, if you are in Fl a few of us are getting together @ gainseville raceway on november 7th for some test and tune. You and friends are more than elcome to get some runs in and have a few coldies.
    I appreciate the invite and hope the invitation remains open. Fridays are pretty hard for me to do with the wife's job. We go to Tampa on occasion, but are only able to leave as early as Friday evening. Is the track open year-round down there?

Trowling
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by harleyhuze
    I'm bone stock and will run anybody. And if you want to go mod for mod I will still beat you.
    All arrogance aside, too bad that you're not closer to test, prove/disprove your theory. Mod for mod, I think that would be fun to see and may not come out to your liking.

Haulin' Harley A$$
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ben,

If you have added a cam and ProCharger to your SS, then before we race I would add a cam and KB Supercharger to my HD and beat you. That is what I meant by mod for mod.

Price or stock form doesn't matter. The HP for the two trucks is the same, the SS has a slight edge actually, so if you have to mod the SS to be as fast as a stock HD then the HD should be able to mod too when it comes to racing. Either way you will never catch up.

I stated I would run an SS anytime, whether it's stock or modded. My HD is stock, a modded SS will most likely beat me. Let me add a cam and a KB Supercharger to my HD and I will smoke a modded SS though.

The SS and HD are two completely different trucks, each has it's own merits and each has vastly different performance numbers in both stock and modded form. Had the SS been about $5-10K cheaper than the HD I might have considered it. Then I could have taken the extra $5-10K in savings and spent it on performance mods and had a fast truck.

If your modded truck is faster than my stock truck good for you, I honestly wouldn't expect anything less. I would hope for your sake though that your modded truck that has a higher MSRP and HP rating than mine would be faster than my stock truck.

Like I said, pissing in the wind....

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Im sure the next thing to be argued on this post is "well you would have to change out your supercharger just because I added one" Although correct it makes no sense. A stock supercharger is not going to pump the number as ANY aftermarket one. Just like people switching every part on a vehicle on route to making a vehicle more race worthy. Although the engine is fast it is not going to be up to par for being bullerproof. Ford did not offer this truck at the 125,000 price tag it would see if you modded this thing out to handle big HP and be equally impressive in the interior and looks department.

If that argument would be valid, then why do all these Chebby guys have to change out the intake, exhausts, cams, headers, etc.
    Cause the stock parts are not created to be fast...

Who knows if the Chevy is going to hold up under modding? I am yet to see one turn anything near the times an HD is doing. So no one knows if it is "BUILT TUOUGH"

Oh yea, what are your 1/4 miile times and HP ratings with that S/C?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast