Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: SS owners think we can be beat with a few mods

Trowling
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by holeshot
    Who knows if the Chevy is going to hold up under modding? I am yet to see one turn anything near the times an HD is doing. So no one knows if it is "BUILT TUOUGH"

Oh yea, what are your 1/4 miile times and HP ratings with that S/C?
    From some of the things I have been reading on here, it appears that "BUILT TOUGH" doesn't necessarily mean, can't blow up. Extreme cases, I know.

I have not been to the track yet with my truck. There isn't a 1/4 mile track closer than 200 miles either and couldn't tell you how far away the closest is. Still working my way out. There are a few 1/8's close by and will be hitting them soon.

Getting new HP ratings for a SS after modding is hard. AWD dynos are not difficult to find, but ones with a 143" wheel base is. Removing the front driveshaft seems to be the only option and not a very safe one. I have not attempted and don't plan to right now. If I had to guess on my HP, I would say somewhere in the 500 range, but just a guess.
    '03 Silverado SS
    408ci Stroker
    STS GT-70 Turbo

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Listen Ben. I see you want to be with the "IN" Crowd so we'll let you in as our token. We can argue all day about who's faster but at the end of the day its always someone else anyway. When we drive to and from the track who can you honestly say turns mores heads......correct answer is......The best selling truck in the world 20 years running. You got to admit the HD is a better looking piece in and out. I like the SS don't get me wrong but its over priced and not as nice.....you like that lil Johnny Cochrane action there. I had a Typhoon and its was FAST. It also fell apart every other month. That was enough for me! I'll race anyone but win or lose, I'm paid for...Bottom line...I don't get paid forthis and have won and lost....its all good Ben. You have a nice truck too! Welcome to our site!

2000 HD #357
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey...I'm one of those 00 HD "N/A"s that you refer to in this thread...and my 00 will give a L or a SC HD a fit, (I'm dyno'd at 320hp). Obviously, I'm not stock, and the biggest bang I have found so far was the trans & rearend mods (a 4.10 does wonders)...so I think I could compete with a SS... no problem...it might be worth the trip from Atlanta to FL just to see.

Remember...HP isn't all it takes.....its the entire package.

With my experience in mod'ing other vehicles in my fleet...I would speculate that the AWD, weight, and the gear ratio is what "hampers" a 345 hp SS, not the overall engineering.
    If you compare an L to a SC HD, biggest difference is weight, which usually gives the L the advantage, same theory would apply here.

Silverado SS owner
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by MRBLUEOVAL
    We can argue all day about who's faster but at the end of the day its always someone else anyway.
    Isn't that the truth. But with the difficulty we are having getting the HD and SS crowd together to race, its likely we'll never see that guy.

BenKey's Magnacharger Radix has the Eaton M112 compressor. Sound familiar?
    2003 Black Silverado SS

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Whats with all the SS guys in here. Did you guys finally realize that only geeks wear bowties?....lol

Ford Guy
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    AWD dyno's are hard to find, probably exactly why Chevy added it to the SS, so you would be hard pressed to check the numbers on the truck.
    Mark
    02 DSG
    03 Mach1
    88 LX
    69 CJ

Indestructible!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Guys, We were the one that all went to there site. Bombtech was also just recently "Called out" over there, so don't be surprised if more start coming in here looking for him.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm not in the we but I am with you guys. If smack talk starts flying I'm down withthe best of em! The best part is there is a treasure chest of ammo without having to even look. Who's out there flaming this fire anywho?

400/500 Club Member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There is always sombody faster and more bling (money) out there.Enjoy what you got Ford or Chevy.Its all good as long as YOU are having fun...have a litle respect for the othere guy

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Why not break stones a bit. The world has become to sensitive. I think that comediens will be outlawed soon. Someone is always offended no matter what. I say bust em away! As a Ford guy you know the lines. Does it really bother you? Come on guys really! As long as we are not cursing each other out and fighting whats a little rivalry gonna hurt. Ford vs Chevy....Hatfields vs McCoys...Tenn/Florida....put into perspective for those offended. I've had both....as for respect I do have a little, very little...lol...I love a 442, GTO, Stingrays, Grand National. I am a car lover if its a good car period! Spinnin' someone up though is priceless

Trowling
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by TRKGUY
    There is always sombody faster and more bling (money) out there.Enjoy what you got Ford or Chevy.Its all good as long as YOU are having fun...have a litle respect for the othere guy
    There's an idea :bi:

Anyone complaining about bowties being on here, please feel free to stop by our board and read the crap that only the anonymity of the internet gives you the balls to say. Absolutely rediculous. Even things as recent as last night from a login of Harley03, don't know if the same as your Harley03 or not. An excerpt:
    "To all of my Ford Brothers
    Screw these guys, they cant handel the fact that they cant win. If you chevy guys dont belive me go here to read the bad news http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/...163_0308_3way/
    I have smoked 3 SS just last week no by 1/2 truck but by 3 and 4 trucks. ****y SS arent ****."

So who's flaming the wars? Here's a link to read the entire script if you like, all 327 replies to the thread - SS harley thread Don't know if you'll have to register or not. Next one happens on your site

I didn't come here to start any crap. You guys have yet to hear me down your rides. And I won't, unless pushed. I just came to hear about your experiences, problems, successes, failures, etc... I have respect for you guys, there just needs to be "mutual" respect.

Don't tell me how Ford has been the number one selling truck 100 years running - I don't care. If there was division in Ford Motor Company pick-up sales, that wouldn't be the case. Like GM, with Chevy/GMC. I would buy a Ford over a Dodge anyday. We are the only two American-made trucks and to me, nobody does it better Ford or GM. Save the crap for the Tundra and soon to be Titan guys.

We can "break stones", if that is what you want to call it and do so with some form of decency as if we were face-to-face. Stop trying to use things to smear in other faces, like how much I paid.

I like your guys' site, by the way. Setup is pretty cool and like the FAQ section. Censoring of the words, I guess happens automatically here also - another nice thing. I didn't put the in "*" in the above excerpt. Maybe your moderators already got a hold of it. Nice feature if auto.

Trowling
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by Bruce Marsee
    Hey...I'm one of those 00 HD "N/A"s that you refer to in this thread...and my 00 will give a L or a SC HD a fit, (I'm dyno'd at 320hp). Obviously, I'm not stock, and the biggest bang I have found so far was the trans & rearend mods (a 4.10 does wonders)...so I think I could compete with a SS... no problem...it might be worth the trip from Atlanta to FL just to see.

Remember...HP isn't all it takes.....its the entire package.

With my experience in mod'ing other vehicles in my fleet...I would speculate that the AWD, weight, and the gear ratio is what "hampers" a 345 hp SS, not the overall engineering.
    If you compare an L to a SC HD, biggest difference is weight, which usually gives the L the advantage, same theory would apply here.
    I'm not "N/A" anymore, but if you wanted to meet up, we may still be able to do that. I'm in Pensacola.

I agree that HP isn't all it takes and that it is the entire package, but don't tell that to anybody. Sounds like excuses.

400/500 Club Member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Dont get me wrong.I spent last weekend as the only ford in the midle of 40 Impalas.and heard it all.I ownded a 94 SS before i went to the Lightning. I love bench racing.I like racing, ran 14.3 last night.enjoy your ride.what ever it is.Dont get cought up in the mine is beter than yours thing. there is no winer in it.

Member # 125
    Name: -

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have a few questions, and some observations. My 01 s-crew ran 16.20 with a cold air kit only. Isn't that comparable to a stock ss? Also from what I understand torque is acceleration not hp. Hp is high rpm torque. I understand the ss weighs less but it also has less tourque. The 01 s crew was 260 hp and 350 ft/lb. Seems like a good race. Pleae correct me if I am wrong.;b

Trowling
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by musturbo
    I have a few questions, and some observations. My 01 s-crew ran 16.20 with a cold air kit only. Isn't that comparable to a stock ss? Also from what I understand torque is acceleration not hp. Hp is high rpm torque. I understand the ss weighs less but it also has less tourque. The 01 s crew was 260 hp and 350 ft/lb. Seems like a good race. Pleae correct me if I am wrong.;b
    It wouldn't be too bad, but not really close either. Most of the guys that have run their truck bone stock have done in the low to mid 15s, with a couple in the 14s.

The SS stock has 380ft/lb tq @4000rpm.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast