Thread: Replacement 5x7??

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Replacement 5x7??

Ok, I know everyone is going to say I am crazy, but for the moment I am going to JUST replace the stock 5x7 in all the doors. I have been told that if I am not going to add an amp it would sound better with just replcement 5x7s in the door than adding component sets w/no amp. Does that make sense? I know everyone is going to say to replace the HU and all the other stuff to do, but I can't decide what I REALLY want in the truck. SO I thought I would at least replace the OEM 5x7s just to get some better sound quality until I decide on everything I want. Any opinions (oh boy, here it comes... ) Brand preference, model, etc?

TIA,
    Jim
    Jim Magee
    Jonesboro, AR (arkansas)
    NHTOC #124
    2006 HD #3053

2002 DSG #803
    - born 3/8/2002
    - died 11/6/2005 RIP...
    Nature is cruel!!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey jim...

the rears are your primary problem... no depth there at all.. The alpine SPS570A 5x7 2ways fit ok.. they sound good for $100. Especially for "rear fill"

If you are going for abso;lute best sound, the Alpine SPR574A, Boston Acoustics NX87, Infinity Reference 6902cf, JL Audio TR,VR,XR570's, Precison Power DCX570C all are great & very unique sounding 5x7 coax replacements ranging in price from $150-350... be sure to watch your depth on the rears..

I personally would get the best rear speaker you can AFTER you get a GREAT set of 5.25" & 1" components for the front doors or kick panels...

Audio 101... more money on the front stage than the rear fill.

trust name bands AFTER you trust your ears... take music you know & love with you & lsiten to everything you can find that will fit first... Buy your front seperates, then look at your budget (you did set some kind of budget right?) for the rears..

Lastly: Know that any amplifiaction you add to the upgraded speakers will improve the output 2 fold minimum.

Rob

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the info. OK, now everyone is REALLY going to say that I am stupid for this but: I am not ALL that unhappy with the factory stereo, I just KNOW that it could be 100 times better. That being said I am really concerned with the looks of the interior. I kind of want something with a red or chrome cone or at least red or chrome accents since you can see it through the door panels (Match the red and chrome accents of the truck). The only things I have found with red is either Sony or digital audio, and the only ones with chrome are the Rockford Fosgate.

OK, go ahead everyone.... start slamming me!!! How stupid that is and everything. I am a grown man, I can take it!

Anyway. I did look at the ones you mentioned and I have certainly considerred the Alpines and Infinities. But, still looking for something that grabs me. But I REALLY REALLY appreciate the input and information. I have built several boxes over the last 15 years, replaced a couple factory HU and speakers, but have never done any amp, crossover, etc wiring. I can be a pretty damn good fabricator, and especially wood worker when I am not hurried, and that is how I came to build a few boxes. Friends told me what they needed and HOW (airtight, etc) they needed it and I built it for them. But, never got past the actual box fabrication and delivery on my end.

Thanks for all the help.

Later,

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Rockford stuff over the Sony Stuff unless you hear a set of the Sonys in a truck & you really like what you hear

Although I am told the new XS-HF500G component sets (5.25" & tweeter) sound remarkably good for a Sony. & they should for $250 a set.

You forgot Diamond AudioM6 series components $350 a set for the 5.25" & tweeter.. sound awesome. These have the aluminum/titanium cones on the woofers & tweeter.

The Diamond Audio will grab you for looks & overall very brilliant sound. The New Rockford's sound very sweet.

As for building your system. If you can handle custom box fab you can do the rest. The head unit is a"plug & play" with the harness & install kits that are out now. Assemble everything on the bench, slide the oem radio out, new in.

Amp is not tough, just have to take your time. Luckily Ford gives you a great hole with a rubber gromet under the carpet on the passengers side floor board. pull back the carpet, the plug is in the floor where the firewall & floor meet. Pop the plug, cut an "X" in it with a carpet knife.. run your power wire (8ga or heavier) up the firewall to the batter. Fuse near the battery. Amp goes in the rear compartment behind the rear seats next to jack.

If the radio is powering the speakers your only running on short pair of wires to the sub.

If you are running a 5 channel amp or a couple amps & no radio power (prefered) then what I do is this: I personally run home-audio wire designed for inwall speakers. It has 4 16ga speaker wires in one cable. Easy to run & handle. Run this from the amp to each door or you can cheat & run one cable to the area behind the radio & using the harness from the radio to run through the OEM wires into the doors. either way is fine up to about 50-75 watts per door. After that run wires into the doors.

Not tough.Take your time.. you'll be fine.

Rob