Thread: Progress of my 10" custom box

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Progress of my 10" custom box

Well...I couldn't leave well enough alone. Bought a new rear console to keep stock, but I've decided to go ahead and build a custom box inside it.

It's still in the works, but as soon as I get it finished, I'll post all the details and pics, etc. Thanks to HD4mula and CDN02HD for their input. As it stands, I've done a completely different design, but I've use their boxes for input and will probably use a similar method to HD's for mounting the lid. The major difference is the shape and mine is built for a 10" sub.

I'm building it out of 3/4" MDF with a plexiglass top.

I have the box built and sealed, just need to get the plexi top, the subwoofer, cut the mounting hole, etc.

So far my external measurements (without the top!) are as follows:

Top measurement is 17.1/2, bottom measurement is 15.1/2 (it angles up in the back like Teknics to maximize air space.

It's 9.1/4 deep (extenal, without the top on) and 12" wide.

By my calculations, it should be about .775 cubic feet of airspace.

I'm only going to use 1/2 plexi for the top...anyone see any problems with this? 3/4 is hard to find and way expensive! Plus it might make it a bit too tall and create fitment issues.

So far, I can say that it's been a royal pain to achieve enough airspace and have it fit right with the console fitting in the stock location. I believe I have it all worked out though, and have my mounting brackets worked out good enough so that it will fit perfectly. As soon as I get it all mounted up and verify that I don't have to make any changes for fitment issues, I'll post a complete how to so anyone else wanting to do a similar box won't have to experience the headache I went through!

As far as a sub goes, I'm looking at a MTX Thunder 6000. It only requires .5 cu feet of airpace and seems like a good value. I wouldn't mind going with JL, but can't stomach the price. I'm going to be pushing it with 150 watts of my Kicker 300.4 amp. Anyone have any recommendations on this part of the set-up? Different sub, wiring recommendations, etc? Any advice or comments are welcome, as I'm planning on putting together a heck of a how-to to share the wealth!

69 in the bed of my truck
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    im planning on the same thing but im going with the 10" kicker solar baric. hits like a 12 and only needs .66 air space
    Yea... um 69!!!!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm sure you could use my dimensions with that. The box is 12" wide externally, so that would give you 10.5 inches in which to mount the subwoofer (two sides taking up 3/4 and 3/4). Would the square solobaric be able to mount within those parameters?