Thread: Ohm question

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question Ohm question

Here's the set-up I have planned:

Kicker 300.4 amp with 2 channels (150watts) pushing 2 front door speakers. The other two channels bridged to push my MTX 10" with 150 watts.

I'm using my stock HU with line level converters. I'll need 2 since I'm running 3 channels off the amp. Obviously, for the front speakers, I'll tap into their output behind the HU for the line level converter, run my RCA's to the amp and 16ga back to the doors.

For the sub, I'll have to tap into the rear speaker outputs behind the HU for the line level converter, run my RCA's to the amp and then speaker wire to the sub.

I want to have 4 ohms at my sub. As I am tapping into the rear speaker leads from the HU for the converter, is this going to split my signal so that I wind up with a different ohm level at my sub?

Anyone see any problems with this setup or have advice, recommendations (other than upgrading my stock HU! ) I'm really trying to avoid paying someone to wire everything up...but I also want to make sure I'm hitting everything with the correct ohms, etc!

Appreciate your comments. I bought my sub tonight and am buying the plexiglass for the top tomorrow. The project is nearing its end and I'm getting ready to wire everything up first chance I get!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Several issues for you to consider:

1.) the "ohms" of your sub never change from their standard rating. Well, all speakers are rated at a "nominal" or "average" ohm rating they change all the time as they move... but that is another topic all together. for the purpose of your system & your question, the 4ohm sub is always a 4ohm sub & will forever be a 4ohm sub until you toast it.. then it will be a "NO-ohm sub" LOL

2.) Signal strength for the purposes of feeding an amplifier musical signal is measured in voltage. Yes resistance (ohms) factor in, but the voltage is your main concern. More voltage = cleaner signal & the lower you can keep your gains for a cleaner sound & more head room. good speaker wire from the HU to the amp will assure good voltage. Proper gain setting is critical with speaker level inputs

3.) If you choose to take what you can get from the OEM HU speaker outputs, you will need line converters either from Peripherial electronics or from Soundgate. They are really the ony quality L/O converters designed to take the overall output from the OEM HU & step it down properly & give you clean signal.

4.) JL & Xtant have built in L/O converters that work quite well in the limited frequency range the OEM HU gives out. The Kicker 300.4 (I assume you mean the KX300.4) has the Converter inputs as well, so run the OEM speaker wires straight into it. No RCA's or adapters needed. Go here for the manual & print it out... there are little plastic plugs with wires on them... more than likely grey & green wires... & there are 2 of these plugs.. Wire your speakers to them.. fli the switches as instructed in the manual.

http://www.kicker.com/images/manuals...00_4Manual.pdf

5.) Be sure to solder the connections if at all possible. This will help minimize signal losses. Also, use good speaker wire. Extension cords with the ends cut off won't cut it.

6.) I would go to Ultimate electronics or other bigger chain that does higher end home stereo installs. Ask for 16ga-4 in wall speaker wire. This is 4 individual 16ga speaker wires (2 pos + & 2 neg -) in one jacket (green, red, black, & white). Easy to run, good wire, & more cost effective. I would run 2 "cables" for the front & rear input to your amp. Run them down the driver's side of the truck. RUn your power wire down the passenger side. Neat clean & fast. About $.65 a foot.. get 50-100 ft. you can run this to all the speakers from your amp for a nice wire upgrade too.

7.) go slow. follow the directions in the manual for setting the gains with the high-level (speaker level) inputs.

Rob

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey buddy, I genuinely appreciate you taking the time it took to write all that down for me. I was taking notes as I read!

I do have one question, though, and it's a simple one. My amp is the Kicker KX300.4 and it does have speaker level inputs. I had planned on going with the line converters because I had picked up somewhere that the results might be better due to the greater length of speaker wire needing to be run increasing the opportunity for noise to be picked up. I'd definitely save some cash just using the speaker level inputs...I'm thinking from your reponse that you feel this would be fine versus the line converters?

You also answered another question I'd been wondering when you said:

there are little plastic plugs with wires on them... more than likely grey & green wires... & there are 2 of these plugs.. Wire your speakers to them..
    The line level inputs on my amp are these tiny, tiny single blade prongs that are real close together. Been wondering what the heck kinda connector was intended here. Now I know that it's just because I don't have the plugs, which I was not aware of. I've read the manual online, but didn't see it ever mention the plugs.

I'll add those plugs to the shroud screws and the manual that were promised and not delivered and lump them with the damaged finish on the shroud that was never mentioned. Then I'll remember not to purchase from a certain member again.;c

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well on the lone converter question here is my thought. I would save the cost of 2 high quality line converters ($50-75 EACH) & the cost of decent RCA's (16-20Ft @ $30 each X 2) & put that adise for when you get crazy & want the new HU.

The Resistance in the speaker cable from the HU to the amp at the rear wall will be an insignifcant issue since you are using the OEM HU anyway. The Converters in the Kicker are very good. They are epoxy potted & have a threshold control to keep noise out & signal high. If you get the 16ga-4 i was speaking of in the previous post from Ultimate Electronics it will be Monster Cable brand & it will not have a loss across the 25ft or so you will run.

There are supposed to be (2) 4 wire plugs for the speaker level in. Check with your local Kicker Dealer. They will likely give them to you since they rarely use them.. They will likely have a spare parts box out back or might even pirate them from a new amo for $5 or so. Last option, call Kicker they are great people, they will sell them to you on a credit card through the parts department.

AS frustrating as it is not to get everything in a used purchase like this... the speaker level plugs are something used soo rarely most people toss them with the packaging.

rob