Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Broken Tonneau Cover Lock

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Broken Tonneau Cover Lock

I have an 00 HD150 and the passenger side lock is stuck on the bed cover. The key goes in, it turns and I can here the cable moving on the passenger side but the lock will not release. This is the cover that came with the truck. Any ideas on how to get the lock to release? If not do you think it would be covered by the warranty? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

BTW, I've been looking at the sight for a few months now and you seem like a truly helpful bunch of guys so I figured it was a sign that the cover broke so I'd better join.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    If it's still under warranty, I'd say have the dealer fix it! Where about in Oregon are you?
    aka LeeRandall - NHTOC #25

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have tomorrow off so that was the plan. Woodburn Oregon about midway between Portland and Salem.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I've had that happen a few times on my HD edition leer tonneau. took it to the dealer the 1st time and all they could do was reach their arm in from the other side and manually release the stuck side. if you lift one side of the tonneau up and see the latch mechanism you can see how to release it if its shut, just pull on the part that sticks down. you really gotta torque that tonneau to reach your arm across, especially if you have big arms. I've got pretty long arms and it was tough for me to reach it. thats the only way they could get it open though.

whatever you do don't force the key around. i did that the 2nd time and snapped the lock cylinder and they had to order a new one. in the mean time i had to drive with the tailgate down so i wouldn't get locked out of my bed for good

M.HYDE: 2000 HD F-150 #0356 of 8197, Built 05/18/00, Bought 07/03/00, 700/784, 09.89@138.78
    *Worlds Fastest Street HD: '08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13****Worlds Fastest Eaton Powered HD: 12.19@112.48 11/17/07*
    D.JEKL: 2000 HD F-150 #1552 of 8197, Built 06/20/00, Bought 06/25/09, 372/450, 13.75@099.46 (*SOLD* 10/15/11)
    REPTAR: 2012 SVTF-150 #2893 of ????, Built 01/19/12, Bought 08/26/11, ???/???, 14.93@091.30
    HASTIE: 2011 GT Mustang 5.0 6-Speed, Built 10/29/10, Bought 11/11/10, 392/352, 12.00@117.79 (*SOLD* 05/14/13)
    BADGER: 2013 Explorer Sport 3.5L TT, Built ??/??/??, Bought 05/14/13, ???/???, 14.53@096.25
    GEN.0L: 1985 XL F-150 w/'94 Lightning Donor Engine Swap, Holley Projection EFI, 03 HD Paint

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the info. I could get my arm in there but I was afraid of twisting the cover too much. I'll have to try it again. Thanks for the info!!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    same problem mine is stuck closed i went to open it and the damn push button stayed in and the damn thing is stuck closed.......i know its an old thread but help me out ppl.....dont want to break it trying to open it

Name: Patrick

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    I've had that happen a few times on my HD edition leer tonneau. took it to the dealer the 1st time and all they could do was reach their arm in from the other side and manually release the stuck side. if you lift one side of the tonneau up and see the latch mechanism you can see how to release it if its shut, just pull on the part that sticks down. you really gotta torque that tonneau to reach your arm across, especially if you have big arms. I've got pretty long arms and it was tough for me to reach it. thats the only way they could get it open though.

whatever you do don't force the key around. i did that the 2nd time and snapped the lock cylinder and they had to order a new one. in the mean time i had to drive with the tailgate down so i wouldn't get locked out of my bed for good
    were they able to order a lock that was keyed the same as your truck?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eviiil View Post
    same problem mine is stuck closed i went to open it and the damn push button stayed in and the damn thing is stuck closed.......i know its an old thread but help me out ppl.....dont want to break it trying to open it
    When I was having my Gaylord's Speedster installed, a customer came in with the same problem. The dealer service tech placed a towel on the lid and applied downward pressureand then turned the key or release mechanism. This seemed to work. Sounds like latch adjustments / lubrication are in order.
    Good Luck!
    BBU

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eviiil View Post
    The 00's came stock with OEM tonneau covers (technically), and their latch system is different than every other tonneau I've seen, so you probably want to checkout BBU's response since it's probably more relavant than the tricks to opening the 00's stuck latches

Quote Originally Posted by shanker View Post
    were they able to order a lock that was keyed the same as your truck?
    lol yeah right. If that was the case, it would have been keyed to the truck in the first place since it took 18 months after buying the truck to get the tonneau The second lock cylinder came with its own keys just like the first lock cylinder in the original tonneau.

On my second 00 HD though, I was pertty surprised, that ignition key is the same as the tonneau key. That guy bought his truck a month after mine, but he had it preordered and it never even sat on the dealers lot. Supposedly the 00's were supposed to be shipped with spare lock cylinders in the glove boxes for the tonneaus, but many were misplaced when dealers prepped the trucks for the showroom

Funny this thread is back up, last month my tonneau on #356 got stuck shut. The lock cylinder just wouldn't turn at all. I was able to get the bed open by grabbing each corner and pushing up really hard, going back and forth side to side several times and get it up enough to pull the tailgate open (basically forcing the clamped rails to slide up on the bedrails). Even with it open I still couldn't get the cylinder to work again. I had to pay a locksmith $100 to spray some WD-40 in the cylinder and put a thin pick inside and just push afew times to release the stuck wafer Took him 30 seconds to fix it, but I knwo how to do it next time it happens lol. If the tonneau sticks shut on me, I'm SOL with the fuel cell in the bed!

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    I dont know of a single other 00 owner who's tonneau cover lock matches the ignition (its supposed to)

when I bought my truck new, the key cylinder was NOT in the glove box

Stock Block Beast 11.322
    Name:

Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    Even with it open I still couldn't get the cylinder to work again. I had to pay a locksmith $100 to spray some WD-40 in the cylinder and put a thin pick inside and just push afew times to release the stuck wafer Took him 30 seconds to fix it, but I knwo how to do it next time it happens lol. If the tonneau sticks shut on me, I'm SOL with the fuel cell in the bed!
    Had the same problem. Very frustrating getting locked out. Took the cylinder apart, determined which tumbler was sticking. Tried to file it, still would not work consistently. So I removed the stuck tumbler. Still have 4 tumblers working, have not been locked out since. Careful taking cylinder apart, retaining clip has a spring beneath it.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I dont know of a single other 00 owner who's tonneau cover lock matches the ignition (its supposed to)

when I bought my truck new, the key cylinder was NOT in the glove box

I had mine changed to match the day I noticed it didn't match.... Which was 3 years ago

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrf150 View Post
    I had mine changed to match the day I noticed it didn't match.... Which was 3 years ago
    I've been trying for years now, nobody can seem to get me a lock cylinder that is matched to the truck.

I have all brand new inside cables and what not from Leer ready to install as soon as I find a lock cylinder

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've been trying for years now, nobody can seem to get me a lock cylinder that is matched to the truck.

I have all brand new inside cables and what not from Leer ready to install as soon as I find a lock cylinder
    He re keyed the one that came on the cover....

If it helps Autolok: Your key to automotive security - 988 New Britain Avenue, W. Hartford, CT 06110 / (860) 953-2222

I know its in CT but............

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    okay well i have an 03 and mine is stuck closed with the button depressed i need to find out how to get it open now

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast