Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Broken Tonneau Cover Lock

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanker View Post
    I dont know of a single other 00 owner who's tonneau cover lock matches the ignition (its supposed to)

when I bought my truck new, the key cylinder was NOT in the glove box
    I hadn't heard of any others either. The guy I bought mine from obviously barely drove the truck with only 898 miles on it in 9 years, but when he went to open the tonneau when I went to pickup the truck, I was ready to laugh when first he pushed on the lock cylinder thinking it was a button to open the cover, and then he went to stick the ignition key in the tonneau, and my jaw nearly dropped when the key actually opened it I'd love to have #356's tonneau rekeyed for the cylinder to match the ignition too

Quote Originally Posted by cbrf150 View Post
    I had mine changed to match the day I noticed it didn't match.... Which was 3 years ago

Do you remember how much it ran? And were they able to do it with the cylinder still in the tonneau, or did they have to pop it out?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    I hadn't heard of any others either. The guy I bought mine from obviously barely drove the truck with only 898 miles on it in 9 years, but when he went to open the tonneau when I went to pickup the truck, I was ready to laugh when first he pushed on the lock cylinder thinking it was a button to open the cover, and then he went to stick the ignition key in the tonneau, and my jaw nearly dropped when the key actually opened it I'd love to have #356's tonneau rekeyed for the cylinder to match the ignition too

Do you remember how much it ran? And were they able to do it with the cylinder still in the tonneau, or did they have to pop it out?

Josh, I personally know the owner of that place. I brought him my lock and a spare ign key so he could do the match up and I think it was like 40 bucks "prob a better price than a normal walk in" ... If you want to mail the stuff to my shop I can get it done for you..

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I may actually take you up on that one. I think I have a spare cylinder for the tonneau up in my attic, and I've got spare keys since I bought the HD logo ones for the truck. With getting slammed $100 for just freeing my frozen lock up, I'm sure rekeying it is even more to get it done local

Name: Patrick

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    I may take up on that offer too...I've already got my cylinder pulled out and a spare ignition key to mail off.maybe a 2erfer discount?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    well damn my as well make a group buy haha i think thats why i cant open my tonneau cover now....im guessing thats the problem the button is stucked depressed

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I may actually take you up on that one. I think I have a spare cylinder for the tonneau up in my attic, and I've got spare keys since I bought the HD logo ones for the truck. With getting slammed $100 for just freeing my frozen lock up, I'm sure rekeying it is even more to get it done local
    I may take up on that offer too...I've already got my cylinder pulled out and a spare ignition key to mail off.maybe a 2erfer discount?

Just let me know..

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    what needs to be done like i said mine is in the depressed postion i need to get it fixed somehow come on people chime in

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    evilll, what brand tonneau do you have? You're best off going back to the tonneau dealer and having them check it out, its probably a common thing that they see and can easily fix. Other than that you could call a locksmith for a stuck lock, but it'll pry cost more than going to the tonneau dealer.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yeah just did that today thanks alot man.....took it to local camper shell dealer and they had to "break in" to it and charged me a 20 dollar tip for the mechanic

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    $20 is much cheaper than $100 for a locksmith! lol

Name: Patrick

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    so I'm digging this thread up from the grave..

cbrf150, can I send you my tonneau cover lock cyliner w/ the right key and a copy of my truck key to get it keyed the same?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    so I'm digging this thread up from the grave..

cbrf150, can I send you my tonneau cover lock cyliner w/ the right key and a copy of my truck key to get it keyed the same?
    PM sent

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    since this threads already dug up lol, just wanted to mention, I had the tonneau lock freeze up AGAIN, but this time on Jekyll. I saved the $100 this time though and used the lock smiths trick....squirt some WD-40 in the cylinder, work the key in and out several times, and POP it opened right up! So now I don't feel so bad about spending $100 on it back in '09....now its more like $50 each haha.

On another note I also had the lock cylinder freeze up on me last month...literally...from all the frozen rain. I had to get my spare key, hit it with the mini-torch, then stick it in the lock to melt the ice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2