Thread: Help RobG

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Help RobG

It's starting to get colder where I am ( TN ) and I think ill have time to get one more good detail in before winter hits. Tomorrow I think im going to order my supplies and get started. Since I don't have a pic of my truck yet ill describe it to ya. It has minor swirls and oxidation. I tried to buff the oxidation out and it help on the areas where I did it a few times but I didn't have the time to do the whole truck. I want my entire truck to be oxidation free and swirl free. I would like to keep it in the Zaino family if you agree that thats a good wax and I have a feeling i'll have to claybar it also. Can you give me a shopping list on stuff that you think it will take to get my paint in tip top shape and just think of me not having any supplies because I want to get all new stuff and please include name brands for the cleaning cloths etc. just to insure that I get stuff that is actual 100 % cotton and not something that will give me swirls. Thanks in advance, Trey P.S.-- Have you done anything with your interior like billet or audio?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For hand application...

Forget Zaino.

Try Pinnacle..http://autogeek.net/pinsouvkit.html

On Venomous Mofo's recommandation I switched from Zaino to Pinnacle in May and haven't looked back. The key is the prep though.

1. Wash the truck with a liquid soap ( Dawn is the popular choice here ).

2. Clay bar the truck. Pinnacle has a nice clay bar kit if you don't have one.

3. Go over the truck panel by panel with Pinnacle Paint Cleansing lotion

4. Now seal the shiny paint with Pinnacle Souveran. The paste in the above kit is excellent but if you have the $$$ get the liquid formula too, you can layer the two waxes for the best black finish you'll see.

Also, only use micro fiber applicators and towels for the detailing process, this way you will completely minimize your chances of swirls. I buy my towels here...http://www.microfibertech.com/eliteTowel.html

Auto Geek has the micro fiber apllicators, chamoi's and wash mitts. Good investment

Not much done on the interior but I'll post a pic or two of the stuff I've done.
    '03 H-D # 553

NHTOC # 38

Ex Pat. Gearhead!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is a very emotive/personal subject.
    Pinnacle is very good but is different to ZAINO.
    Zaino is a sealant (as is Klasse) and not really a polish! Having said that you can apply ZAINO for protection and put a wax on top (say S100 or MOOSE Wax) and have wonderful results. Of course to re-apply ZAINO you would have to clean the wax off.
    It is a case of what you want to do. I fully believe ZAINO lats longer than a wax and therefore takes less time once applied but I also believe a better "shine" can be obtained. THE thing is PREP. PREP. PREP.!!!!!!!!! My hood is swirled but due to an imperfection is about to be re-sprayed under warranty, so will ZAINO after this.
    An orbital polisher is best if swirling is bad but hand prep. can also work with the correct products.
    Check out Autopia.com and search for ZAINO/Pinnacle etc. you will be Blown Away.
    Just have fun with it and do the prep. work.
    BTW, my micro fibers are from J T International jtintern@hotmail.com
    here are some prices (he does not advertise and thus keeps prices down but excellent cloths)
    15x15 $2
    thats ultrafine
    24x24
    $4
    thats Micro Touch
    Waffle (the best for drying after washing)
    16x36 $7
    16x24 $4

hope this helps,
    it is all subjective/persoanl taste,
    Nick
    :BF: ;sfus

2003 2 Tone
    Front Tint
    J&J Lower Grille
    K&N Filter
    REM Oil Seperator
    Alpine IVA-C800,Alpine AiNet 12Disc Changer, Alpine AiNet DVD Navigation, Alpine "S" Series Speakers, Alpine 400W Amp.
    Custom Anniversary Emblems
    Bedrug
    Snuglid SL
    Royal Purple Slippery Stuff
    H&K P7 M8 Alarm System
    Lots of ZAINO!
    Spintech Race Mufflers/X-Pipe

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks again Rob..... I got my stuff ordered today and im going to get started on it tomorrow. Looking forward to the interior pics. See Ya, Trey