Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: what the heck??

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    James I have been asking the same basic question every time anyone mentions more boost & tuning... so I will ask you the same:

How can a guy in Minnesota with say a #6 lower, TB, JLP Air Box, Bassani Cat back, & say a FTVB get a custom tune from anyone other than a dealer in Minnesota... actually his specific city?

I feel I have a pretty firm grasp on tuning & overall Electronic Fuel injection. So I pose the variables that say it isn't possible:

Gasoline quality alone prohibts any custom tune without real time with the vehicle on a dyno & a Wide Band A/f or EGT. Then there is ambeint air quality(smog versus the back woods) , miles above or below sea level, etc...

I am not attacking you at all.. I just don't get it... How can anyone not fight what 4cfed was speaking about, without a LOCAL tuner?

I would love for an actual tuner to address this.

Thanks...

Rob W.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by 2002GreyHD150
    How can a guy in Minnesota with say a #6 lower, TB, JLP Air Box, Bassani Cat back, & say a FTVB get a custom tune from anyone other than a dealer in Minnesota... actually his specific city?
    Rob, if one has the experience in tuning vehicles at all sorts of different locations throughout the US (or world for that matter), areas of different elevations, climate, fuel grade and quality, then it is only a matter of putting that experience into developing the tunes.

Sometimes I can nail a mail order tune on the first attempt, and other times it takes 2 or 3 tries. Using a system like the Predator, you're able to take out the issue of shipping chips back and forth in hopes that you have the file right, plus you cut down on time drastically. You can create mulitple files of varying degree to give your customer so they can test and report back their findings/readings, either using the Predator's diagnostics, an a/f meter, a dyno, or a combination of all of them.

I really do prefer my customers to have at least the ability to have their a/f checked, regardless. There are a ton of a/f meters on the market that have great features for minimum pricing. I personally do not see why anyone would not want one of these very valuable tools. In combination with a powerful diagnostics device, one really does not need to have a dyno to have a perfect tune.

P.s. If you have a gas vehicle, you do NOT tune based on EGT readings. I know you may not be inferring this, but I've seen some people swear they can. This is absolutely crazy to attempt.

I hope this helps to answer your questions.

Sincerely...

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Question

Originally posted by RWTD
    There are a ton of a/f meters on the market that have great features for minimum pricing. I personally do not see why anyone would not want one of these very valuable tools
    Sincerely...
    Good info James....
    Can you provide a link to information on the AF meters?
    TIA

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by MemphisHarley
    Good info James....
    Can you provide a link to information on the AF meters?
    TIA
    Try any of these!

www.widebandcommander.com (coming out this month, seems to be best on market)

www.innovatemotorsports.com

www.fjoracing.com

Sincerely...

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Question My order??

Originally posted by RWTD
    Try any of these!

www.widebandcommander.com (coming out this month, seems to be best on market)

www.innovatemotorsports.com

www.fjoracing.com

Sincerely...
    Thanks for the links.
    Did you receive my predator order??

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks James...

Rob W.

Member # 125
    Name: -

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    to all you guys with predators getting detonation= if you have added blower pulleys please go 2 ranges colder with your plugs! a 180 t-stat wouldn't hurt either.

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Cool

Originally posted by musturbo
    to all you guys with predators getting detonation= if you have added blower pulleys please go 2 ranges colder with your plugs! a 180 t-stat wouldn't hurt either.
    Will do...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by musturbo
    Nothing against you, sir, and please don't take this negatively, but this above is not good advice.

The factory thermostat in these Lightnings and Harleys is already a 180. No need to change it, period, not even to a colder one. These rogue companies offering free 160 or *180* thermostats are just giving gimmicks to create additional sales. If one does happen to go colder, then I definitely do not suggest going less than a 170 stat.

Also, the pcm can actually add in more timing if your ECT and ACT temps are cooler, and this is not always desirable.

As for the plugs, if timing is too aggressive in a tune, regardless of whatever tuning device is used, colder plugs is NOT going to cure detonation or pinging, nor fix the aggressive issue of the tune.

If you're running factory boost, or up to around +4 #'s over stock, then I suggest a plug that is 1 step cooler. If you're running +4 and above, then I suggest 2 steps cooler on the plugs. The Denso IT20 is great for stock applications, and the IT22 for moderate to heavily modified Lightnings/Harleys (even Cobras).

I hope this helps.

Sincerely...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2