Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jl Audio Stealth Box 101 Read Before You Buy!!!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jl Audio Stealth Box 101 Read Before You Buy!!!

Ok lets see if we can eliminate the 55,000 question abotu stealth boxes for a while.

PLEASE DO NOT POST QUESTIONS OR REPLIES HERE...

if you want to add a thought or idea to the sticky.. put a post out on the Audio board I will add it... lets keep the sticky clean & easy to folow.

What Years & models do they make Stealth Boxes For?

Go here there are models for the '00 & the '01. Acutally the '00 owners can have TWO (2) Stealth boxes for even more bass

'00 Front console:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?fit_id=1384

'00 Under Rear Seat:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?fit_id=1383

'01 Front Console

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?fit_id=1385

'02-03 HD 150

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?fit_id=1496

'04 F250/350

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?fit_id=1499

'04 F150

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?fit_id=1514

Stealth Box What is it?

A direct fit fiberglass enclosure designed to go INSDIE the consoles or under the seats of various trucks. The key is the design process read this:

http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/ford.html

One important fact left off the website is that not only is the enclosure molded for an OEM fit, but every vehicle has numerous locations tested for best sound FIRST. The location chosen for final production, represents the best possible sound for the best possible woofer, for the best practicle solution...

Finally, the intention of the Stealth Box series is to give great, acurate bass within the confines of the OEM interior. Notice I did not mention LOUD or THUNDEROUS. Nor did I mention that it will bounce quarters off your roof, shake your neighbor's windows, rattle the car next to you, or make the girls flock to your truck at the drive-in. This subwoofer system is designed for accuracy. YES it gets loud. Yes it plays low, YES it will vibrate the truck when driven hard with the right CD or movie... BUT those are NOT the design parameters of this system. If you want any of those or other "feats of super-human strength" from a sub woofer system, go custom. Bare minimum listen to a truck with a Stealth & your own music.

What Size Speaker is in the enclosure:

It varies. look at the link to your truck above the speaker size(s) are indicated as well as the engineering going into that model's design.

Does the installation require cutting or modifying my interior

Depends on you & your truck. I have not worked with the front console models since they were redesigned. The rear-under seat unit requires holes to be drilled in the carpet & floor. The '02-'03 has instructions that tell you to cut the inner liner for "best fit" but several of us have done the install perfectly without modification to the rear console. got here for pics & details:

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthr...ht=stealth+box

Will I like the stealthbox for my kind of music?

Answer is depends on your music style first & foremost. Second it depends on the amplifier you choose. But the short answer is:

If you listen to hardcore Rap/Dance/Hip Hop/Trance/Electronica then the Stealth will leave you wanting more. No matter how much power you put to it... it wont satisfy you.

Can I install it myself? What about Warranty

JL's official warranty policy:

http://www.jlaudio.com/index.html# click warranty....

in a nut shell. The Stealth box is 2 year warranty if DEALER installed & 90 days if self installed. NOW be aware there are JL dealers who will give you the 2-year warranty if you isntall it yourself if they feel you know what your doing. Tread nicely..

Where can I get the best price on a Stealth for my Truck?

Read this First:

http://www.jlaudio.com/internetsales.html

Short form: If you buy online = sellers warranty only... NO JL WARRANTY over the internet or MAIL ORDER!!

Dealer's install can be negotiated to close the deal. Local dealer's know the game. Here in St. Louis they will Sell the '02-'03 for $450-499 all day long... Retail is $599. Shop around... You wont find it online less than $450 new. Also factor in that when you buy from a JL Dealer 3-day shipping to the dealer is free. This thing is kinda heavy... so that's a $50-75 savings.

Can I blow the Stealth Box with XX amp or XXXwatts of power

YES ANY SPEAKER CAN BE BLOWN WITH ANY AMOUNT OF POWER

People who ask this question should consult a professional installer/shop.

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthr...&threadid=7641

How can I hook up my Stealth to my stock Head Unit

1.) if you ask this you haven't read the Audio FAQ

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthr...&threadid=6188

SHAME on you.

2.) if you choose to do this (tisk-tisk) then a JL or Xtant amplifier is just about a requirement.

3.) run a search for "Stealth Box" at the bottom of the Audio page. Then read the 3+ pages of threads on Stealth boxes. its been covered 15,000 times...

That's the first round of info. As more things are asked I will add them.
    Last edited by 2002GreyHD150; 09-02-2005 at 08:55 AM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ttt
    IN MEMORY OF
    Blake (Fuzion) Finnel 12-3-1986 - 08-11-2007
    NHTOC #120

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    All links above have been updated to the new JL audio website.

Rob W
    Last edited by 2002GreyHD150; 09-02-2005 at 08:55 AM.

Name: Chris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rob will a 12" W7 fit in the Stealth Box?

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I still would like a custom box with bed pass through for a JL Sledgehammer!!!!!

Only need like 8000 watts to get the damn thing to move

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    a 12W7 or a 13w7?

ok the 12w3v2 has an 11.06" mounting hole already in the stealth box... overall diam of 12.5" wide.

the 12w7 requires an 10.5" mounting hole.. but a filler ring will be needed. I would use 3/16" aluminum plate due to weight & massive pressure... ... overall 12.5" wide so its good...

13w7 needs a 11.9" mounting hole so a little trimming/filing it will fit... redrill the holes & reinforce from the back side. Overall 14" diam will likely over hang the edgesof the stealt's structure but that won't affect/effect performance... as long as the mounting is solid.

12w3v2 = 6.56" deep, the 12w7 is 9.5" deep, the 13w7 is 10.5" deep

so they will all fit in the hole... BUT......

12w3v2 =1.25cuft optimum volume
    12w7 = 1.375cuft optimum volume
    13w7 = 1.875cu ft optimum volume

So, yes the 12w7 will work, add 1-1.5 lbs of polyester fiber fill (cabbage patch doll guts from walmart 1-1.5 bags) & be absolutley sure the woofer is sealed.

13w7... I guess in theory you could stuff 2-2.5 lbs (2-2.5 bags) of poly fill into the stealth box... BUT the stealth's baffle is made of 3/4" (.75") thick material & the 13w7 calls for 1"... so if you made a 14-15" outside diam MDF ring 1" thick & boleted it to the stealth & spaced the stealth & console up it could be made to work....

For all that work.. I'd build a version of HD4mula's box out of 1" & 3/4" mdf & do it right...

12w7 yes.... 13w7 yes but not logical.

Rob W

Vader's Chauffer
    Name: Ryan

Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    I am dragging this thread up from the grave...you have answered the 10 and 12w7 in a stealth box, but I am curious your thoughts about putting a 10 or 12w6 in a stealth box, can it be reasonably done, and your thoughts on the sound quality/output of this speaker vs the 12w3.

I really want to keep the stock rear console, but add a decent amount of bass. Enough to shake the mirrors quite well, but I don't need to be heard a mile away. I am into sound quality at a high quantity if that makes sense. And from what every one is saying I won't get that from the stock JL stealth box.

I want to add that I had a 10w3 in a downfiring sealed box in my '05 kenworth, and it sounded fantastic. I could hear and feel the bass quite well in the front of the cab while the box was under my bed in the sleeper. The kenworth had a lot more airspace than a s-crew does, could that be the difference? Done rambling, thanks in advance-

Name:

Liked 111 Times in 76 Posts
    search hd4mula box on here

this is my hd4mula box w/plexi top

Vader's Chauffer
    Name: Ryan

Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Nice setup...thanks for the right thing to search too, good stuff. I was worried I'd have to play with fiber glass. Thanks again BlairTruck!

Name: Rich

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    I put an alpine type r 12 in my stealth box and love it

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Im putting a Alpine type X in mine soon. Hopefully the stealth box holds it, much heavier than the stock stealthbox sub

Name: Rich

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    The only thing I did different was, I made risers to lift the box higher. That way the sub has more room for excursion. Before that it was hitting the floor on certain bass hits. Also laid down dynamat on the floor around it.

Name:

Liked 111 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tpr103 View Post
    The only thing I did different was, I made risers to lift the box higher. That way the sub has more room for excursion. Before that it was hitting the floor on certain bass hits. Also laid down dynamat on the floor around it.
    i put the square sub on the inside of the box. more excursion room for sub.

Name: M

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Which amp are you using to power your alpine type x?

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hemithis View Post
    Which amp are you using to power your alpine type x?
    Alpine MRX-M110 wired in at 2ohms

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast