Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dual Gauge Pod, Boost & A/F Install

Master Procastinator
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Post Dual Gauge Pod, Boost & A/F Install

Some people were asking for it, I hope this can help (I wrote it from memory so don’t hold me liable if some nut sizes are off or whatever):

I have finished installing a dual gauge pillar with a Boost gauge and Air/fuel ratio gauge (everything Autometer). I got all the information I needed from Crockett's previously posted "How to" on another site, but I figured we needed one here so I will elaborate. Get some paper in your printer, this is a long one.

Take plugs out of handle and remove nuts. I used a nut driver and a 8mm socket.

With the handle off the entire pillar comes off. It takes some prying, but it just pops off.

I removed two pieces of the lower dash next. First there was the part above the steering wheel column (right below the speedometer). This just pops off without any screws. The lower dash comes off in 8 screws (7 mm and 8 mm). The tricky ones are behind the hood and brake release levers. The other two ‘sneaky’ ones are underneath the fuse box. They are holding the metal part of the dash to another metal part of the frame.

The kick panel by the door came off easily (no screws). In fact, I removed the plastic floor plate as well to get the panel off easier (again, no screws).

With the pillar off, I was able to figure out exactly where I wanted the pod. (make sure it does not interfere with your dashboard). I used a piece of soap to draw on the pillar to get the right position.

I then used a Dremel tool to carve out part of the pod so that I could keep the handle. I guess I got carried away with the cutting because I cut too much off. Now I had a gap to fill.

Next, I clamped the pod on the pillar and drilled holes through both and used the little anchors supplied with the pod to hold it on.

Using a two part epoxy putty (marine putty actually) I filled the gap and smoothed out the gap. The textures don’t match perfectly, but it looks a lot better than a hole. I made sure the handle still fit on easily around the putty.

With that dry, I used flat black spay paint to paint the pillar and the pod (but not the handle – I did not want the paint to come off under use).

I put two holes in the column to pull the wires through (one hole for each gauge) I think it was easier than fishing them through one hole in the bottom. I went ahead and pushed the gauges into place with the wires fished through the holes. Do not kink your vacuum tube (or wires for that matter).

I took a straightened wire hanger with a bent tip, and fished it through the dash up to where the pillar was going from a hole to the left of the emergency brake. It took a few pokes, but it went through. Don’t force it.

Using some electric tape, I rapped the wires (and hose) around the hook on the hanger. Making sure not to leave any raised edges or corners to get caught, and that they weren’t going to come off with a good tug. The wires came through easily, and I detached the hanger.

I added wire to the A/F gauge wires (accept black which were long enough).

I snapped the pillar back into place and replaced the handle. I made sure the gauges were at the angle I wanted.

At this time I went ahead and disconnected the battery and removed it. I knew I had to get to the module behind it (almost into the fender), and I figured it would be easier with it out of my way.

I spliced the two black wires together and attached them to a green screw down near the floor where the kick plate was. Taking care to remove any excess slack in the wires, and stripping enough wire to get all the way around the screw.

Here is where I got confused . . .I ran the white wire for the light on the boost gauge under the dash over to my cigarette lighter (the only brown wire I could find on the right side of the dash – I think it has a stripe in it as well). This caused my boost light to come on – continuously – never shutting off unless the battery was disconnected (I realized after I completed everything). I remedied this by removing the headlight and dimmer switch assembly (something I had done when I completed the fog lamp mod) and spliced the white wire into the same junction where I made the jump for the fog lamp mod. All I had to do was use my trusty hanger to hook the white wire and pull it out of the hole that the switch fits in. Now it works with the rest of the interior lights. BTW this is a SOLID BROWN wire.

The other wire for the A/F meter connected easily to a RED wire with a BLACK stripe underneath the steering wheel. I made sure to protect this wire with some extra electric tape around it as well as running through places it would not get caught or pulled out (while adjusting the steering wheel or something). Zip ties or electric tape should do the job fine.

The PURPLE wire and the tube have to go into the engine compartment. Now is a good time to splice some extra wire onto the PURPLE. I added about 6 feet, and it was just enough. There is a rubber grommet forward of the steering wheel (looking from under the hood). As Crockett said “What a nice hole Ford has left for us!” It is found up behind the gas petal from the inside, behind some rubber sound deadening material. I removed the grommet and poked some wire through it so I could find it easier.

I ran the tube and the wire deep inside the dash. I wanted to make sure the brake wouldn’t be hitting them, or my steering wheel wouldn’t rub through over time. I used electric tape to protect the tube and wire, attaching them to other wires or fixed parts of the truck.

I cut a small hole in the center of the grommet (using a pocketknife). I fed the wire/hose through the grommet so that I could re-install the grommet properly.
    The boost gauge hook up is a little white tube sticking out on the driver’s side of the Supercharger. It is the only one that sticks out and doesn’t go anywhere. It should have a little black rubber cap on it.

I removed the cap and poked a small hole into it. I poked the gauge hose through the cap, and slid it out of the way. I then jammed the gauge hose into the SC hose fitting (it is tight but it does fit). The rubber cap then fit right back into its original position. I don’t know well this will work (as opposed to using store bought adapters), but I have not had any problems yet.

Your boost gauge install is now complete.

The A/F gauge wire has to go to the passenger side of the engine compartment. Once again the precision wire hanger tool was used, this time with some string attached to one end. I carefully pushed the hanger through the wire tray on top of the engine compartment (I did not want to run the wire across my engine. I just pushed it to each little hole, pulled the string to where I was at and went through the next section. Make sure you don’t loose the end of your string, otherwise you will have to start over.

I then tied the string to the purple wire and pulled it through the tray, and stripped the end of the wire.

It took me a minute to dig through all the wires going to the PCM, but I finally found the other RED wire with a BLACK stripe. I stripped off some of the insulation and spliced the PURPLE wire into it.

After replacing the battery, and reconnecting it, I was ready for testing.

6 lbs of boost and green lights on the A/F gauge at WOT. 25” of vacuum and oscillating A/F (red – yellow) under most conditions.

I hope to post pictures, if I ever figure out how to do them on this site.
    ;sfus Harley Davidson and Ford. . .You can't get more American than that ;sfus

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Bring this to the top for the new guy's!!!
    NHTOC # 21
    2003 10th Annv Torch Red Convertible Cobra

Predator/Runnin With The Devil
    Billetflow 2.76, idler and 4 Pulley Kit
    LFP Ported Blower
    LFP Heat Exchanger
    K&N FIPK
    LFP Brisk Plugs
    Bassani Catback/Catted X-Pipe
    LFP/Kirban Shifter
    MGW Shifter Handle
    470HP 481.5tq new KB numbers soon

Name:

INDIAN TRAIL, NC '00 F-150 Harley-Davidson
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    that doesn't sound to complcated ill have to install one after i get a supercharger

Big Jay 02DSG
    Name:

I just ordered my dual gauge pillar, Boost gauge and Air/fuel ratio gauge. This will be a a big help, thanks, 4WL HOGG

Master Procastinator
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just trying to do my part, I just wish I had a web host for my pictures!

2008 F150 FX2 LOADED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Those of you who bought a dual gauge pod did you have to modify it for the handle? If not I'd like to know where you got yours. I bought on online but it had no provisions for the handle!

2008 F150 FX2 LOADED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    BTW if anyone wants me to host some pictures for them I have some free space available.

FEATURED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Can you send me a pic of exactly where an what wire you tapped into for the A/F gauge?

chris03hd@comcast.net

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Vaccutite part numbers and additional install tips

The boost gauge hook up is a little white tube sticking out on the driver’s side of the Supercharger. It is the only one that sticks out and doesn’t go anywhere. It should have a little black rubber cap on it.

I removed the cap and poked a small hole into it. I poked the gauge hose through the cap, and slid it out of the way. I then jammed the gauge hose into the SC hose fitting (it is tight but it does fit). The rubber cap then fit right back into its original position. I don’t know well this will work (as opposed to using store bought adapters), but I have not had any problems yet.

I wanted to use a connector for this (and actually think I had too, as my tube was having no part of fitting inide the factory plastic
    fitting. Here's the info on what part you'll need to connect your 1/8" nylon boost gauge hose to this fitting:

Vacu-tite part# 47405 1/8"x5/32" soft vaccum connector

I also had to cut out a kinked portion of my nylon hose. You can use this item to splice two pieces of the nylon hose together:

Vacu-tite part# 47428 1/8"x2" vaccum connector. (it just looks like a 2" piece of black rubber tubing).

To aid in avoiding kinking the line if your nylon hose is curled from being rolled up in the packaging, here's a tip from Speedin Bob:

Soak the vac tube in HOT water (not boiling), pull it out with tongs, straighten, and clean out any water with compressed air.
    If nothing else, that should make the line a LOT easier to deal with, as mine being so curled up made my install more of a pain!

Also....on the power hook-up, if you hook it up to the light blue wire with red stripe on the headlight panel (instead of the brown), the gauge light will function with the dimmer.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Angry HELP

HELP! I see no white tube, Truck is a 03.;c
    IN MEMORY OF
    Blake (Fuzion) Finnel 12-3-1986 - 08-11-2007
    NHTOC #120

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    For a dimmer controlled wire, remove headlight / dimmer switch pod from dash. The top wire is blue with a red tracer this is a dimmable hot on a 03 HD. Removal of pod can be accomplished by using two flat bladed screw drivers and prying gently outward ,one in the bottom notch and the other in the right side, it is in there pretty darn good, just take your time.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    OK guys---I need some help.

I finally got around to installing my gauges (boost and A/F). The boost gauge was a no brainer and everything works good there. The A/F gauge seems to be working but something isn't right.

At WOT, it reads 3/4 into the rich side but the first two red lights on the lean side flash as well. The truck is definantly very rich all of a sudden. The wire connections are either on the wrong wires or are not hooked up properly. The gauge seems to have messed up the signal going to the PCM from the O2 sensor. I plugged in my Predator and there are no trouble codes. The truck won't go over 100 mph (had it at 130 the other day) and after driving for a few minutes (getting it nice and hot) it seems to be getting worse. I have never heard my truck ping before but it sure does it now and is running very rough.

I spliced the red wire from the gauge into a red wire w/black stripe coming out of the steering wheel/ignition main harness. I hooked the purple wire to a red wire w/black stripe coming out of the main harness of the PCM (control box under dash on far passenger side). Both gauges are grounded to the cab below e-brake to same green screw mentioned.

I am currently trying to trace the wires out of my O2 sensor but its too hot right now. Anybody got a clue as to whether I may have grabbed the wrong wires or what?
    2003 all black with all options
    2/5 drop by Belltech/Western
    Predator/6 lber
    http://www.supermotors.org/users/RLP

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You should have tapped in back by the 02 sensor....

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Drivers side O2 sensor has two white, one grey, one black.
    Passengers side has two white, one grey, one purple.

They go to a plug and all change colors and then dissappear into the wiring harness behind the motor where I totally can't see them. Don't know where they go or what color to look for. I would assume tapping into the purple wire would be best but there is no way to reach it. All the wires come up to the firewall in two 1" thick bundles, go into two big connectors, and then go to the PCM. One of these wires has to be the right one. There is one red wire w/black stripe in that bundle--could it be the right one?

Edit: I found the wire--it was the red/black in the bundle. I respliced the wires and still had the same problem. I am pretty sure that another problem just so happened to surface at the time I was test driving.

It pulls hard through first and second gear, shifts firmly into drive like normal, but then stops pulling. I believe my tranny is smoked....its a long story that involves a female driver and no fault of Ford. Hopefully I can get it diagnosed at the dealer this month.....

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Here guys this is for a lightning, but I think it might be the same for a HD.

http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/.../gauge_pod.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast