Yes I know this an old thread, but still important.

I've been working on my seats again, using Zaino which is almost gone. The driver's seat bottom, door side baluster was noticeably duller after treating with Zaino. No surprise, just getting in and out of the vehicle. So I applied Doc Baileys that I have been using for years on my Corbin HD Ultra Classic seat. Two days later I'm still trying to wipe the Doc Baileys off to get a clean rag to avoid transferring the black to the grey seat inserts. The Doc Bailey did recolor the black leather and bring back some of the shine and matching unworn black leather, BUT it requires days of wiping to obtain a clean rag.

I tried Meguiar's One Step Leather Care cleaner and conditioner. It appeared to clean better than Zaino leather cleaner, but left a very dull finish.

Next I decided to use Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP Leather Preservative. I've used this on my work boots for years, amazing results and my boots get far more use than getting in and out of the truck.

http://www.obenaufs.com/ - it's worth your time to learn about this product, also Made in the USA

I like the results and will not be ordering Zaino again.

Now some thoughts and question:

Posted by Merlin and other articles on the internet:

"Virtually all car leathers used today are finished with a clear protective coating that is applied for protection and durability of the leather. This means you'll actually be cleaning, or conditioning a clear protective layer that's made up of different types of resins, polymers, synthetics etc. You are not dealing with the actual leather, but the clear protective layer; just like the clear coat on your car paint. Keeping your car leather clean is the most important and critical part to the health and beauty of your car leather."

So?? - If there is a clear protective coating used on vehicle leather seats to protect the leather from stains and wear, why after cleaning we are not using this type of coating to replace / recoat the leather with the same stuff?

I submit to you, any clear coating especially on the driver's seat after years of use and cleaning is long gone.
A Google search on "leather clear protective coating" results in many such products.

Thoughts, comments - please