Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts

WELCOME to NHTOC!

Let's see some more pics of the truck.

... ...

Name: Ken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks everyone!

Throttle Jockey, I took your suggestions, did some research and found out that it is the boost bypass valve that is making the noise...well kinda, I'll explain below. I checked and rechecked and made sure that the boost bypass valve had all the correct vacuum lines were plumed correctly, made sure that the T-fitting was utilizing all the correct vacuum/signal connections. Lastly, I made sure that the boost bypass valve was at the correct down position when the engine was off/under boost and that is was up when not in boost.

Then I removed the top vacuum line off the boost bypass valve (under idle) and that's when the noise became louder and more pronounced. I reconnected the line, and the sound all but went away to the background of the engine. So maybe I'm just paranoid, and this is the sound the supercharger is supposed to make? I chased down a ford Lightning owner, and his engine sounded very similar, if not more noisy. However, he had headers and an exhaust, plus some other modifications, so it was hard to isolate one sound over another...

I changed the supercharger oil using Eatons factory oil meant for their production car superchargers. And for added value I'm going to pull off the supercharger belt, inspect the pulleys, bearings and spin the supercharger by hand to make sure its nothing serious. I also have new calipers and rotors on order, and hopefully sometime I'll get to change out the rusty factory exhaust.

I also forgot to mention that the previous owner did a PCV delete, and has the engine running breathers on both valve covers. I've done PCV deletes before on my previous vehicles, and I read that on these you'll have to remove the supercharger to get to them.

Somewhere along the line, someone added what looks to be a 6lb crank pulley. I can't confirm, but according to the installed boost gauge, the motor hits 12psi if I want it too, when merging onto the freeway. Found this out leaving post this morning.

Anyway here are some quick pics, I'll make sure to get better ones as soon as I can. Throttle Jockey, and everyone else, thank you again for the help and welcomes!

FullSizeRender (1).jpgFullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender (2).jpg