Thread: Aluma pro CAPS

Indestructible!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Post Aluma pro CAPS

Does anyone know where I can get a Aluma pro Cap at for cheap?

They have a 5 Farad, 15 Farad, and a 50 Farad.
    Last edited by Crockett59; 04-17-2003 at 07:20 AM.
    Proud owner of a 2002 Harley Davidson F150
    Mods: Kenne Bell 2.3L, Chickenears Ram Air Intake, JLP intake plenum, Weapon X Coils, Bassani High Flow cats, Magnaflow muffler, Troyer Performance E-fan, 4lb lower, FTVB, SCT chip, HID's, Accufab TB, REM Carbon Fiber intake tube, High Flow Water Pump, LFP Heat exchanger, .....theres a bunch more but I honestly can't remember it all!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Crocket what all do you have in your system?

Typiically, systems under 1,500 watts continuous power will not really benefit from a cap unless there is a battery/alternator diffiency, & then the cap is a band aid for a larger problem

I rarely let a customer buy a cap if the system isnt completely up to snuff to begin with..

Last question: Why do you want/need a cap? Not a smart a$$ question. Seriously, why do you want/need one?
    --My momma always said, opinions are just like Butt-holes everyone's entitled to one, but not always entitled to show it.

Indestructible!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have a 1100watt Class D amp running at 1ohm contuinous. I also have a 300 X 4 amp for the highs.

I have an optima red top battery, 0 gauge wire that splits into 4 gauge.

The lights dim to the point to where you can't see the dash lights. The head lights go down to about half power. It did the same thing in the other truck too. I think it has something to do with the 1 ohm thing

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ok... that's what I was hoping you'd say...

The d-class at 1ohm is likely producing 2-3,000 at peaks
    you qualify for a 50 farad cap... go big or don't go... the little ones are a waste. the recovery time of multiple small ones is additive when linked together.. one large one will recover faster & not drain as far per cycle. Also cost.. 10 5-farad caps($79 each) is $790-800 the 50 farad cap is $399... or so

If you are dimming the lights at idle/stoplight/parked a cap can help some.. but it is still a band-aid.

If you are cruising say 40-50-60mph & the light dim you are really introuble & a cap wil make it worse.

A little electrical system theroy is in order: Many people know this but lets talk about it for a second.. its good to have all in one place.

Your battery is nothing more than a storage device. It has a fixed charge & discharge rate & a very fixed (& limited) recovery time or lag. A cap has a measured lag/recovery time too, called "slew rate".

When you go out to your truck in the morning & start the truck, the battery does all the work until it is idling/running. Then the alternator does all the work. Immediately the alternator is running the truck & hopefully has enough balls to have extra power to eventually recharge the battery of the engery it lost as you cranked it to life.

To your alternator: a battery, (10) 6" off road lights, a 2nd or 3rd battery, 15 amplifiers, & (2) 50 farad caps are the same thing: a resistive load. Period. No if, ands or butts. All those items are loads that it must sustain, THEN it can worry about recharging the starting battery.

So, with this knowledge it isnt too tough to see that if you are having trouble charging the system now... a cap will not really solve the problem, at best it will mask it, more likely it will make the probelm worse...It can't do its job which is help compensate for the bass peaks which draw 50%+ more current then the mids/highs.

My opinon... have your truck put on a load machine at any good battery location. Many do this for free. See what the output, as installed, of your alternator is... then compare that to the actual fuses on each amp... I will bet in amp fuses alone, you have surpassed the alternators output... so what is left to run the truck?

There are LOTS of great alternator companies out there that sell direct replacements for all Ford vehicles. I do not recommend having them rewound for larger output, unless there simply isn't an aftermarket, puropse built alternator availble for your engine... Since I know there are up to 250amp alternators for the 4.6 & 5.4's you are in the clear.

Also look for output below 2,200 rpm... this is the real test.. who cares if the alternator makes 300 amps with the engine spinning 5,600-6,000 you don't drive there... Look for max output, rated HOT at or around 2,200 or below.

Bottom lline... you need to be looking for an alternator to get the electrical system in shape. THEN buy the cap so it can do its job of more percieved sub-bass impact.
    Last edited by 2002GreyHD150; 04-18-2003 at 11:52 AM.

Indestructible!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thank you for your insight.

I just talked to my battery guy and he is checking on some of the specs on the altenators for me.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No problem... all that time in retail trying to get kids to understand caps are not just "cool" finally goes to good use.. LOL

Glad to help.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    for flat out to find easier..

GOT BLING?
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    got it thnks