Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LFP Stage 1 vs Factory Tech Valve Body Comparison

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LFP Stage 1 vs Factory Tech Valve Body Comparison

First let me start by thanking Mark and Gregg for both offering a great product!!! This has been lots of fun doing this comparison. My 7 and 12 year old girls have also given their opinion on each of these valve body's.

The install of both of these products is straight forward if you have the correct tools. Read: a torque wrench that will do a minimum of 85 inch pounds, a large drain pan or 2, 8mm and 10mm socket, small extensions - 3 and 6 inch 3/8 drive, Mercon tranny fluid (6 to 8 quarts) depending on pan size.

And now the details:

Normal street driving:

The LFP provides much firmer shifts than the Factory Tech in
    normal type driving. Each shift is firmer and noticeable. The Factory Tech 1st to 2nd shift is firmer than 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. Both valve bodies shift much faster than the stock.

Hard downshifts from 45 mph:

The LFP valve body will flat out scare the hell out of you the first time you feel it downshift and then up shift. I wish I had a camera on Dan's03HD face the first time he felt it! He looked at me like "Holy $hit"! The Factory Tech is definitely firm, but nothing like the kick in the pants from the LFP.

From a dead stop to wide open throttle:

The Factory Tech has extremely hard 1st to 2nd shift and will leave a patch of my tire rubber on the street! The 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th are firm, but nothing like the 1st to 2nd shift. The LFP is just as extreme as the Factory Tech in the 1st to 2nd shift and
    will also leave a patch of rubber. The LFP shifts just as extreme on the 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th shift. My tires will bark with the LFP on the 2nd to 3rd shift, but will not with the Factory Tech.

Opinion:

I have now installed 3 valve body's in less than a week. The LFP stage 1 and the Factory Tech 2C in my truck. I have also installed
    a Factory Tech 2C in Dan's03HD. It would not have been an accurate comparison if I installed the LFP only in my truck and tried to compare it to Dan's Factory Tech install. Dan's truck does not shift as hard as my truck and will not bark the tires. By putting both valve body's in my truck, I feel it was the only way to do this comparison.

Recommendations:

If you want a firm shift, but not extremely hard shift in
    normal driving and like a hard 1st to 2nd shift at wide open throttle, go with the Factory Tech.

If you want normal driving shifting to be noticeable firm and all wide open throttle shifts to be extremely firm go with the LFP Stage 1.

This may boil down to an age thing. The young guy's that want a
    kick in the pants all the time, go with the LFP. The older types might like it a bit milder, so that the wife and kids don't notice, go with the Factory Tech. Or I am sure either of these companies can tailor these valve bodies to your liking. My daughters like the hard nasty shifting of the LFP. Which Valve body will I keep in my truck? I am still not sure. The kid in me liked the LFP and especially seeing Dan's face on the downshifts. The hard first gear and milder later shifts would probably appease the little lady. All I can say is that the Harley/Lightning community is very lucky to have two quality products to choose from. These valve body's are a long way from the old day's when you received a box full of springs, plates and small parts to try and improve your shifting.

Once again, thank you Mark and Gregg for the opportunity to complete an unbiased evaluation.

Please feel free to ask any questions!!!
    NHTOC # 21
    2003 10th Annv Torch Red Convertible Cobra

Predator/Runnin With The Devil
    Billetflow 2.76, idler and 4 Pulley Kit
    LFP Ported Blower
    LFP Heat Exchanger
    K&N FIPK
    LFP Brisk Plugs
    Bassani Catback/Catted X-Pipe
    LFP/Kirban Shifter
    MGW Shifter Handle
    470HP 481.5tq new KB numbers soon

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good Job Rich, It was nice chatting with you this afternoon. Kaufmans was closed when I called. HB

Name: Chris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: LFP Stage 1 vs Factory Tech Valve Body Comparison

Originally posted by Richo
    Please feel free to ask any questions!!!
    Yeah I got a question...do you ever check your e-mail???

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd love to see it. Now, I love the FTVB. Don't get me wrong. However, after riding in Richo's truck and feeling the kick in the @ss with the LFP, I wish I would have done the FTVB racing version. My truck is just a tad different. With different exhaust, it may be different as well, and adding some line pressure and some mods will probably help it give the desired result.

Richo, what's the deal? You want the harder shifts, yet I'm the one who is watching out for my wife and wanting to be slightly conservative. Hmm... somethings wrong with this!
    03 Black HD
    Born: 01/17/03 Received: 02/12/03
    Lots of billet, and bunches of mods!
    401.9/527.8 on dyno!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ayrton, yes I do read my email when I am not making long winded posts like this one.

Dan's03HD, could I be a closet conservative...naaa....Just listen to my exhaust.

One other item...at this point my truck only has the Lightning Bassani Catback installed. Dan claims this to be the reason for me waxing his A$$...cough...cough...truck this morning. That may change tommow if Dan has his way.

HB...good talking to you as well. Hope they get it to you soon.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So you want to come over and hang out with me and the two-foot terror or what?

I will show you my carbon fiber….

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Don't you read your emails???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by Richo
    Don't you read your emails???
    I hit you back a year ago.:drink:

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ooooh, You guys get me excited when you talk like that. I wish I could come over and play. HB

BLWN HOG
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great job Richo!

Now in terms of price$$$:

LFP version, WITH Deep Sum Pan, WITH proper filter = $225 +12 shipping
    FTVB, from any vendor = $225 for VB alone, $289 for VB, pan and filter- from chikenears website.
    PSP has it for $225 - but no mention if pan and filter are included.

And the million dollar question is(which is by the way directed to the vendors)

What constitutes the price difference?
    Last edited by chesterc; 05-01-2003 at 01:44 AM.
    2003 FFW-Palmdale, CA - Tough Truck Winner

2002 HD Black
    1996 Probe GT

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'll ponder that a day before i answer, but there is a reason.

G
    Last edited by Factory Tech; 05-01-2003 at 03:53 AM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Smile LFP Stage

Our Stage1 Performance VB can be tailored for those looking for a bit softer shift. Feedback has generally been mixed. Some have responded that it was to soft others to hard but most commenting it was just what the Dr. ordered.
    With so many different personalities, driving styles, and keep in mind even reaction from tranny. LFP has the job of finding middle ground. The result is our Stage1. With a request LFP can tailor your's to suit you.

Price difference. I can only speak for LFP. Our ability to purchase in large volume helps keep the cost of production down ( on our VB's), LFP also purchases our Pans and filters in bulk. Our Distr. chain has 0 links because the VB is produced exclusively for LFP. The saving goes into your pocket.
    Last edited by Lightningforce; 05-01-2003 at 05:54 AM.
    Mark

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Awesome reading Rocho. I wish it were that easy (for us anyway) to do comparisons between other products. This would be a perfect world wouldnt it?

As far as price difference goes, my guess is after seeing this write up some of the more agressive vendors will step up and get them closer to each other. I bet if you were to tell them you are considering the LFP because its cheaper, you might get the same deal.

Vendors ? It's your turn....

Click it ^

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    well, I too am reading all this with great excitement... I want one of these in my truck by WFC in 2.5 weeks.

I have not really looked into the LFP unit. Sounds llike a fine piece.

I can say that Gregg''s attitude & reputation are sterling.

Chickenears will be getting my $$ today/tomorrow... I am old & momma (with baby due 7/18) will be mad enough I went over budget again... let alone if I cause her to go into labor from a VB

--My momma always said, opinions are just like Butt-holes everyone's entitled to one, but not always entitled to show it.

Name:

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Great comparison. I "strongly" suggest you to try to test drive a truck with the FTVB racing version before you buy it. That puppy shift REALLY hard! Even just cruising. I think it is nice for track but for every day driving it would be a big pain in your back. I had it for one week (mistakenly) and all my driving was under 1500 RPM to avoid the big jumps when shifting. Now, if you don't care then go chirping all the time ;) The normal version is perfect for all time driving.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast