Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ever see a clogged intercooler ???

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ever see a clogged intercooler ???

A friend of mine came over yesterday to get the intercooler cleaned in his '00 Lightning. When we took the blower off this is the nice stuff we found inside.

Very oily intercooler with pieces of teflon that flaked off the rotors.

The underside of the blower shows the flaked off rotor pack.

The inside of the blower case. Dripping with oil.

With the intercooler removed you see the inside of the lower intake. Again, dripping oil and pieces of teflon all over the place. Even the drain back opening at the bottom is completely closed off with teflon pieces. Not good.

After 4 cans of brake cleaner and blowing it out with air we finally have a clean intercooler. There was probably a half a quart of oil in there.

The blower recieved a new set of graphite coated rotors.

This should show you the importance of running a breather cap or similar device to help relieve crankcase pressure. This truck never had a breather cap, until now. It also has 23,000 miles on it so don't think this only happens on high mileage trucks. The rotor problem was an issue on mostly '99 & '00 Lightning trucks.
    '03 H-D # 553

NHTOC # 38

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rob, I hear pro's and con's about the breather. What's your take on all this? My understanding is the main function of the breather is to prevent crankcase pressure, which puts excess oil back upstream where it shouldn't be.

If you don't run a breather, is an oil trap is enough to prevent all the excess oil?

Click it ^

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I definitely think that having a breather cap on our supercharged motors is a huge plus. Also, the air compressor type oil trap devices help a lot as well especially if you start upping the boost. As long as you have a supercharger, oil will inevitably find it's way back into the intake but having a breather cap or oil trap you will eliminate about 90 % of that ingestion.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rob,
    I seem to remember seeing a thread on NLOC that said running a breather required a reburn?
    aka LeeRandall - NHTOC #25

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Dang, that is not cool!!!! Hopefully everything will work fine and there shouldnt be anymore problems.

Supporting Vendor
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Running a brether cap does require a reburn. That is why we came out with the oil seperator kit.

I know everyone is looking for a better fix, but this litttle unit works just fine.

Just about every customer that comes into our shop gets one and now you can see why. Not only does the oil residue rob you of performance, but Robs pics show you what the oil does long term. Not a pretty site.

BLWN HOG
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    OK ... I need an oil separator kit, plus the instructions.
    Where do I get one?

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Chester,
    I'm working on putting together a dual (left/right bank) seperator set-up with auto oil return. Should know by end of week.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    could someone please explain how the breather cap, and the oil separator kit work, and what is involved in install ???
    NHTOC #16
    2002 Harley-Davidson DSG #9455
    K&N, Flowmasters, Superchips micro tuner, Home Depot Ram air, Autometer boost gauge w/steering column pod, Boost bypass, Belltech 2" shackels, Hellwig rear sway bar,T-rex black billet grille, Black 8" billet antenna, ARE hard tonnaeu w/bedrug,
    HD floormats, Tinted windows, Colgan bra w/mirror covers,
    Class III hitch

2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna Super Glide... Diamond Ice Pearl

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Breather cap replaces your oil filler cap. Minimizes crankcase pressure and oil ingestion through your intake. Does require special programming.

The oil seperator is similar to an air compressor air line oil filter. It goes in-line with the PCV system and traps all incoming oil preventing intake oil contamination. I hope Tim or Paul can post pics because I don't have any.

Either way, I HIGHLY recommand either one of these devices so your intake and intercooler doesn't end up looking like the pictures above.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by Tim@REM
    Running a brether cap does require a reburn. That is why we came out with the oil seperator kit.
    Tim, can you explain why it requires a reburn? I can see why these items are needed, but don't follow why the re-burn is required....

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A breather cap lets unmetered air into the motor. This unmetered air has to be compensated for in your chip program or you'll get a trouble code stored in your computer. Sometimes it shows up as an SES light and sometimes not but it will be there.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have an oil breather cap but does the oil seperator have an advantage over the breather?
    2002 DSG Harley Davidson F-150 #1750 born on 3/20/02
    NHTOC #58
    2.77 upper, Metco 100mm Idler, Boost by-pass, Accufab TB, Phenolic Spacer, TR6's, FTVB and 4x4 pan, AFCO heat exchanger, Factory Tech tranny cooler, LFP oil seperator, Modified JLP ram air, Bassani 2 cat midpipe, Magnaflow L catback, Predator and dyno tune by James at RWTD, Ruslow slotted & dimpled rotors w/ hawk pads, L Bilstein shocks, Hellwig front & rear sway bars, Belltech 1" drop coils, 2" rear drop shackles, Hankook 295/45's, bedrug, snuglid, CF tails, autometer ultralite boost and tranny guages.
    Sold for '03 Cobra

2005 Seadoo RXP - Riva Stage 1
    Nowhere to be found;Katrina victim

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    if I added the breather cap to an unchipped engine... any problems ???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast