Thread: Subs and amps

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Subs and amps

Please tell me what you think of my future setup... I am looking at getting 2X Audiobahn 15" Alum subs(1100w RMS each @ 3 or 12 ohm) and a single Boss "POWERDRIVE" 2-Channel High Current amp (1500wX2 @1/2 ohm)... Does this sound like a good combo? Of course this is just for the subs, the tweeters and midis are later to come, but for the time being, please give me you feedback...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well first I am going to go out on a limb & guess you are in the "younger" age bracket of the Harley owners & listen to LOTS of Rab/Dance/Trance/Electronica/Hip-Hop....

If either of those assumptions are wrong then you have missed the mark by a long shot with the items you chose.

However if I am right on the age/music style I have other questions:

What year truck are you working with? Do you plan to remove the rear seat(s)? Or are you thinking bed mounted sub enclosure? Are you getting the Boss brand amplifier for free or under $200?

The Alum 15" Audiobahn's I sort of understand from the sheer volume arguement. They are the best bang for the buck out there from a purely LOUD bass choice.

Tell us more about what your listening to (be honest), how you plan to slice/dice or cut the truck to have enough room to fit the 3+ 15" woofers. & expecially how you plan to hear anything except bass with the stock remaining stereo.

DOnt get me wrong to each his own about what & how they listen... But a lot more info is needed to help make more recommendations.

Rob W.

Name:

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Originally posted by 2002GreyHD150
    Well first I am going to go out on a limb & guess you are in the "younger" age bracket of the Harley owners & listen to LOTS of Rab/Dance/Trance/Electronica/Hip-Hop....
    What's wrong with that? I'm almost 40 and like that. Does that means I'm young??

I'm broke
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Are you getting the Boss brand amplifier for free or under $200?
    Boss amplilfiers... I haven't heard of those for a while. Where do you get them? JC Whitney? Wow, I think I would pick a Pyramid amp before one of those.

Listen man, if you're going to spend the money, try to score a decent amp off of ebay or something. We're just trying to steer you in the right direction. The best sound you will probably get with the Boss amp and 15" subs will be a very deep hum that will most likely be engine noise.

Listen to Rob, he knows what he is talking about.

David

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well you are right, i am quite younger and i do like to listen to rap/hip hop/rb... but i listen to really anything except classical music, anything with a good beat and a better 'thump'. i dont really know a whole bunch about amps and such but i do know that i like the audiobahn speakers and have actually decided to go with 4 10" subs and 2X legacy "Blue diamond" 800X2 watt amps. does this selection sound better/worse? would these amps be better/worse/equal to pyramid? give me some info on the best inexpensive good quality amp there is, i need either 2X1600+/1X3200+/4X800+ for under lets say $300 i am thinking about locating a custom enclosure in the bed with 2 subs facing directlly back in the middle, and the other 2 facing forwards inwards about 45 degrees. please give feedback, your help is greatly appreciated!

Still Around...
    Name: Ron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    IMO if your going to go thru all that of putting 4-10's in the bed and porting them in,you might as well buy good amps.Why would you want to put 4-10's in the bed and cut up your truck with some bullsh*t amps???
    Cheap amps=loudness and distortion...

Click Signature Pic For Gallery...

Lax Junkie
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How much would it run to get a box in the bed and have it ported? I like bass and the stealthbox seems like too much money for too little bass.

I feel like I am in the same ballpark as harleytruck9144.

Anyone know a range?
    2k2 DSG #10156
    nhtoc# 118

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ok... if you think the Stealth is too litle output for too much cash lets look at what it takes to make big bass output...... BIG $$$

Here is my take.... several things to factor into the cost of subs installed in the bed before even having them installed.

#1: Hard bed cover or truck cap that locks.... $500+

#2: Sound deadening..... varies figure you'll spend $300+

#3: bed rug or custom carpet kit for bed $200+

#4: extra wiring, cables, gromets etc to get everything into the bed $150-200

#5: Bigger alternator or 2nd alternator to handle the stress load figure minimum $750

So right there in 5 steps you have added almost $2,000 to your system price & you don't have any amps, speakers, or tunes yet.

Next, amplifiers.... I have an old example I used to use with customers: Lets say you got a new job working construction.... Are you buying work boots from Walmart @ $25 a pair 5 times a year & fighting blisters, broken toes, sore feet & ankles or are you going to spend the $125+ up front and take care of your body & get Dunham or Wolverine Work boots with steel toes & comfort insoles & be able to dance after work cause your feet feel so good?

I know it sounds corny, but the amplifiers are the muscle of the system. If you lack amplifier power & quality you WILL, not might, you WILL destroy or at least severly shorten the life of every component in the system. Cheap amps wear the Head Unit & speakers out faster by placing more strain on all of them.

If you truely want the mega-boom.... suffer with the stock stereo... make a plan of each component you must have & buy them one at a time working from front to back... Head unit first... because it will make the stock stuff bearable. Then get good door speakers... then good rear door speakers, then amps, then subs last. Make a plan with a budget & stick to it... Model #'s might change if it takes a year or so to get the $$ together. Otherwise the system will never be right & you'll spend more than you would have if you took your time & did it in stages.

As for a "bed box" ported into the cab... lots of questions... do you just want sound in the cab or do you want to see through to the subs? Where are you putting the amps with the port through into the cab? In the bed?

Figure the for 4-whatever size speakers will run about $300-$1,00 depending on shape & size needed. If you want plexi or other things... add more $$... the Port through or cut through is a permanent modification to the truck. many shops will have you sign a waver on a truck newer than 5 years old. The properway to do a port through is to mark the bed, cut it out, mark the corresponding cab cuts, then remove the bed completely & cut the cab.... LOTS of labor. Another concern is the seal from the bed to the cab... how will they deal with that? Figure another $75-100 just for a good quality seal.

Lots of questions to ask yourselves about a bed-box layout... it all cost big $$$... not the place for Boss, Legacy, Pyramid, Death Sound or Mad Dog brands anywhere in the system....

Rob W

Still Around...
    Name: Ron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great advice Rob.. and don't forget labor....For a big job like that your looking at some serious $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey 9144, glad to hear I haven't lost my touch for 'feeling" the age of my "customers" LOL

Seriously though.. I listen to everythign you do & classical.. so I have a bigger problem if I want bangin' bass... which I really don't but... there are those like me who do want it all..

clt2ncsu & 9144, This costs $$$$ Labor as Ron (R126) mentioned is gonna be a Biotch on this one... After you add up all the pieces to do it right... & not destroy or possibly burn the truck down... someone has to do the work I described above... not cheap...

To give you an idea, I recently did a "cut through" so you can see the subs from the cab in a Silverado.... I am no longer a full time installer, so in my own shop, with the "good neighbor discount" I charged $1,000 for the labor to JUST locat ethe box HE built, line it up... mark the cuts, cut the bed & cab, install the seal & then he did the wiring of the amps & finished the rest... I had almost 16 hours total or $55 /hr labor... that's CHEAP by today's standards... but then again, my time was spent making sure the cuts were perfect, the metal was primed & painted after the cuts, the seal was uniformly placed etc... it takes lots of time.

Rob W

Outta Sight...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree with Rob on this one as well...I have had expirience with the Audiobahn ALUM subs..In a previous life I had a Jeep Cherokee with 2 ALUM12s and an Audiobahn 2400HC amp..this was a killer combo for what I was into at the time...

I like your idea of going with 10's instead of 15's..one of the common misunderstandings in car audio is the belief that the bigger the woofer the louder the bass..there are people that will go out and buy the biggest sub they can find and the amp with the biggest number on the box...If I were doing this installation I would buy 2 of the Audiobahn ALUM10s and power them with a quality amp that will put out continuous(RMS) power that is close to the RMS power of the subs..you will be amazed at what small..properly powered subs can do for you and as an added bonus you could fit this stuff in your cab without a blow through to the bed which as has been discussed already will greatly complicate the process for you..

You said that you listen to all typed of music which is another reason to go with the 10s instead of 15s and another reason to get a quality amplifier because while those 15s may make teeth rattle with the a Nelly bass line they will never be able to keep up with the bass in rock..techno..whatever else you listen to..the 10s will slam to hiphop/rap but still keep up with the more subdued sounds of a bass guitar and drum in a rock song...

In the end you are the one that has to live with what you buy and its your budget that you are working with but please take the advice we are giving you here and dont just get a system to get a system because you will grow tired of it very quickly and end up spending the money 2x do it right the first time

Ryan

www.RTDELECTRONIX.com
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If your willing to go thru all that just remove your rear concle.(if your truck is 01/03)and install a kicker L7 solar barik with the right amp your truck will rock

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think you meant a Kicker Solo-baric L7 woofer in a custom console.... not sure with the typos

Yes I agree... for max slam but that's a good chunk of cash

Rob W.