ok...this install isnt in an HD but its in my friends Hummer

consists of

Alpine CVA1004 HU
    Alpine DHAS680 DVD/CH Changer
    2 Alpine MRDM1000 Amps
    2 Alpine MRV540 Amps
    4 Alpine Type R 10s
    Alpine TUA Something XM Tuner
    2 Optima Batteries under the hood (1 red 1 yellow)
    2 Power Acoustic 2.4 Farad Caps
    3 Sets of Alpine SPX177A Comps
    Stinger fuse blocks/dist blocks
    Over 400 ft^2 of Xtreme Dynanmat (2 layers all over 3 on the drivetrain)
    Here is my problem

The system will cut in and out apprently without rhyme or reason..

If you are sitting still and crank the system it will play fine for a few min then cut out emitting a popping from the speakers...HU and Amps never lose power the DVD Changer just resets itself and starts back at disc 1 track 1..

First thought was that it was drawing too much power (obvious) check the voltmeters and the MRDs were dipping down towards low 11s high 10s too low i know so thats problem one solved

The REALLY puzzling part and the part that is ticking me off is that even with just the radio playin at low volume with NO SUBS it cuts off CONSTANTLY like we are talkin every 30sec or so when you are MOVING..same symptoms as the power loss almost like the amps are in protection mode or something..

Second thought...must be a loose wire (obvious) removed the HU while it was being driven and shook/tugged on all wires...same with the DVD Player and Amps and Cap and everything that i could shake including dist blocks fuse blocks and ground blocks...couldnt duplicate the problem..seems like it only does it when it wants too...every now and then it will play just fine for 20-30 minutes then start its routine again

I am usually able to work through problems myself but this one has me and everyone i know totally stumped...I have ordered two more Optima Yellow tops to see if I can solve the power loss problem but as far as the system cuttin off while underway even at low volume i am totally baffled...the voltmeters on the amps read too low when the system is cranked and it cuts off so it definitely needs more power but when you are movin they cut off at 13-14 volts too...any ideas? anyone?

These are the possibilities that I have come up with and will test tomorrow

There is a bad ground somewhere (not consistent with the Headunit and amps not losing power though because they all ground int he same place)

The Dvd player has a loose connection that I missed even when i shook it (PLEASE let that be it)

The ground has a fuse in it at the dist block..maybe this shouldnt be fused although i have always fused my grounds even tho there is very little reason to do so...but its always something that my friend who runs a shop pokes fun at me for...

The amperage of the fuses is either too much or too little for the amp setup..although again its not something that can be consistently caused unless you crank it too full volume

The DVD Player is shot...please dear god no..this thing costs like a grand

This whole deal is totally baffling me...this system absolutely SCREAMS im talkin ear bleedin loud but it does no good to have it cut off constantly...maybe this hummer just has a gremlin in it but i really would love any input anyone has before i tear the whole thing about and start over ;c ;c

non supercharged member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    sounds like a cold solder joint problem.

I used to fix home audio stuff and had a very large amp that would cut in and out, come to find out it was a cold solder joint on the main board, found it by flexing the main board, seemed like it took forever to figure out, but once I did, the thing worked like a champ!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Too much draw on the turn on lead.....It will cut amps off intermittenly...Since you have a low voltage problem already,the turn on will be too low too...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    does it do this with the Hummer running or when its off? Drving or just while sitting still?

Hummer's OEM alternator is 150amps I think.. the MRD1000s alone at a good volume would drain the battery quickly.

It sounds like you are simply draining the battery to the point the amps are sucking the juice away from everything else... that's alot of amplifier power for a stock charging system.

Get a fresh cold beverage of your choice & read this:

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthr...highlight=caps

I would bet that with the truck running at idle at stop light after dark the dash lights pulse with the music/bass...

Rob W.

Outta Sight...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rob

thanks for the reply

it happens when its running and on the road...and while sitting still..more while running than while sitting still as i said in my post..and i agreed that it was mostly power loss but that doesnt explain why it would cut off even at almost silent volume..like volume level 2...i know that the amps draw alot under load when the system is cranked....but not while its barely even on...i know about lights flashing and such from alternator draw...i have been doing car stereo work on the side for a few years....im just puzzled by this because its not like current drawing problems i have had before because it will cut off even when not turned up loud and when u are sitting still idling (when the alternator is putting out minimal amperage) it doesnt cut off at all unless u crank it WAY up..but when you are driving it will just cut on and off at any volume when the truck is pullin more RPM and therefore more power fom the alternator....unless there is something in the hummer that is drawing alot of power underway i cant think of anything that could explain it...

we ordered 2 more Optimas for the back today so we will see if that fixes the problems

i appreciate all the help with this

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Have someone ride near the amps & watch for the Alpine Red/Orange/Amber protection lights... you may have a voice coil or wire swinging when in motion that is shorting the amp into protection..

Now that I reread the 2 posts you made, the other guy's comment about cold solder joint makes sense too.. if the cold solder is faulty it could trip the short circuit protection too..

Look for the default lights while drving.

Always remember the more batteries you add is like adding more amplifiers that the alternator has to fight to charge... more batteries rarely solves any current problem.

Rob W.