Thread: Pulley Install Help Needed!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pulley Install Help Needed!

i did a search and found what i need, just dont know where to find this. for taking the stock lower pulley off, you need a "hex head socket" which i do not have. i rode up to LOWES and told him what it was and he said he had never heard of this. i too looked around and could not see this? whats the deal, where would this be located in a hardware store? what will it be named?

also, i drove around with the supercharger belt off (they said it was safe at low RPMs) and my engine was popping BAD, is this ok? i wasnt giving it much gas at all. TIA!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    for taking the stock lower pulley off, you need a "hex head socket" which i do not have.... ...whats the deal, where would this be located in a hardware store? what will it be named?
    It is a very large "allen head" bolt... 14 mm to be exact.

You will HAVE to buy a socket for a 1/2" drive breaker bar or torque wrench... I don't think they make a allen wrench that big... :P You also need the breaker bar or wrench because it will take 100+ foot pounds of torque to break it loose.

I weanied out, and took mine to a mechanic friend to get the pulley off... Of course I wound up doing a LOT of the work myself...

Mac tools has them, and Snap-On tools too... Anyone know if Craftsman has one in 14mm?

Serving Proudly!!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i don't know why your truck is popping. that sounds like detonation but it shouldn't be. i've been running mine with the supercharger belt off for over a month waiting on my JLP tune to come through. knock on wood, i haven't had any problems with mine yet. i can tell you it won't go faster than 110 with the belt off though. you should be able to run as hard as you want to because with the belt off you are just like a 00-01.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    well after searching all day (literally from 1 to 7) i finally went to NAPA and they had a 14mm allen, not a hex socket. i am cutting this down to put into a 14mm socket and hoping this will work! many people have told me snap-on or mac tools, but the problem is trying to find a truck, especially in the late afternoon on a friday.
    p.s. Inf4life, are you sure that it is ok to be doing 110 on your truck without the belt? although it is just a N/A 5.4L engine now, you have a lot of vacuum being created due to the little amount of air being drawn through the stationary supercharger. i know i was taking it VERY easy today and still worried even then.

Serving Proudly!!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    so far i have seen no problems. it still picks up pretty well. hell, i chirp second even better now than with the sc on. hopefully when i get my tune and put the belt back on i'll see whats up.