Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brake replacement 101

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Brake replacement 101

Ok guys I know this is a pretty simple task, but I did it 2x today (02 DSG and 03 BLK) and had a few tips, and if anyone is thinking about having someone else do it. It’s a pretty simple task

Tools required

Sockets
    10mm
    13mm
    15mm
    18mm
    21mm
    and 27mm

Impact or large handle
    Large C clamp
    High temp bearing grease
    Flat Head screwdriver
    Needle nose pliers
    Brake Cleaner
    WD40
    Hammer

Optional
    New Wheel bearings or the tool to pack the grease in the bearings, the twin plastic circles (or your hands smell like bearing grease, like mine)

And new pads and rotors (at least have the rotors turned)

I used slotted, dimpled, zinc washed rotors
    And Hawk HPS pads

Ok here we go; back first it’s much easier...

Jack and support truck
    Take off wheels (loosen on ground if you have no impact)
    Remove the 2 10mm bolts that are holding the caliper on, they aren’t super tight
    Remove the caliper by lifting up and it comes out of its slot.
    Remove the outer pad first with a flat head screwdriver releasing the pins and lift up.
    Remove the inner pad, just pulls out.
    Now put WD 40 on the center of the rotor
    Next remove the brake rotor, nothing accept the center likes to rust into the rotor, i used a little impact calibration (hammer) and pulling on it... Hit in the middle of the rotor around the rusty axle part, and it will break free and yank it off.
    Now put the new rotor on make sure it’s all the way on
    Take your old pad, put it on the caliper side and take your C clamp and bottom out the piston, also watch the level of your brake fluid, its easier to turn if you take the top off your master cylinder reservoir.
    Load the new pads in
    Put the caliper on the rotor
    Line up the 2 10mm bolts and tighten down, not too tight, it wasn’t that hard to get off.

Now the front.
    Jack up the front and take off the wheels
    The fronts have 4 bolts on each caliper.
    Take off the 2 13mm (im 99.99% sure might be 15) 1st that will get the caliper off and you can pull that and put it out of the way, I put it on an extra jack stand, its connected via brake like, DO NOT let it hang
    Then take off the caliper mounting bracket, that’s 18mm, 2 bolts, caliper bracket will come off
    Now remove the dust cover from the wheel bearing with a hammer and a flathead screwdriver, be careful no to hammer too hard, just get in-between the hub and the cover, and pry it off
    Now bend the cotter pin with needle nose pliers and pull off.
    Remove the cotter pin retaining cover off
    Remove the 27mm nut from the middle.
    Remove the front wheel bearing by just starting to remove the rotor, the bearing and the retaining plate.
    Put the 27mm back on and pull the rotor down and out at the same time. the rear bearing should hang up on the nut and off the rotor.
    Time to pack the bearings, I chose the backyard style install, take bearing grease in your hand, and work it into the bearing by little by little putting the sides into grease and hit it on your hand, forcing the grease up to the top, you should do this till you see new grease on both inner and outer. Its fun.
    Now take the back bearing, put it in the back of the new rotor
    followed by the back retaining plate, and give it a careful hammer into place, don’t bend the back backing plate, just get it into place
    Put the rotor into place on the truck on the spindle.
    Install front bearing followed by retaining plate
    Then the 27mm Nut, hand tight. Put about 15ft-LBS of tq on that bolt, not a lot. Then spin the new rotor freely, it should spin nice
    then the coder pin retainer followed by the coder pin, and bend it back W needle nose.
    Install dust shield with a hammer again, make sure its centered
    Put on caliper bracket 18mm bolts, TIGHT, if you have an impact use it, turn the wheel so you have room.
    Next put the pads on the rotor in the caliper bracket. The rattler goes on the outside, other pad on the inside.
    Now take the C clamp and press in the pistons with your old pad, till their all the way in.
    The caliper should slide over the new pads and right into the caliper bracket.
    Now take the 13mm and put those 2 bolts in pretty tight, its a little tricky lining up the bolts, just take your time.

And then get the cover back on the master cylinder reservoir if you took it off.

Reinstall wheels
    Pump the brakes before driving to make sure you have pedal pressure.
    And you should be good to go.

The combo of the pads and rotors I got.. SWEET, nice feel great stopping, just sweet.

Ill post pics of the final product, I just gotta paint my calipers they look like crap now. it looks sweet.

I think thats about it

Cam Slammin
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sweet, thanks Bigbill for the brake info!!!

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by onebadf150
    Sweet, thanks Bigbill for the brake info!!!
    DITTO.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It is here in several other threads, however nicely done.
    IN MEMORY OF
    Blake (Fuzion) Finnel 12-3-1986 - 08-11-2007
    NHTOC #120

T888 Recall
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sounds like my "Brake Changin Kit"..

I've done it so many times, I just keep all the stuff together.

I even have Torqs heads for GM brakes.. LOL

-Good write up!

-Del

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yea I figured I would post it up.

Did the GF's 03 and 1 friends DSG, and the other friend did it 1 day before.

My friend did it on his truck by him self in 3 hours.

We did my other friends 02 in about 2.5

And we did my GF's truck in about 1-1.5 hours.. and misc cleanup.

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    For the MECHANICALLY-challenged like me...pictures added to the awesome HOW-TO above will be priceless.

Hi, I am KROMDOM and I am a PLASTIC mechanic!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well I gotta paint the calipers, so ill take pics of everything and that should help. gonna do that probably tonight or tuesday night.

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by BigBill
    Well I gotta paint the calipers, so ill take pics of everything and that should help. gonna do that probably tonight or tuesday night.
    TIA, man!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well no luck on caliper paint, i ordered it online yesterday it should arive on thursday and I will take some pics then...

I dident forget about it...

Procharged
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well i was one of the guys in on the rotorpros GB. And i love them exept for the fact that when i put them on front/rear yesterday it was fine until they got a lil hot. (about 5 min worth of fast driving and stoping) Then i lost pedal pressure and was barely able to get home. What could be my problem i really need help guys.

Will
    Daily driver: 2001 Mustang Cobra- Eibach suspension, Tokico struts, Maximum motorsports full length subframes, 4.10 gears, MGW short throw shifter, JLT cold air intake, Bassani X-pipe, Bassani Catbak, full sound system

Project ride: 2000 Harley truck- Belltech 4/6 drop, custom 5 point rollcage, ATI procharged, custom built (billet) blower bracket, polished P1SC, custom built kooks longtubes, custom built 3in Xpipe, black MB motoring 22's, 42# fuel injectors, 90mm MAF, 255lph intank pump, 3.73 gears, built tranny w/ PI stall, full show sound system

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    They may sound dumb but did you get air in the lines.

Procharged
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How would air have got in the lines unless i broke the line loose. I never broke the line or opened the fluid resevior. Could it just be the pads. I just bought direct replacement pads instead of upgrading. Do ya'll think i should upgrade, if so what brand and where can i get them. Im desperate this thing stoped alot better then this stock.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Some people crack open the bleeders when doing brakes. Pads ( new ) wont make your pedal go to the floor or cause you to lose pedal pressure,,,,,,

Procharged
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So what can i do now to regain the pedal pressure. I have to push it halfway to even get anything from it and when i lock it up hardly anything happens. What could it be?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast