Thread: Recent Xenarc HID issue Fix

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thumbs up Recent Xenarc HID issue Fix

Well,

I finally went and took a look at my second set of Xenarc HIDs after the recent complaints of the connector on the Passenger side not wanting to fit. As my first pair, that I installed in the Harley installed with out any issues I had to look at the second set. Well low and behold guess what? the Harness did not want to connect up to the drivers side light!!

OK now some of you went to the extreme of Cutting and dremeling (SP?) the connector on the wiring harness or the connector on the light or even both in order to get them to fit. I stood back and took a long look at them and asked myself what did not look right. I compared the connector on the one good light to the connector on the other light. HMMMMM, AHHHHHHHHH!

The connector on the light that would not seat properly with the wiring harness!!! It was not seated properly in the light housing. The connector in the light harness has two compression clips, one on each side. Pointed out below..by the screw driver tip. There is another one on the other side.

Instead of taking the black outer housing cover off, I just used a set of needle nose pliers, grabbed the connector and gave it a tug. This pulled the connector back up into the housing, engaging the two clips and locking it into place on the housing.

Test fitted the wiring harness and everything was right as rain. No cutting, no dremeling. Quick and easy fix for me. Not sure if this is the same issue that everyone else was having but worth taking a look at before you go Ballz to the Wall and start hacking and cutting stuff up.
    Last edited by bgstew6; 10-25-2007 at 06:46 AM.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Now if you want to, you can take the black back housing off by removing the 4 - 7mm bolts. But I do not think that it is necessary. Just seems like that one connector on the housing was not seated properly, locking it in place from the factory.

If you take off the housing you can see what is involved if you ever have to replace the bulbs in yours.

I will most likely get around to doing a HOW TO for changing the bulbs since I have a spare set lying around and will find the parts numbers for the two replacement bulbs.
    Last edited by bgstew6; 05-13-2005 at 12:32 AM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nice how too....
    IN MEMORY OF
    Blake (Fuzion) Finnel 12-3-1986 - 08-11-2007
    NHTOC #120

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I had the same issue! My clip is broken tho. Also, I have a set of FINGERPRINTS in my DS light. I will be calling about this soon. To much $$ for this...
    --------------------
    -Mike K.
    1988 Mustang GT T-64E
    2004 Silver Lightning

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Yesterday I spent 2 hours changing mine and trying to figure out what the heck was going on with my passenger side Xenarc light before giving up and putting back in my stock ones. Thank god for the search facility here! Dayum Stew, glad you found this, I'm gonna go back outside now and give this a try. I sure hope this fixs mine. BTW...I couldn't find my instructions so I clipped the drivers side section of the wiring harness to the top of my radiator and ran it under the rad brackets, what did you guys mount your balasts to?

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ballasts are in the headlight fixture. All you need to do is run power and ground to the harness, plug in the stock connectors, and plug in the new Xenarcs

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    i think he's referring to the little box type thing with the clip on it.
    not exactly sure what part it is, but i know what you're talking about. i just clipped mine to the radiator core support where there were holes big enough to slide the clips into

Whew!....well at least their in now.
    Tried Stew's tip but that was not enough. Had to get out the dremel and take about 3/16" off the clip side of the light housing for the plug to slide in far enough to make good contact. Seems like mine are missing the clip to hold the plug secure so I also used some silicone. Hope that holds it okay. I'll know better what it looks like after it gets dark and I can drive it to see how bright they are but I don't feel real proud of this mod right now. Kinda of a schitty way to do an install on a $30k+ truck.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Especially when the HIDs are so much $$. I got the Ford headlight alignment tool from a CarQuest here. Makes aiming them REALLY easy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sorry it did not work for Cayman, like I said int he first post.

"Not sure if this is the same issue that everyone else was having but worth taking a look at before you go Ballz to the Wall and start hacking and cutting stuff up."

I guess that I was one of the lucky ones that did not have broken clips.

I pulled the Radiator Shroud off and ran my wire under there and zip tied it to an existing wiring harnes that was already there. Oh and that Relay clip thingy I jsut hooked it onto that big hole on the passenger side like H356.

Thanks Stew. I thought your trick was gonna work but evrey time I tried to push in the plug the whole receptacle would push up inside the housing. I even went as far as taking off the rear light housing with those four 7mm screws and trying to hold it and make it snap in on the one clip but no luck. I only had to remove a little of the plastic and then I got a good enough connection that the light came on. I read where Bill said to use some silicone to hold it in but I don't like the idea of having to do that on my truck. I guess with the Xenarcs so hard to find now that's my only choice. They're really bright though!...Just gotta figure out what to use to aim them now? God I hope I don't have to pull them out again. It's a real PITA to get those little side dealies lined up and slid in properly.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No u dont have to pull them to aim them. They need to stay in.

Installation and aiming instructions here.

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...structions.htm

Oh and you will need a head light adjustment wrench.

I had measured the original settings on the stockers and transposed them to the Xenarcs before installing and it damn near got me dead on.
    Last edited by bgstew6; 06-19-2005 at 09:11 PM.