Thread: Transporting your ride across country

Regular user (I eat bran)
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Transporting your ride across country

OK, this doesn't involve a wrench, but it is still a "How To"

I moved a truck from Carolina to Vegas...thought this would help others contemplating the same idea

Which company to use?
    - all transport companies use the same pool of drivers! The rate you are quoted differs only because of the broker markup.
    - There is a web site that will farm out your quote to several brokers at once. I submitted the form, and got responses from about a dozen brokers. (URL will be posted)

What about damage?
    - insurance usually covers any damage the driver may do, but not "Acts of God". This includes damaging weather...like hail. So, if they roll the rig over, you're pretty much covered. If hail hits, you have to go through your own insurance company
    - most brokers have a $0 deductible that is included in the price of the transport.
    - before the car is loaded on the transport, the truck driver will go over the vehicle and mark any scratches, dings, etc that he sees. Make sure you get a copy of this. When you recieve the vehicle, go over it and make certain there are no new problems. This is usually the ONLY time you can make a claim. Once you sign that Bill of Lading, you own the car and any damage you didn't see.

Open transport vs. covered?
    - to avoid all the worries of weather, you can use a covered transport. The one I used had thick vinyl/canvas sides that kept the cars 100% dry and safe
    - It's usually about $500 more...but check around.

Costs
    - From Carolina to Vegas, the best price I got was $1000. Seattle to Miami will be maybe $1200
    - multiple cars will save you a bit. One of the NHTOC folks got a quote for 2 cars, Seattle to Miami at $2200
    - Gas is directly affecting these rates...so shop around
    - some sites require a deposit that is conditionally refundable. If you cancel the order before a truck is assigned, you get all your money back. If a truck has been assigned, you get nothing. The angle here is that the trucker may have already headed out to get your vehicle, and spent time/gas/etc on your order...so you are out of luck. My order was $150 up front, the rest I paid COD using a cashiers check
    - Verify with the shipping company what the driver wants in the form of payment. If you do a cashier's check, some want it made out to the company name, some want it in the driver's personal name (they cash it and use it for fuel, etc...which they can't do if it's made out to the company)
    - Some require nothing up front. These companies seemed to charge more overall for the transport though

Pickup and delivery times
    - Once you agree to all the terms, you tell the broker when the vehicle can be picked up. You should give them a week to 10 days lead time to find a trucker and get it scheduled.
    - You cannot put items in the car to transport it. It's a weight issue...and you don't want your valuables in the backseat anyway.
    - Once the vehicle is en route, you get a window of about 48 hours when it will be delivered. It depends on the other stops the truck is making. Usually, the truck driver calls you directly about 10-24 hours out to get directions and let you know where he is and estimate an hour of arrival.
    - some agencies will do rush orders...but be prepared to pay double to have it expedited!!

I hope that helps. If you have questions, let me know and I can add it on here.

Here is the list of times I went through so you see how long everything took for me.
    June 10 - submitted the online form to get quotes
    June 13 - formally placed the order and paid the deposit. Told them the truck would be ready on June 21th, but I didn't want delivery until June 27 (I was on vacation the week of the 20th)
    June 19 - got email stating a trucker was assigned and it would be about 5 days before he got to pickup location
    June 23 - trucker called dealer and stated he would get the truck on the 25th
    June 25 - truck picked up in No Carolina - I was called told to expect a 4-6 day delivery
    June 27 - called company to get a status...they contacted the trucker, who called me and told me it would be 2 days.
    June 28 - trucker called mid day to let me know he was one state away and would be out in the morning.
    June 29 - got a call at 8am form trucker - gave him directions. He showed up at 10am.
    ...could not have gone smoother...I'm 100% satisfied
    Last edited by kspence; 07-06-2005 at 01:10 PM.
    Kevin in Vegas

2003 Black HD #3000
    1972 Mustang Convertible ... 351C CJ 11:1 4V 4-speed ...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Vinyl/canvas sided delivery...total hail/damage protection
    The ONLY way to go!! will post a few pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ...here you can see the rear fiberglass cap that encloses the rear of the truck...and my ride is about to touch down on a Nevada road for the first time
    Attached Images Attached Images

Who Dat is
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sweet

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thats awesome man! too cool!!

shenanigans
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    good info, truck looks awesome

My Screename doesn't work
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    can't get any better than that, truck looks awesome

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    you all keep saying the truck looks awesome...WHICH ONE?

Mine...or the transport?

Who Dat is
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Uh..the transport, duh.

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    pix with the fiberglass end open: some kind of "childbirth" for your truck with you as the proud and expectant daddy

2002 HD Owner
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Central Valley Auto Transport

I used to work as a Used car buyer for Carmax. I used these guys for transport anywhere from Seattle, California, Colorado, and Texas. They will probably give you a better rate than most because you can eliminate the broker. Brokers make at least a 200% to 300% mark up. The price quoted previously for California to Vegas for $1000, I used to haul from Sacramento to Vegas for about $225 to $250 per unit. They will charge you more because it is only 1 or 2 vehicles but still alot less than a $1000. These prices were from 2005 to 2007. They are based in the Central Valley of California and can broker to other places east of texas. They proably won't mark it up as much as others also. Look them up on the web, their offices are in Porterville, CA.

Rumblin Bumblin Stumblin
    Name:

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    thanks a lot for that!! you did a great job!

"Fuzion" 1986-2007 R.I.P.
    Name: Troy

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Great write up! Thanks. Nice truck! (yours, LOL)