Thread: New LFP Extreme Duty Radiator Installed *Pics!*

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Cool New LFP Extreme Duty Radiator Installed *Pics!*

well i needed a new radiator with my s/c drivetrain swap, since I didnt want to run my stock N/A single core one, so figured might as well upgrade past stock if i'm getting a new one anyway.

i'm not sure all the specs on it, increased capacity, etc., so I'll wait for Mark to post that up. I think i'm the 1st to get one though so figured i'd post pics and instructions since Mark hasnt gotten any printed up yet. (You're more than welcome btw Mark to use any of these pics for printing up instructions, and if you need any other angles/shots let me know). Easy install, but a few little tips to make it go even easier for ya

Shot of the back gave it a quick polish with some never dull. if it wasnt totally hidden between the AC condensor and fan shroud i would have hit it with the dremel to polish it up like a mirror, lol.

Shot of the front too bad the damn AC condensor is in front of this. cant see the nice aluminum bling and LFP logo through the grille cuz the AC condensor

All the welds look perfect! very nice quality!

Before you drop it in, take the trans fluid cooler/heater adaptor fittings off your old radiator and screw them into the new one. I almost shat myself when i went to put the trans line in the radiator and it slipped right in then i saw the adaptor fittings on the stock radiator. Some new teflon tape, and pop them right in the LFP extreme duty radiator. 27mm socket

in this pic the top one is already removed, bottom one is still in...

The only spot i had to trim on the E-fan shroud was the lower passenger side corner. it sat right next to the edge of the pet**** drain plug. you dont have to even trim this much off, but i wanted to make sure i could easy fit my fingers in there to loosen the drain plug up for whenever i flush the fluid out.

Ugly AC Condensor blocking the LFP radiator bling

I believe this one is a little thicker than the stock s/c L/HD one. I couldnt measure because my stock one was a N/A single core. if somebody can measure their stock double core i'll measure this for a comparison, unless Mark has the dimensions handy

Its a TIGHT squeeze, but it fits. I had to take the s/c idler bracket off to have room to drop the fan in, but it dropped right into place. I'll get a pic later of the waterpump to fan case clearance, but with a navi pump there's PLENTY of room. for refrence on other pumps, from the face of the water pump pulley to the back side of the fan case is roughly 3". from the nose of the water pump itself (navi pump) to the fan case is like 2" to 2.25" roughly. Not sure if a stock L water pump will fit or not, but a navi pump is pretty cheap, aluminum so its lighter than stock, no ugly long snout sticking out so it looks nicer, and improved shielded impellers for better flow over the earlier model L pumps and bigger impellers than the cobra pumps.

Pic of the radiator and e-fan in. if i didnt have a DGM carbon fiber radiator shroud i wouldnt even put one back on, and polish that top edge of the radiator cuz it looks so purdy!

ignore the loose wires and unpainted plenum, etc. drivetrain swap is still a work in progress. 5 months down, hopefully 1-2 more weeks to go

i'll get more up close pics tonight, and edit this post as more of a how-to on each step

PS...Mark...dont forget my temp sender for the e-fan! Wanna get it filled with fluids, and fire it up next week I've got a SW water temp gauge so i'll post up average engine temps and cooldown times with the new radiator when its up and running

And thanks again to Mark and LFP for getting me the extreme duty radiator out to me before they even officially hit production!

M.HYDE: 2000 HD F-150 #0356 of 8197, Built 05/18/00, Bought 07/03/00, 700/784, 09.89@138.78
    *Worlds Fastest Street HD: '08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13****Worlds Fastest Eaton Powered HD: 12.19@112.48 11/17/07*
    D.JEKL: 2000 HD F-150 #1552 of 8197, Built 06/20/00, Bought 06/25/09, 372/450, 13.75@099.46 (*SOLD* 10/15/11)
    REPTAR: 2012 SVTF-150 #2893 of ????, Built 01/19/12, Bought 08/26/11, ???/???, 14.93@091.30
    HASTIE: 2011 GT Mustang 5.0 6-Speed, Built 10/29/10, Bought 11/11/10, 392/352, 12.00@117.79 (*SOLD* 05/14/13)
    BADGER: 2013 Explorer Sport 3.5L TT, Built ??/??/??, Bought 05/14/13, ???/???, 14.53@096.25
    GEN.0L: 1985 XL F-150 w/'94 Lightning Donor Engine Swap, Holley Projection EFI, 03 HD Paint

T888 Recall
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Looks like a dual 1" core. Like you need all that cooling capacity up north. Your truck will barely read 180 degrees in the summertime with the A/C running full blast.

Looks sweet though.. LOL

-Del

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    lol yeah it may be overkill, but like i said, why go stock when i can go aftermarket if i've gotta buy it anyway may not make a dime worth of difference in the 1/4 or on the dyno, but i didnt get it for that. the dreaded 356 virus inhibits my ability to buy a stock part when i can buy an aftermarket one LoL!

jersey does get hot as SHAT though in the summer. aint that far up north truck boiled over on me once waiting in the entry lines at Etown in 100+ degree weather about 2 years ago. my efan harness was the early type and shorted out, less than a minute later smoke was pouring out through the hood scoops! haha

i've got a SW temp gauge so if i see the engine cant reach the temps it needs to, i can always swap my 170* t-stat up for a 180 or whatever need be.

and while i'm posting pics....the reason the keystone is going bye-bye this saturday (to a local 00 HD guy!) and the harwood 3" cowl will be arriving any day now....

whoopsie's she's popping out the top of her fenders! :AnglDevl:

and dont mind the CRAPPY looking paint! those 1000 watt halogens make even brand new paint look like SH!TTTT shows every defect and then some lol. plus my poor baby hasnt been washed or zainoed in 6 months
    Last edited by Harley#356; 03-14-2006 at 10:15 AM.

T888 Recall
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yep, I overheated my V8 equipped Mazda B2000 a couple times until I dropped a Griffin dual core in there. She ran COOL after that.... Well worth the money to prevent grillin your engine..

-Del

Gone but never forgotten
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    looking sweet josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Delmustator
    Yep, I overheated my V8 equipped Mazda B2000 a couple times until I dropped a Griffin dual core in there. She ran COOL after that.... Well worth the money to prevent grillin your engine..

-Del
    although if i warped the heads i'd HAVE to get some ported stage III's and some cams ah screw it i dont need an excuse like that. haha, i'll get some eventually anyway! haha

Supercharged '01
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    hmmm. I didn't realize the radiators are different. Thanks Josh. Now, I have something else I may have to buy. LOL

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    i'm not sure if the double core radiator was part of the s/c engine package, or the 4R100 & tow package, but i'm thinking it was part of the dealio if your truck had the towing package with the 4R100 then it also got the bigger radiator. so there's a good chance you may already be set to go.

easy enough to tell, take off the radiator shroud and if your radiator is only like 3/4" thick then you got the single core, if its like 1.5-2" thick then you got the dual core. its not a needed mod for going s/c, i know madferrari ran his stock single core radiator for a while in his truck at 1st with no problems at all, but i just figured i've come all this way trying to upgrade everything to OEM s/c truck spec or better, so might as well do the radiator too.

plus my radiator trans cooler has gotta be filled with metal shavings tranny fluid milkshake dont wanna risk any of that crap getting into the new trans. got new trans lines & aux cooler as well for the truck

Fast with Class
    Name: Tony

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

sweet

what was the cost set back on the radiator??

T

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    i believe it was 359 and free shipping for the 1st month. I'm not sure if they are in full production yet, this was still a pre-production one incase any tweaks had to be made to it, but it bolted right in no problemo other than the slight fan shroud trim for the drain plug which is no big deal at all.

figure heat exchanges go for what 330? so 30 more bucks for the giant azz radiator isnt too bad

Down Under
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Dude.........I want to see this thing smoking some tyres when this is all done. Since the last time you drove it with a stuffed tranny to the first time you drive it out of this shed all sweet & blown you are gona have a rock hard chubby like Michael Jackson on a school camp.

My Screename doesn't work
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    LOL HD DUDE

Looking very awesome!