Thread: How To: Replace the S/C Belt

T888 Recall
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How To: Replace the S/C Belt

How To: Replace the S/C Belt

This procedure is VERY EASY as long as you have (2) things.
    1- A 1/2 inch drive wrachet or breaker bar.
    2- The CORRECT belt for your application.

STEPS

So you need to change the supercharger belt.

1- Grab a 1/2 inch wrachet or breaker bar of your choice.

Using the wrachet, insert it into the belt tensioner. To release the tension on the belt, you need to press clockwise (downward) until you can slip the belt off the supercharger pully.

2- Pull out your NEW supercharger belt and compare them for length and part numbers. In some cases (i.e. if you have larger or smaller pullies installed), the belts can be longer or shorter than the one being replaced. Use the information found on the NHTOC website as a guide to the correct belt.

In my case, running a 6lb lower pully, the OLD belt was slightly longer than the NEW belt. However the belt tensioner will take up the slack as long as it's NOT TOO short or TOO long.

3- Getting the belt around the tensioner pully can be interesting. But there is just enough space between the pully and the aluminum bracket for it too slid between it flat. Note the way the old pully pattern flows and remove the old belt and insert the new belt around the pullies in the same pattern.

Installing the belt will require you to apply pressure to the belt tensioner while you slip the new belt into place around the pullies. You should have the belt in place with only the supercharger left to clear before applying pressure to make it easy.

Make sure that the belt is secure and straight or it could jump the pullies and/or damage something.

All Done!

Now you have a spare belt (NOT!)....

Inspect the old belt ribs and you will see why it needs to be changed from time to time. Cracks in the rubber and possibly threads showing. I would only use the old belt in an emergency to get me to a dealer where I could purchase a new one should I loose the supercharger belt for some reason. Some folks have run their trucks without the supercharger belt on for short period of time also.

-Del
    Last edited by Delmustator; 04-04-2006 at 05:51 AM.