Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The 22" Factory Reproduction Conclusion

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The 22" Factory Reproduction Conclusion

If you have not followed the whole thread but are interested,.. here is the summary of the FR wheels of what works & what doesn't. A special thanks to Tazz (Mark) for expiditing a new 01 cap to me at a great deal. http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showpos...8&postcount=64

BBU
    Last edited by Blu Buy U; 03-12-2007 at 10:16 PM.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    So give him a call back and educate him? ... if he/they want more business?! ...

Work In Progress
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    what about the 02/03 center caps? they look a little different than the 00/01center caps pictured. Not 100% sure but they have more tabs than those in the pictures.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Grey
    what about the 02/03 center caps? they look a little different than the 00/01center caps pictured. Not 100% sure but they have more tabs than those in the pictures.
    Unless Ford changed the wheel design (which I doubt) between the 00-01 & 02-03 model years, they should work fine.

Work In Progress
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    dug out my spares and compared it too the pics. The 00/01 and 02/03 are different. There are curved pieces between each clip and also three in the middle in a triangle formation. Just putting it out there in case they don't fit the FR's.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Grey
    dug out my spares and compared it too the pics. The 00/01 and 02/03 are different. There are curved pieces between each clip and also three in the middle in a triangle formation. Just putting it out there in case they don't fit the FR's.
    How about posting a pic of the back of the caps to show the differences?

Always working
    Name: Big John

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I think most of these wheels and caps are copies of the 00-01s. on my Detroit's their cap is identical to an 00-01 OEM cap from the back and its a perfect fit, my 03 caps were loose and didnt fit flush to the wheel, really close but not perfect.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TX Harley Guy
    I think most of these wheels and caps are copies of the 00-01s. on my Detroit's their cap is identical to an 00-01 OEM cap from the back and its a perfect fit, my 03 caps were loose and didnt fit flush to the wheel, really close but not perfect.
    Tx, so what are you running with your reps? Oops! Saw you earlier post. 00-01 cap,... right? When I get your 03 cap I'll check it out on the FR's & see what's up,... thanks.
    Last edited by Blu Buy U; 03-13-2007 at 09:56 PM.

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Im lost?
    On a stock OEM wheel from 00-03 both OEM wheel caps no matter what the year wheel cap 00-01 or 02-03 are interchangeable even though the caps have a bit a a different design.
    On a Reproduction wheel both caps Should fit as long as the caps the Reproduction wheels are of the same 2 designs as the OEM wheel caps. If wheel caps that come with the Repo wheels are the same as a OEM wheel cap and does not fit then the repo wheel doesn't have the same lip/ridge as the Stock OEM wheel.
    FYI
    The Stock 00-01 center caps do fit a bit more snug that the stock 02-03 wheel caps but never had wheels caps from either my 01 or 03 HD fly off and I've been 125mph in my 01 HD and 145mph in my 03HD. So it still comes down to the lip/ridge on the repo wheels as to wheather the both style of caps will fit properly.
    Tazz
    Last edited by Tazz; 03-13-2007 at 10:45 PM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz
    Im lost?
    On a stock OEM wheel from 00-03 both OEM wheel caps no matter what the year wheel cap 00-01 or 02-03 are interchangeable even though the caps have a bit a a different design.
    On a Reproduction wheel both caps Should fit as long as the caps the Reproduction wheels are of the same 2 designs as the OEM wheel caps. If wheel caps that come with the Repo wheels are the same as a OEM wheel cap and does not fit then the repo wheel doesn't have the same lip/ridge as the Stock OEM wheel.
    Tazz
    I'm a bit confused too Mark. Here is link to Big Bill @ Spray It Racing. http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthr...-03+Centercaps
    He was offering 02-03 Caps & has front & back Pic's. Those little Half moons would have to be removed (I think) to fit my wheels. But otherwise I think they would work fine. I'll just have to get a Tx Harley Guys Cap & try it.

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    My guess is the half moons on the 02-03 caps is to position the cap as to keep the faux bolts in the same position on the wheel. That is the faux bolt directly above the Bar & shield is always in the center of a spoke of the wheel. Just a guess though.
    Tazz

Always working
    Name: Big John

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Blu Buy U
    Tx, so what are you running with your reps? Oops! Saw you earlier post. 00-01 cap,... right? When I get your 03 cap I'll check it out on the FR's & see what's up,... thanks.
    Im useing the 00-01 caps. I didnt try to cut any of the half moons off of the 03 cap I tried, maybe I should.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz
    My guess is the half moons on the 02-03 caps is to position the cap as to keep the faux bolts in the same position on the wheel. That is the faux bolt directly above the Bar & shield is always in the center of a spoke of the wheel. Just a guess though.
    Tazz
    I think you are right on. It's funny how a manufacture could pay attention to so much detail like (hub cap orientation) & yet design a 4 thread head.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    OK, my finial post on this subject. 00-01 & 02-03 Centercaps will fit the Factory reproduction Wheels Period. The 02-03 Center caps require cutting the alignment / orientation tabs off,.. a simple 5 minute process with a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel.
    The pic's below explain it all. I wish I had all this information from the start on the Factory Reproduction wheels. I hope this post will help answer questions for others considering buying same.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thumbs up

A special thanks to Tazz (Mark) & TxHarleyGuy (John) for supplying me with the centercaps at little or no cost so I could do this trial fitting without costing an arm & a leg. Mark & John are standup gentlemen! Thanks again guys!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast