Thread: Smoothing/Painting Tailgate Handle and other Plastic Parts

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Smoothing/Painting Tailgate Handle and other Plastic Parts

Since everyone wanted my smoothed/painted tailgate handle, a few people that did not get mine asked how to do it to theirs. So I thought I would write this up for others.

I ordered the keyless black plastic handle from the dealer but you can do the same process with your stock keyhole plastic handle too. Since I put a "Pop-Lock" in the tailgate to electronically lock/unlock the tailgate in conjunction with the doors using the fob, I did not want the keyhole in the tailgate handle any longer so I ordered the one for it without the keyhole. The new keyhole-less handle cost $33 from the dealer. The handle is ,essentially, a two-part assembly that is held together with two 5/4" long aluminum clevis pins. I removed the clevis pins by simply cutting off one head of each pin with wire cutters and then pulled them out. Once the pins are removed, the two pieces of the handle can be separated and sanded (smoothed) with 220grit. Once the texture of the plastic parts is uniformly removed, I sanded the parts with 400grit wet/dry paper using water. Once smooth and clean, I then wiped the parts using paper towels soaked in isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) to ensure absolute cleaning of the part. I then used a tack cloth to wipe any dust, etc off the part. I set the parts on newspaper and sprayed them with Bulldog brand paint adhesion promoter made specifically for painting plastic parts. The adhesion promoter drys in about 20 minutes. I then sprayed the parts with 3 coats of DSG (CX - color code) lacquer that I had mixed for me at the local WestCo auto paint supplier. Note that it is best NOT to prime plastic parts! The reason is because the less paint that is placed on plastic parts ... the better! ... much less chance of chipping! (the coat of adhesion promoter replaces prime coats). After the color coat dryed, I once again wet sanded the color coat and used the tack cloth on the parts. I then painted the parts with 2 coats of clear enamel "cut-in" clearcoat. When that dried I was able to put the two parts back together using 6/4" (one and a half ") long #6 brass screws, #6 stainless washers on either end of the screws, and #6 - 32 nylon locking nuts. I reinstalled the handle into the tailgate with the new "Pop-Lock" electric locking mechanism and WA-LAH!! ... good to go!

The process for smoothing and painting the tailgate handle can be used for ANY plastic parts (dash, interior pieces, exterior mirrors, bed caps, cowl, etc, etc.) regardless of the color you choose.
    Last edited by '02 H-D #677; 05-09-2005 at 01:43 AM.
    aka LeeRandall - NHTOC #25

Around When I Can...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for this, now if i wasn't so lazy. Maybe next time i get grounded i will do something productive.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great tip!

Do you have any before/after pics? I would like to see the change and whether it matches the clearcoat of the original paint. I have a few parts I could do.

BTW...did the paint you bought from Westco come in a spray bottle or did you have to put it in one...if you put it in one what type of spray can did you use?

Thanks again!

-Kosta

Pain is Temporary...PRIDE is FOREVER!

"From time to time, the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." - Thomas Jefferson

"The objective of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - General Patton

-----------------------------Click Here for my gallery-----------------------------

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Putty

What about any special spot putty for plastic for scratches and small imperfections?
    IN MEMORY OF
    Blake (Fuzion) Finnel 12-3-1986 - 08-11-2007
    NHTOC #120

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

553-558 14lbs
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So like for interior peices sand with 220 grit first then wet sand with 400 grit then where do you get that bulldog stuff

**** starter
    Name: Jon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Maybe next time i get grounded

just get caught with some hottie in your room after hours - call me and try to explain to your parents that some big league pitcher was trying to advance your education.

it might work.....

FEATURED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    TTT

LEE, PLEASE CHECK YOUR EMAILS!!