Thread: Should I be worried. Engine ?

Gone but never forgotten
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Should I be worried. Engine ?

As some know I'am ordering a new whipple supercharger for my 2000 as soon as they are released. Some le have been saying that my motor( internally ) might not be strong enough to sustain all the power.

Will my engine be alright after putting this supercharger on and will I have any room to throw some more power goodies on it without changing rods pistons etc....

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Our block's seem to be good for 450 or so HP.
    IN MEMORY OF
    Blake (Fuzion) Finnel 12-3-1986 - 08-11-2007
    NHTOC #120

Gone but never forgotten
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the block Iam not too worried about, its the rods and pistons.

Kenne Bell and SCT PRP
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    you might have a problem with the tranny also. I think the older HDs had the 70??? tranny vs upgraded ones in the 02 and 03

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by Maverik2000
    the block Iam not too worried about, its the rods and pistons.
    That is what I was referring to.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by ACWALSH8
    you might have a problem with the tranny also. I think the older HDs had the 70??? tranny vs upgraded ones in the 02 and 03
    Or maybe a monster box..

Member # 125
    Name: -

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    TUNE TUNE TUNE TUNE! Do not jump on it at all until it sees a dyno and wideband o2

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Check the tranny it is prolly the 4R70 tranny and not the 4R100 tranny. If you try to run the same amount of power as the 02-03's on the 4R70 tranny it will not last. Also the NA 5.4L engine has different pistons than the SC 5.4L and will not handle the power as well. The SC 5.4L has a lower compression ration than the regular 5.4.
    Mike

Gone but never forgotten
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the tranny is included with the engine and it is the 4r100

Why would u say I need a dyno tune. JUst wondering.

Also the engine is on a stand right now so it wont be able to be compression tested or anything, i know it sounds like I might get a bad engine so what do you do in that situation

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you put a different SC other than the Eaton you will need a custom tune for that SC because of different flow rates and efficiencies of the blowers. You don't want to be lean or get detonation that will kill your engine.
    Mike

Procharged
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    With a good tune your motor should be able to handle around 400 rear wheel hp. And make sure and get an FTVB or some sort of aftermarket valve body and a deep tranny pan for more cooling. Ill have some updated numbers on my truck soon so ill test the limits before you do most likely. But im really looking forward to seeing what the whipple does compared to the ati. Overall i dont think you've got to much to worry about. And a good tune will most deff be the thing that has to pull the whole combo together, i would recomend SCT, thats what i use.
    Daily driver: 2001 Mustang Cobra- Eibach suspension, Tokico struts, Maximum motorsports full length subframes, 4.10 gears, MGW short throw shifter, JLT cold air intake, Bassani X-pipe, Bassani Catbak, full sound system

Project ride: 2000 Harley truck- Belltech 4/6 drop, custom 5 point rollcage, ATI procharged, custom built (billet) blower bracket, polished P1SC, custom built kooks longtubes, custom built 3in Xpipe, black MB motoring 22's, 42# fuel injectors, 90mm MAF, 255lph intank pump, 3.73 gears, built tranny w/ PI stall, full show sound system

Member # 125

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    These trucks need tune's stock. As for ANY modifications, I feel it is mandatory. If you could see what the a/f does w/ just a cold air kit through the rpm range you would be surprised. They will wander from 10.9 to as lean as 15.1 usually in the middle of the rpm range, then really rich above 4000.

Member # 125

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    by the way, the limit of the stock injectors and maf on an 01 is 350 hp and 500ft lb tq at the wheels.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think you'll be better off with a Procharger or Vortech blower. The reason is the compression and the way the kits setup. I think in the end it will give you more power for less money. I would build a motor tranny combo to sutie your needs. I think you'll spend too much chasing all the upgrades once you add the power. Get an 02-03 then slap the Whipple on then you'll be looking good.