Thread: Need some help!

Gone but never forgotten
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Need some help!

Okay I need my nhtoc brotherin to help me out.

I have to make a decision and Im a little unsure of what to do please help me out. I will give you two setups to choose from.

1. Order a new whipple supercharger for my 2000 from whipple and put down 365 rwhp right out of the box.

or

2. I just found out today that there is a 2002 H.D motor( complete) with tranny and compuiter etc.... and it is roughly the same price as the whipple.

Please put yourself in my position and tell me what you would do, im really confused now about ehat to do. Oh and I would have to drive from detroit to georgia to pick up the motor.

thanks

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Need some help!

I would go for the '02 engine and if not satisfied later on you still have the chance to put something else on that.

Plus the advantage of making some profit over the '00 engine you'll have spare...

Just my 2 cents...as you requested...
    #2256 built in 3/26/02 - 6# lower, 377HP/483TQ before the Whipple.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Lotsa variables. How many miles on the engine? What mods if any does it/did it have on it? Has it been run on a stand? Is there ANY warranty at all?
    JLP shortblock, Stage 3 heads and cams, 2.3 Whipple w/3" upper and 4# lower.Ba2800, Accufab, Pacesetter LT's, 60#inj, twin 255's, LFP efan, PI 2600 stall, Detroit Locker Tru-Trac, 58" LFP Tbars, Bilsteins all around, D.M.R. panhard, MT DR's. 564/598 on 15# boost

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mav
    Is it Chris's motor? Ayrton
    Mike

Procharged
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If i was you i would go ahead and go with the whipple or an aftermarket blower instead of doing the complete engine swap. Seems like to much effort for not enough pay off, you can build up your engine and tranny for pretty cheap actually. But 365 hp out of the box is nothing to laugh at, you can easily acheive 400 i think.
    Daily driver: 2001 Mustang Cobra- Eibach suspension, Tokico struts, Maximum motorsports full length subframes, 4.10 gears, MGW short throw shifter, JLT cold air intake, Bassani X-pipe, Bassani Catbak, full sound system

Project ride: 2000 Harley truck- Belltech 4/6 drop, custom 5 point rollcage, ATI procharged, custom built (billet) blower bracket, polished P1SC, custom built kooks longtubes, custom built 3in Xpipe, black MB motoring 22's, 42# fuel injectors, 90mm MAF, 255lph intank pump, 3.73 gears, built tranny w/ PI stall, full show sound system

Gone but never forgotten
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Im still leaning to the whipple mostly because its going to be alot of work just to get the motor and well my motor has been babied and I dont want to drive 16hours to get it

Name: Chris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well in order for you to run the Whipple anywhere near its potential, you will need to upgrade your fuel system, transmission and pistons. The N/A trucks do not get forged pistons, and in order for that to happen you will need to tear down the engine, and if you are going to do that, you might as well put in better rods and studs. That will add up real fast, and will easily add a few thousand dollars more to the project.

32V SC 5.4L #001
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Maverick2000,

I helped about twenty guys through the Lightning blower upgrade last year so I'm fairly familiar with this upgrade. Most of them stopped at about 350 HP, 440 TQ.

IMO, the limit for your engine (pistons) is around 400 HP, so the Whipple will be safe, initially.

The other issue you will have to deal with is your transmission. The 4R70W trans with a FTVB will live at 350/440, above that it will slowly die. The only option is then the Monster Box for $2640.

All things considered, I would go for the Engine/Trans swap, that's what I did after reaching almost 400 with an aftermarket blower, and I have never looked back.

At the risk of being considered a wet blanket, bear in mind, there are other expenses beyond the engine and trans that are not included. You will need an Engine Bay Wiring harness, Left Side Chassis Harness, Fuel Pump ungrade, Heat exchanger and Pump, exhaust system mods, and a host of other small parts to make the swap. If this engine is coming out of a wrecked truck, try to get as many of the parts as possible, they are of no value to the dismantler.

If you make the decision to do it, I will be happy to help you identify your requirements and offer my assistance during the swap.

Try it, you'll like it!

************************CLICK TO VISIT MAD'S SITE************************

'02, 32V, 5.4L #001, 14psi Whipple and a few other mods. 640 rwhp, 610 tq. CA Smog legal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by Madferraristi
    You will need an Engine Bay Wiring harness, Left Side Chassis Harness, Fuel Pump ungrade, Heat exchanger and Pump
    I am including the engine harness, heat exchanger and fuel pump.

I was a J-HO!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There is a banged up 2003 on ebay for 5000 or 6000. Looks like minor damage on the drivers side, and some missing interior parts. You may want to look at that for a parts truck.

32V SC 5.4L #001
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The deal sounds better all the time!

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    2 of our most knowledgeable folks just chimed in (although Ayrton may be a teeny bit biased) in favor of the engine swap. Have faith and confidence in buying from Ayrton plus the wisdom/support of MAD for your other needs. My 2 cents

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Lol…just a teeny bit.

I will give anyone that wants the engine anything I don’t plan to use, this would include the stock intercooler tank, engine harness, fuel pump, heat exchanger, airbox, and whatever else I can think of.

Gone but never forgotten
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just too let u know, I am not worriedd about the engine or any parts as I know you are very well known in this forum and your name speaks for itself.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I will second the quality and condition of the engine and all entrails that come with, I was there to supervise ( had a coke and left ) that day of the engine pulling.
    IN MEMORY OF
    Blake (Fuzion) Finnel 12-3-1986 - 08-11-2007
    NHTOC #120