Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Trouble codes p0171 and p0174.

Vader's Chauffer
    Name: Ryan

Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 01blueedge View Post
    After a week of waiting on parts to put the stock air box on my truck. I was told it was ready to be picked up today and was fixed. I wasn't to pleased with a truck I just bought being in the shop for a week so I talked the the general manager at the dealership and let him know what was going on and got a free tank a gas and 2 more free oil changes and a letter saying if the code comes back on in the next 90 days they would fix it free of charge. So I was ready to head home the salesman took my truck down to fill it up a guess what the see light came back on so the dodge dealership sent my truck to the ford dealership across the street so hopefully it will get fixed right this time.
    I'm not normally a told ya so kinda guy, but....see??? I am glad they are going to take care of it right, normally its a huge deal with a lot of braindamage to get it fixed right. Just a bummer that they still have it. I hope you get it before you make your first payment!!

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Did you retain the K&N CAI so that after the Ford dealer hopefully fix's your issue you can mod it again?

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

Name: josh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yea the k&n is in the back seat so it will be going back on I guess one good thing is now I have all the stock part to the air box now. I was also talking to my friend that works at the ford dealership and he is going to be the one working on it. He said he might get to it today but it will probably be next week before he can get it finished. The good thing is is that he lives down the street from me so I can get updates on it from the mechanic.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I got my truck today and it was the turkey pan tube it had to be be fixed back stock so I couldn't get them to do the bypass fix but if it happens again that will be my fix. I am also putting my cai back on tomorrow

Vader's Chauffer
    Name: Ryan

Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Good deal man, glad its back up and running...now to go back to the Dodge service dept and rub their nose in it!

Sold my 2002 BLK #9638 to my wife's uncle, Sold my 2003 BLK #6682 to a nameless man local to me.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Waite View Post
    Good deal man, glad its back up and running...now to go back to the Dodge service dept and rub their nose in it!
    They where the ones that sent it to the ford dealer so I think its funny I told them what was wrong with it and they said they checked it.

Great news that the truck is running good again.

Now that they put a new tube on it should be ok for awhile and now you know what the fix is for next time.

Enjoy!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm stuck with the code, sel turned on yesterday. Blahhh

Name: Benny

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I just had my truck pull up the same P0171 code, changed the PCV week later came back on hmm

Name: Allen

Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
    Benny, have you plugged the turkey pan yet?

Getting only the P0171 code indicates that you're lean on only bank 1 (passenger side of the motor). Unless you also get the P1074 code you need to concentrate your efforts on the possible causes that would only effect the passenger side bank (i.e O2 sensors).

A fuel delivery issue could cause only the P0171 code if you have a failing or plugged injector(s) on the passenger bank. Weak fuel pump(s) can also cause improper fueling. Our trucks supply the fuel rails in series (fuel feeds one rail then routes over to the other rail to feed it next). For the life of me I can't remember right now which rail is fed first. Knowing which rail is fed first is important in your case because it will help determine whether or not you should consider the need for fuel pumps.

Vacuum leaks typically effect both banks and will cause both the P1071 and P0174 codes simultaneously.

If it was caused by the MAF you should get both P0171 and P0174 codes simultaneously. Cleaning the MAF is a cheap and easy trouble shoot and should be done occasinally as a preventative maintenance procedure, but I don't think its the root of your code.
    Last edited by throttle jockey; 12-19-2016 at 01:53 PM.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I have not no, BUT I have an oil separator and just by looks it seems like it was already deleted maybe from the previous owner not to sure no line from the PCV or separator look to be running down to the turkey pan. I am getting the P0171 code which is lean on bank one according to a auto parts store that read the codes for me. So by your great knowledge I assume the 02 sensor and a plugged or failing injector I am going to have to look up how to replace this things.

Reread my last post because I edited it slightly.

Injectors are easy to swap but they aren't cheap. Don't start throwing money into unknown solutions just yet. Always start with the cheap and easy.

O2 sensors aren't difficult to replace, kind of a PITA though since they're aren't always easily accessible. There are two O2 sensors on each back. One one each bank is close to the manifold, one on each bank are after the cats in the midpipe section.

IIRC the sensors are 21mm. They can be hard to break loose so I don't advise using the open end of the wrench because you risk rounding off the edges of the hex and/or busting the **** out of your knuckles. Unfortunately the electrical connector doesn't fit through the box-end of the wrench. For these reasons I recommend buying (or making) an O2 sensor wrench.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    gotcha, so fuel pumps, injectors or O2 sensors are my main concerns. To start I will go with O2 sensors in which case I know there are two so I guess its safe to assume start with the passenger side since its bank 1?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast