Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Trouble codes p0171 and p0174.

Name: Benny

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    wait so let me make sure I am tracking, there are four on one side alone?

Name: Allen

Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
    Two O2 sensors per side.

I don't know what your main concerns are, I'm simply pointing out the items that most logically effect only bank 1.

First and foremost... start with the cheap and easy. Personally I'd rather eliminate the cheap and easy possibilities first, even if the likelihood of them being the culprit is small. I HATE wasting money chasing gremlins.

You intend to clean the MAF... good! I doubt its the solution but MAF cleaner only cost $5 and cleaning the MAF takes only
    a few minutes.

Visually inspecting all vacuum lines... free but a little more time consuming and more of a hassle. If you are very familiar with the sound of your truck then you might be able to hear vacuum leaks with the engine at idle. I have caught a couple of vacuum leaks over the years because I could hear the atypical, sucking/whooshing sound of the leak. Open the hood, start the truck, and start listening.

With the truck running you can also diagnose vacuum leaks using brake cleaner. Spray the vacuum lines with the brake cleaner, if the idle changes then you likely found a leak which allowed the engine to draw in the brake cleaner, causing the change of idle.

O2 sensors get old and need to be replaced eventually so replacing them as a means of trouble shooting isn't a complete waste of time and money even if replacing them doesn't remedy the code.

You can troubleshoot the fuel pump by purchasing a cheap mechanical fuel pressure gauge. This is a good measure to save yourself the hassle and expense of replacing the pumps blindly.

Injectors can be cleaned and tested professionally. Its an option worth considering if you find yourself troubleshooting the injectors. Counterpoint... why spend money to clean/test old, worn injectors when that money could be applied towards brand new injectors.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    That's exactly what I am trying and also hate doing wasting money chasing "gremlins" now that you have filled me with this knowledge I am no longer concerned about cleaning the MAF. THANK YOU TJ!! your eliminating the gremlins for me.

I didn't say not to clean the MAF, I said that its probably not the issue. Clean the MAF... its cheap, easy, and should be done occasionally regardless.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Yea now that it came up and is cheap and easy I will knock it out, but the O2 sensors are first.

Why spend $100 on O2 sensors before spending $5 on MAF cleaner? Why spend an hour or more replacing O2 sensors before spending 10 minutes to clean the MAF?

Its too bad you're not out here so I could lend a hand.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Agreed! I would have loved to stick around and turn some wrenches with you fellas out there, I see Sean and a few of the others did some work to his shamu

Huh?
    Name: Philip

Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
    Correction. I stood there asking questions mostly. Other than that I got to show Sean how little power a 2000 has compared to his.

'03 Shamu/Build #04441
    Name: Sean

Liked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilthyPhil View Post
    I got to show Sean how little power a 2000 has compared to his.
    Good luck Benny.

Yeah but it runs real strong and the suspension feels nice and tight. Besides, your the only one in the group with an '00;) Being stock, mine's slow compared to TJ's and SoCal's but I'm okay with it (for now). It's still pretty quick for a truck!
    JBA Coffee & Cars 06/12/2016

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilthyPhil View Post
    Correction. I stood there asking questions mostly. Other than that I got to show Sean how little power a 2000 has compared to his.
    LMAO!! Did he enjoy the ride?

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Thank you Sir, I did get around to cleaning the MAF out tho stopped by the auto parts store on the way home and got some MAF cleaner it was much easier than what I anticipated now I just have to look for some O2 sensors I believe I can get them cheaper online that local parts store.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    So upon my search online for this O2, I want to go ahead and replace the front passenger side I am finding there is a "upstream" and "downstream" so I am assuming I need the "upstream"? correct?

Huh?
    Name: Philip

Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
    I bet not only enjoyed it, but appreciated it. Otherwise he would have been walking to the parts store.

But thanks for the compliments Sean, I do appreciate it. 👍

14. The Following User Liked PhilthyPhil For This Useful Post:

BENNY832 (12-20-2016)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    So I'm at the mechanics shop trying to pin point the reason I am pulling a P0171 code they are running smoke through the system and they say it's comeing from the back of the intake somewhere but cannot pin point it,they all the hoses that run to the back of the intake are fine and I THK the turkey pan alone is deleted, any thoughts ?

Name: Byron

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Had that problem did a turkey pan delete problem gone if you have small hands you do it but it's a pita

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast