Thread: Sub Blown?

Drivetrain Calibration
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sub Blown?

I had a couple of questions for the car audio guru's. I have a JL stealthbox that I think I just blew the sub on. I just started the truck a few days ago and I heard a weird sound, I turned on the radio and the sub sounded weird. To me it sounds like one voice coil is out. So to check that, do I need to OHM each individual coil, or can I tell just by checking the leads?

Is it tough to replace the sub in that box. I didn't do the install and I haven't really been into car audio in several years.

Thanks
    Ryan

Clean and SLOW!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i would check the ohms by just seeing what reading the meter gets at the wires going to the amps...if it hovers around 4 ohms your good. also push it in with your hand and see if its "crunchy"as far as changing the sub it isnt bad, hardest part is getting it out of there. changing the sub just involves removing the screws and then pulling it out of the box.
    Forget about GO, im all Show-n-AUDIO!

"The Definition of Rolling Thunder"
    If you build it DBzzz will come!

Slowest 03 HD n the WORLD
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jvillefinest View Post
    i would check the ohms by just seeing what reading the meter gets at the wires going to the amps...if it hovers around 4 ohms your good. also push it in with your hand and see if its "crunchy"as far as changing the sub it isnt bad, hardest part is getting it out of there. changing the sub just involves removing the screws and then pulling it out of the box.
    yeap yeap...

also

ryan what amp are you running??? i maybe able to get you a replacement sub... just need to know the amp your running...

are you sure it wasent the "thump" you get with some amps when you first power the vehicle on...

Drivetrain Calibration
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jvillefinest View Post
    Thanks I forgot all about the feeling. I know exactly what you're talking about.

ryan what amp are you running??? i maybe able to get you a replacement sub... just need to know the amp your running...

are you sure it wasent the "thump" you get with some amps when you first power the vehicle on...
    Dallas I'm running an older Alpine MRD-M300. It's a V-12 mono 300 watt amp.

Thanks fellers

Ryan

Formerly "mlelsafe"
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Mine started sounding weird, like a little hollow. I found one of the RCA jacks wiggled loose where it plugs into the amp. Plugged it back in and it's been working fine for over a year. Might also check your ground wire on the amp. Sometimes the easy stuff will get you to disassemble the whole thing to find it was a 30 second fix! Hope this helps.
    Mike

4Sale in the classifieds
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I replaced mine with a Alpine Type R.

That should be the best "fit" with the demensions on that box!!

Drivetrain Calibration
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    C Dillion, how does it sound?

Also I ohmed the sub, the readings don't bounce around much, they go between 5 and 6 ohms. I thought if it was blown, it jumped ALL around.

Clean and SLOW!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    not exactly it would just be really high or none at all

4Sale in the classifieds
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sounds great!