Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: which wax?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The sealent is always a need to use, but should be applied after each step. As for the wax, a high end wax should be applied. It will protect the paint from UV rays, harmful tree sap, bird droppings and so on. This is not a one step process though. Wax has to be replenished every so often. A good detail job should last at least six months to a year with proper intermediate care.

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    IHMO A quality sealant as your LSP (Last Step Product) will last up to 4-6 months
    A couple of my favorite sealants are Blackfire Wet Diamond and Zaino Z-2 $30-$15
    Both of these have different "looks" to them

IMHO most quality waxes may last up to 3-6 weeks
    One of my favorite waxes for longevity is Collonite 845 (2-4 months) $15
    One of my favorite waxes for "looking good" is Pinnacle Souveran (1-2 weeks) $100

Sealants "as a rule" give a shiny wet look
    Carnauba waxes "as a rule" give a deep wet look.

I don't even know where to begin with my list of sealants and waxes
    I probably have enough LSP products to last me ten lifetimes.
    Purists love the depth and warmth of a quality carnauba wax
    Me, I personally like the shine and longevity of a sealant

Preparation is the key to a superior finish!
    If your paint is polished correctly then any wax even a $2.98 version from Wally World will look good.
    Again the key to a "Show Car" finish is not in the LSP but the preparation of the paint beforehand.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey Merlin. great list of products. Have you ever tried any of the chemical guys products? I guess it may be different up here in Canada but i have discovered that applying sealent after each final polish/ glaze, enhancer and wax that the shine, clarity and life span can be extended. The sealent will actually lock in each step.

Quote Originally Posted by shdwcrew HD View Post
    ...I guess it may be different up here in Canada but i have discovered that applying sealent after each final polish/ glaze, enhancer and wax that the shine, clarity and life span can be extended. The sealent will actually lock in each step.
    What do you use as a sealant?

I personally polishing the paint with a machine then apply apply a sealant.
    I have had folks look at their vehicle before the sealant was applied and said WOW!
    They couldn't believe that the finish they were looking at did not have a sealant or wax on it.
    The sealant (or wax) is my very last step (hence the acronym LSP for Last Step Product)

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sealents will vary from synthetic polymer sealant like mequires (i believe #20) to natural sealents from chemical guys. I know at lot of them say last step product but like i said you get much better protection and longer lasting if the sealent is applied between each step. Depending on the paint quility I may use either the PC DA or the rotary PC. If i could get my pictures off my desktop i would post them but my kids turned it into a science project.LOL

Quote Originally Posted by shdwcrew HD View Post
    ...but like i said you get much better protection and longer lasting if the sealent is applied between each step.
    OK, skewl me on this?

If I polish with Megs D300, M105 or Poorboy's Master Cut then use a sealant...it takes 12-24 hours for sealant to cure.

Then the next day when I polish with M205 I would be removing the sealant by polishing the sealant away???
    Maybe we are referring to different products with the same generic "detailing name" as a sealant?
    (Paintwork Polish Enhancer, Paint conditioner, Paint cleansing creme, Finishing glaze etc.)

I have used Opti coat 2.0 of a few vehicles and when applying you need to be cautious of streaking.
    Streaking can be eliminated by lightly wiping with a microfiber during the initial 5 minute cure time.
    After OC 2.0 cures there is no removing streaks or even Opti Coat 2.0 without taking a buffer to it.

Which brings me to my next conclusion. If you polish with a medium polish, then apply sealant,
    then a fine polish for the next polishing step would remove any of the previously applied sealant.

I polish with a medium polish, refine the finish with a fine polish then even a micro-nano polish.
    I will admit I use a product and process between each type of polishing to clean the paint first.
    Once that is done then I apply a Last Step Product (LSP) to seal and protect the paint finish.

A day doesn't go by that I don't learn something new about new products, paints and processes.
    I have never heard of your process before to apply a LSP sealant between each step of polishing.
    I'm now interested in contacting a few folks (Meguiar's etc.) to discuss your process and results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2