Thread: Just blew out same spark plug for the 2nd time, whats the best kit to fix??

Name: Mike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just blew out same spark plug for the 2nd time, whats the best kit to fix??

Anyone know what the best kit is to replace the threads on a blown out plug? Its the furthest one back on the right while looking at the motor. Its for an 02 with the 4 threads.

This same thing happened about a month or 2 ago and I just replaced the plug and retorqued it and its been running fine since then. I know there are only 4 threads, but it doesnt make sense why it would keep loosening up like this. My guess is the threads must be damaged, but any opinions would be much appreciated.

I heard the time sert kit is the best ( or most expensive anyway ), but want to get some opinions from people who know more than I do.

Is there anyone that would be willing to rent out the kit to replace the threads? I loaned a flywheel locking tool to another member here and would love some good Karma to come my way in a time of need, lol

Thanks,

Mike D.

Name: Rich

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    Which ever kit you get make sure the insert is made of aluminum. The steel ones can create hot spots and cause detonation.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I found this kit but it has steel insterts. Can someone point me in the right direction?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wmr-w83164

Sport90's #1
    Name: Matthew

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    Time sert kit is definitely the way to go if you have a blow out. Hopefully someone on here has one that they can loan out to you.

Looking online at Timesert's website they say the aluminum inserts have a "A" designation on them for the part number....when you search for inserts to buy look for the "A" desigination. You can always go to timeserts website for the part number to seach by.
    Last edited by oki916; 11-30-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Name: Rich

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by starline View Post
    I found this kit but it has steel insterts. Can someone point me in the right direction?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wmr-w83164
    Says steel so I wouldn't use it. I remember a company named lock and stitch but not sure if they are steel also

Name: asdfasfasdf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    When I worked for ford as a master tech and engine tech we repaired these all the time. Heli coil not an insert. The inserts totally screw the head up and if the insert ever comes out with the plug your odds of repairing it are very slim. The heli coils do not come out and they thread the hole completely. Its done in chassis with the intake and fuel rail on just be sure the valves are closed otherwise the tool used to thread the hole will catch the edge of a valve and we all know what that will do! My suggestion is based on years of using heli coils at a ford dealer with no issues ever, never a come back, never a failed attempt to repair a hole and its the least invasive of all the procedures for what its worth.

Name:

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    best fix...replace with 8 threads of 03 HD or 03-04 L...Better yet a set of aftermarket heads What plug are you using...Have a theory that is not proven but I have seen a lot of NGK tr7 pop out for some reason..my Iridiums have not popped but my TR did...Thread Pitch???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Molly View Post
    best fix...replace with 8 threads of 03 HD or 03-04 L...Better yet a set of aftermarket heads What plug are you using...Have a theory that is not proven but I have seen a lot of NGK tr7 pop out for some reason..my Iridiums have not popped but my TR did...Thread Pitch???

Im using NGK TR6 plugs. If you really think your theory is true then I have no problem replacing with iridiums.

Just an update, I have my mechanic fixing it and hes only charging $200 and has always done good work for me before, so hopefully it will work out. What I thought was interesting, I asked him how he was going to keep the metal chips from getting in the cylinder and he said he would have the intake valve slightly open and would pressurize the intake that would blow air out of the spark plug hole.

That sounded like a pretty good idea that I havent heard of on the forums and I also let him know to use alot of grease and clean it often and also vacuum the cylinder. So hopefuly it comes out ok.

Mike

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ran nothing but tr6 and br7 in my truck and NEVER had a plug back out on my 02 truck. TQ to 13-15ftlbs, never an issue