Thread: 2002 HD blown head gasket or cracked head

Name: luke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2002 HD blown head gasket or cracked head

Last night I was running top speed at about 4000rpm for ten or fifteen seconds. The only mod I have is I tuned it for 93 octane, the motor has 130,000 miles. The motor lost power and started skipping bad. I got it home and there is oil all over the chassis, water in the oil also. I work at shop, so I'm going to put it on a lift monday. I have searched for some short block options. I thought I should check here and see what route you guys went. I plan to do a complete engine build and try to get 400+ horsepower. I'm also going to build the transmission while I have the engine out. What is the best combination of parts and possibly aftermarket heads for this project?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Anyone used the promar longblock, looking for headers, l&s oil separator, and some things to make the engine look good

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey guys, after researching the site for most of my questions about setup and all I have decided to get the JLP short block, cnc heads, stage 2 cams, and send the SC off to get ported. What would you suggest as far as fuel delivery. I have seen a few different options. I know I need two fuel pumps. I'm not sure of what size injectors I need or if I need another mass air meter. Also, I've tried contacting stiegemeier about the porting but I haven't heard anything back from them. Any other reputable companies for SC porting? Thanks in advance for any help.

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    you won't need new fuel pumps for ~400hp. What pulley's were you planning to go with after it's together?

With a built short block and ported blower, I'd suggest an +8 or +10lb lower pulley with the stock upper. You'll want to upgrade to an SCT BA-2600 MAF and get the truck dyno tuned to make sure everything is safely setup and working right. That would get you in the 500+rwhp / 600rwtq range.

The stock fuel pumps should be fine into the 450-500rwhp neighborhood, upgrade them to duel 255lph high pressure walbro pumps and use 60lb injectors and you'll be good to near the 700rwhp range, at which point you'll also need to upgrade the fuel rails to something that can handle more fuel flow. These are things you would not need to worry about with a 400-500rwhp build.

I used steigemier for my ported eaton, and I am extremely happy with them and their service. I paid a little extra to have them ship me one already done and then ship mine back after receiving it so my truck wouldn't be down long. Huge difference in top end power.
    2002 DSG HD #09617 NHTOC Truck of the month November 2012
    Ported eaton/plenum/tb, 6lb lower, SCT BA-2600 MAF, OBX longtubes, JLP intake, FTVB, L-spec bilsteins, Hotchkis TVS, 22" replicas. Tuned by Ray McClelland of FTK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the info Blind. I wasn't sure when I needed to upgrade the fuel system. I've found a dyno tuner for the diablo here in Alabama, TDC performance in Mobile. Getting off work during the week will be difficult in December. Do you think I will be fine running the stock mass air meter through the break in period of the new engine? I decided to replace the water pump before installation. Are there any other parts that should be replaced/updated while I'm doing this build?