Thread: Tap accessory delay for radio

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts

Tap accessory delay for radio

I completely forgot that my truck keeps the windows powered until a door opens after being shut off until recently. I seem to recall the stock radio also stayed on as well. But with an aftermarket deck this is no longer the case.

The aftermarket decks have an accessory power lead which triggers a relay in the headunit to power up off the main fused constant 12v lead. If I can tap that accessory power lead to come off the trucks accessory delay relay I would be golden and it wouldn't put an extra load on the relay either.

Does anyone have the fuse box diagram for a 2002? I've only been able to ID that the relay for the accessory delay power is in the drivers kickpanel. If I have to I could tap off of that, but I would prefer to install an 'add a fuse' tap at the fuse box if possible.

I've decided to do this after another accidental phone call hangup while I was talking to my dad over bluetooth and parked the truck, shut it off and had to call him back...this doesn't happen in my wife's `08 mustang as the radio stays powered by the accessory delay.

Word

Aha I think I found it.

On the owners manual, underhood () fuse 601 is labeled as fuse rating CB (circuit breaker ) and listed for "Power Windows, Moonroof (SuperCrew only).

Other trucks have a 60 amp fuse marked 110 underhood for "Accessory delay relay (Not used on SuperCrew).

So looks like if I want to add this, I will need to tap off the circuit breaker. There's gotta be a spot inside the dash area to tap into this. Where is the power rear slider plug located in the dash? Behind the headlight switch? I have a solid rear glass so I would never need it, but if that's powered up via the delay like the other windows I could tap into that.
    Last edited by Blind; 03-27-2013 at 01:19 PM.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Yeah, I think you're on the right track.

Here's a thread where someone else thinks that the rear window slider plug is located behind the head light switch too.
    http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/2000-20...1862-what.html

Word

Started looking back into this again, here's a how-to in case anyone else wants this function:

Keep your HU on after the key is out(until doors open) - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans