Thread: fuel pump ???

Fred Flintstone
    Name: Scott

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

fuel pump ???

Stage 7 port, BBK tb,C&L plenum K&N CAI Venom cooler,full exhaust no cats and tune from Mike Marillo. 440RWH!!! Going to replace fuel pumps is there really a need to up grade or will new stock due? Heard a lot of problems in up grade to 190 or 255 is it worth the hassle? Any gains to be had if I am not going built motor ,or after market blower.

Fred Flintstone
    Name: Scott

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No cares to throw me 2 ¢ !!! Not doing any more mods, just want to know should I go to a larger volume pump?

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    If your not changing anything, and its working fine with the stock pumps now, then no need to upgrade. Im dyno'd at 438/520 on stock fuel system.

Best to talk to your tuner though, he knows where everything is at with your truck specifically.

Name: Allen

Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
    Murillo is one hell of a Mustang tuner, not so much with Lightnings/HDs as I've heard. When I lived in San Antonio I opted to make the drive to Houston to tune with Patrick at PSI Motorsports.

Fuel pumps are not a performance upgrade, but they do cover you for future growth. Honestly I'm surprised you aren't out of injector and/or pumps at 440 RWHP.

A tune revision is not needed for just pumps. There are some different opinions on the longevity of Walbros and how to prolong their life. There's a reason Walbros have been a staple fuel system upgrade in these trucks for several years, they work. Whether you run them with the factory drop voltage set-up or wired to run at constant full-voltage seems to be the biggest deciding factor in how long they last.

Name: Benny

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by throttle jockey View Post
    Murillo is one hell of a Mustang tuner, not so much with Lightnings/HDs as I've heard. When I lived in San Antonio I opted to make the drive to Houston to tune with Patrick at PSI Motorsports.

Fuel pumps are not a performance upgrade, but they do cover you for future growth. Honestly I'm surprised you aren't out of injector and/or pumps at 440 RWHP.

A tune revision is not needed for just pumps. There are some different opinions on the longevity of Walbros and how to prolong their life. There's a reason Walbros have been a staple fuel system upgrade in these trucks for several years, they work. Whether you run them with the factory drop voltage set-up or wired to run at constant full-voltage seems to be the biggest deciding factor in how long they last.
    So PSI motorsports in Houston is a good recommendation for the Houston area !?

Name: Allen

Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
    I tuned with PSI Motorsports in January 2008 when Patrick was the owner and sole tuner for the shop. My tuning session was days before he moved the operation to the new, larger shop. Back then Patrick was a top tier, reputable L/HD tuner. Over the years I have heard very little if any negative feedback about the shop's tuning although the shop's growth led to the addition of more tuners. I believe Patrick still tunes. The one common complaint about PSI after the operation moved to the larger shop years ago was that it became increasingly difficult to get ahold of Patrick due to the heavy volume of business.

The Houston area has an amazing L/HD community. There are a couple of them that are amazing tuners (tbonemcneil, Bird) but I'm not sure how they go about tuning for other owners. You could find them on Lightning Rodder and inquire with them.