Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Valve Body & Drain Plug Install

Name: Robert

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Valve Body & Drain Plug Install

Well, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Punisher VB street version. Are there any tips or tricks to installing it? I’ve heard it’s pretty straight forward. I just always like to ask because I’m one of those people…“what can go wrong …WILL”. If there’s a bolt to be stripped, I’ll strip it, if there’s a plastic tab to break, I’ll break it. I was also going to install a drain plug. What’s needed for the install, just a bolt and washer? Does anyone have a part #/bolt size?

Merlin, where did you get the “Do Not Flash" ODB-II Port Plug?

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    VB install is pretty straight forward. About a 45 minute job, the only thing that takes time is there are so many bolts between the pan and the VB itself. Just make sure you have a in/lb torque wrench, not a ft/lb torque wrench. The VB bolts only need about 100in/lbs to tighten them. The are long and skinny bolts. If you try to torque them with more than that, they will break. As far as adding a drainplug, I just purchased a 4x4 f150 pan for extra fluid capacity, and it comes with a drain plug (About $50). If you want to add one, and decent size nut and bolt should work (1/2" dia or so). Drill a hole, weld on the nut, and the bolt becomes your plug. Dont forget to pick up a drain plug gasket to keep it from seeping oil. Also, if you are just swapping out the VB, dont forget to pick up about 8 quarts of MERCON trans fluid to fill her back up.

If I recall correctly, there is a How-To in the appropriate section with photos and exact torque spec's that should help you out.

Name: BRIAN

Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts
    HUGHES transmissions has a nice 4 quart extra pan with drain plug on it. I have that on my truck. As far as the valve body goes its pretty cut and dry unbolt it bolt new one back up. Make sure your torque specs are correct dont overtighned it

aka not rite
    Name: Bob

Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 03HD#78 View Post
    Well, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Punisher VB street version. Are there any tips or tricks to installing it? I’ve heard it’s pretty straight forward. I just always like to ask because I’m one of those people…“what can go wrong …WILL”. If there’s a bolt to be stripped, I’ll strip it, if there’s a plastic tab to break, I’ll break it. I was also going to install a drain plug. What’s needed for the install, just a bolt and washer? Does anyone have a part #/bolt size?

Ha ha. I see you have my same superpower. .....I could break a steel ball . When most people take 30 min. to do some mod it takes me an hour and a half! Lol I will give some of the credit to my OCD .

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Yeah, I always say, I could break a crowbar in a sand pile.

6. The Following User Liked 03HD#78 For This Useful Post:

B.O.B. (02-23-2016)

Name: Shawn

Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
    I'm a firm believer in taking your time. Yes it takes me longer to do things, but I'd rather do it right without damaging anything.

The install is very easy. I went with the ford 4x4 pan and filter when I installed mine.

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    Here's a thread I did when I did mine.
    http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthr...light=punisher

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    [QUOTE=SLOWBRA;615686]I'm a firm believer in taking your time. Yes it takes me longer to do things, but I'd rather do it right without damaging anything.

The older I get the more I do slow down and take my time although, it never fails....I'll drop a nut down into something and it takes an hour get the nut back or I find the one bolt that you can only turn one click of the ratchet at a time.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Here's a thread I did when I did mine.
    http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthr...light=punisher
    That's the thread I read that finally made me pull the trigger on the Punisher VB. I just always like to ask for tips or tricks (see my last post) crowbar and sand pile.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Waawhoo my VB is out for delivery on the FedEx truck. Can't wait to get home. I just might have to get "food poisoning" at lunch...

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Waawhoo my VB is out for delivery on the FedEx truck. Can't wait to get home. I just might have to get "food poisoning" at lunch...
    Oh the sacrifices we make to enjoy our rides!

13. The Following User Liked cayman150 For This Useful Post:

SR81 (03-04-2016)

Keep us posted

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Got it installed. The install was straight forward and only took about 30 minutes. One of the few times of my “shade tree mechanic career”, I didn’t strip or lose any nuts or bolts.
    I definitely should NOT have waited so long for this mod. What FUN!!! Last weekend I put on a new set of Hankooks 295/45/20 and if I’m more than half throttle it will bark the tires from the 1-2 shift.

Got it installed. The install was straight forward and only took about 30 minutes. One of the few times of my “shade tree mechanic career”, I didn’t strip or lose any nuts or bolts.
    I definitely should NOT have waited so long for this mod. What FUN!!! Last weekend I put on a new set of Hankooks 295/45/20 and if I’m more than half throttle it will bark the tires from the 1-2 shift.
    What did you do for a transmission pan/drain plug?
    I have the same tires (I like 'em)...the best you can do (due to tire pattern) is rotate back to front because you press with the fun pedal.

Here's a link to a few different ones.

--> LINK

I heard A1 Transmissions no longer makes VB's. Is that correct?

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Correct, A1 no longer makes VB's. He doesn't have time for them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast